Ford Transit Midroof vs Highroof

MIman

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
It is time to replace my Express Ext. Have decided to go with a Transit. Has any one owned both a Midroof and a Highroof and if you have was there much difference in handling in high winds??

Prefer the Extra long body but since it is only available with the high roof I am wondering if it would be better to go with the long body with the midroof.

Thanks in advance for any information

Last edited:

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Drive a Sprinter here. I deal with the wind as best as possible. Just slow down a bit if it gets too windy for you. Long and tall in my book is the best for freight opportunities. JMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turtle and ntimevan

MIman

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Thanks Turtle & Treadmill, I can stand in both the mid & high, the only difference as stated is th available length (can't get the Extended Length in mid), Common sense dictates take it easy in high winds (especially cross-winds) just trying to find out if there is a huge difference between mid & high roofs in high winds.

MIman

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
FYI: Been in the game for quite a number of years, just never posted before ( crazy I know)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There has to be some additional effect due to the longer and taller "wall" for the wind to push against. Even so, if you have the self-control and discipline as a driver to slow down appropriately for the conditions it won't matter. You'll just arrive slightly later with your taller/longer load that's paying you money while the shorter vans are still waiting for a load. And bonus, between loads you'll have more room available for your golf putting and basketball dribbling practice. :)

MIman

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I agree ie: self-control & discipline, pretty good at both, have always had the mind-set that "No freight put in my van is worth my losing my life!!", the difference between the mid vs high roof is 9.3 inches, in my mind I don't feel it would be that significant ie: blown around.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Its all in how you drive in high wind....i mean yes a high top van is a wall on wheels but if your careful you should never have problems.....i say should because your not the only one out on the road.

MIman

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Amen, it's the other drivers I always watch out for, other drivers can be worse than any weather front.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've owned a few boats in my day, many of them sailboats. I currently have a long and tall Sprinter. I can confidently state that in high winds there is no difference between a sailboat and a Sprinter.