• GM diesel

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • GM gas

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Say you were going to build a hybrid (not elec but as in unique spec) van using an Aerocell 20' body and a 5500 series chassis. Would you go Ford or GM? Would you go gas or diesel?

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
GM Diesel in any chassis greater than a 3500.

If you were just going to drive it locally, I wouldn't be so concerned as to whether it was a Ford or GM chassis.

Now...expediting is another matter.

There are more GM service facilities nationwide than Ford and Dodge combined.

Should you need service...it will be much easier to find a Certified Diesel Tech for a Duramax, because the availibilty of GM facilities is vastly greater than those other brands.

You might consider an International chassis too.

The straight truck owners I have spoken with have only good things to say about International.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
David,

Thanks for your input. I was thinking either Ford or GM because of service options. International might be more problematic in finding locations. Also, I don't know if the Aerocell will go on an International, at least without extra cost modification. I've confirmed the GM 5500 chassis already and presume the Ford 550 would also work.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I may have a line on a team for my truck and if so I'm considering possibly going into a van for myself.

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Any Ford with duel rear wheels or anything larger than a Chevy 3500 DRW with a 10M GVW will make you a Commercial Vehicle. Do you really want that?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's only a matter of time until under 10k gvw will log as well. I don't mind. Anything beyond what falls within HOS is too long without a break anyway.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
Any Ford with duel rear wheels or anything larger than a Chevy 3500 DRW with a 10M GVW will make you a Commercial Vehicle. Do you really want that?

Ford now makes a DRW E-350 cab/chassis with a 10,000 even GVWR. I think they began offering them in model year 2007.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Interesting. So far 8 votes and all for diesel, even with the higher price of diesel.

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
I'll stick with my gas. I don't have to worry about fuel problems in the winter. I will not be carrying around the extra weight. I can get it repaired just about anyplace. It's less to purchase and much less to get repaired. And the idle laws, at least in some places only apply to diesels. That's my nickels worth.

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The Triton Gas engine in the Ford is quality have one E350 410,000 and one with 150,000 miles no problems.

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would still use gas engine for F550 or any truck from Ford until you reach the F650 or F750. Hope this clears up any confusion.