Ford 2006 Diesel

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Hi. any feedback about 2006 Ford Diesel 6.0? It is as good and reliable like the 7.3?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I am closing in on 170k on my '06 E350 with a 6.0, no big issues other than replacing 6 injectors. I had to have it towed once when the oil pressure regulator broke but other than those issues it was a solid motor with good power and reliability. Check out the user name Powerstrokehelp on YouTube, he goes over a lot of information on these motors and how to prevent problems.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

guido4475

Not a Member
There is a HUGE difference between the 6.0 and the 7.3. Bill from Powerstrokehelp.com will tell you that over the phone.It will cost close to 4 grand to bring a 6.0 up to 7.3 standards. As noted before, watch his videos on his website. 6.0's are known and prone to big internal problems.Some have good luck, many do not.I find it way more profitable to run a gas van.

Deville

Not a Member
From what I have read on various Ford forums & speaking to a couple of diesel mechanics the 6.0 was a terrible motor.

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
From what I have read on various Ford forums & speaking to a couple of diesel mechanics the 6.0 was a terrible motor.

When I bought my van three years ago I was offered my choice of an 06 with a 6.0 and 70,000 miles or an 03 with 7.3 and 142,000 miles at the same price. I asked two different mechanics and both recommended the 03 as the better buy. I am now approaching a half million miles and am glad I chose the 03.

guido4475

Not a Member
Any of you Ford van guys need a new Helwig rear sway bar, in the box, never installed,never used for 150 bucks?? I've got one.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I turned down buying a f250 2005 4x4 6.0 diesel other day for $3000 looks and ran good but is needing injectors it's only a $2000 repair. and before I was going to purchase the mechanic I use said avoid, run forget it.

I have had 3 7.3 and they are reliable and strong and quality built ford went down hill in 2004 on the diesels.

guido4475

Not a Member
I turned down buying a f250 2005 4x4 6.0 diesel other day for $3000 looks and ran good but is needing injectors it's only a $2000 repair. and before I was going to purchase the mechanic I use said avoid, run forget it.

I have had 3 7.3 and they are reliable and strong and quality built ford went down hill in 2004 on the diesels.

It wasn't Ford that went downhill, but Navistar that did, Who built the engines,trying to meet the EPA standards on them.The 7.3 was a very dirty engine, but ran and performed like a top.The 6.0 Was a mess.Same with the 6.4.The new one is supposed to be real good, This is Ford's first in-house built and designed engine, originally named the "Hurricane" engine by the engineers.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Quick question , I thought that Ford announced that the newest diesel would not be available in the Econoline series?

jimmy

guido4475

Not a Member
I am really interested to see what the ecoboost is going to do.I mean, it only puts out 385 horsepower in the new Ford Taurus police interceptor....lol....V-6, mind you...And with the mpg's promising to be close to 20 mpg, coupled with lower gas cost than diesel, etc, I think it may be the way to go.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
I am really interested to see what the ecoboost is going to do.I mean, it only puts out 385 horsepower in the new Ford Taurus police interceptor....lol....V-6, mind you...And with the mpg's promising to be close to 20 mpg, coupled with lower gas cost than diesel, etc, I think it may be the way to go.

A standard production V-6 producing 385 horsepower!!, all I can say is wow!. Shades of the Grand National Buicks.

jimmy

BlindDriver

Active Expediter
It wasn't Ford that went downhill, but Navistar that did, Who built the engines,trying to meet the EPA standards on them.The 7.3 was a very dirty engine, but ran and performed like a top.The 6.0 Was a mess.Same with the 6.4.The new one is supposed to be real good, This is Ford's first in-house built and designed engine, originally named the "Hurricane" engine by the engineers.

Incorrect. Navistar put a good 6.0 in their medium duty trucks. It took Ford engineers to screw it up by trying to get that engine to meet light duty truck standards. Idling clogs the EGR systems.

After several thousand dollars in modifications, it becomes a decent engine. But it's still not a 7.3 :rolleyes:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A standard production V-6 producing 385 horsepower!!, all I can say is wow!. Shades of the Grand National Buicks.

jimmy

Yeah the 1985 - 1887 grand national was one intense ride!!
Ludicras HP in a twin turbo V 6 package from the dealer.

Last edited:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Incorrect. Navistar put a good 6.0 in their medium duty trucks. It took Ford engineers to screw it up by trying to get that engine to meet light duty truck standards. Idling clogs the EGR systems.

After several thousand dollars in modifications, it becomes a decent engine. But it's still not a 7.3 :rolleyes:

Ditto,
Id walk away and get the 7.3

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I knew a hotshotter that ran a 1 ton Chevy Duramax . He loved telling of all the Ford 6.0's he hauled to the crusher after they were recalled under lemon laws . Ford was the major supplier of ambulance chassis until the 6.0 . The recalls made them stop putting diesels in the E-Series . The 6.4 was never available in a van .
One hotshot logistics company contracting hotshotters announced they would not contract Fords with 6.0's or 6.4's because of unreliability . The would contract Fords with 7.3's . The blue oval forums were infuriated and the Cummins and Duramax owners were ROFL

H

halldavid328

I have almost covered 204k miles on my '06 E350 with a 6.0 and still counting. My car broke down twice and had it towed three times when the oil pressure regulator broke but other than those issues it was a solid motor with good power and reliability. I'd definitely suggest to go for it :)

Ratchet Tie Down Straps

guido4475

Not a Member
I knew a hotshotter that ran a 1 ton Chevy Duramax . He loved telling of all the Ford 6.0's he hauled to the crusher after they were recalled under lemon laws . Ford was the major supplier of ambulance chassis until the 6.0 . The recalls made them stop putting diesels in the E-Series . The 6.4 was never available in a van .
One hotshot logistics company contracting hotshotters announced they would not contract Fords with 6.0's or 6.4's because of unreliability . The would contract Fords with 7.3's . The blue oval forums were infuriated and the Cummins and Duramax owners were ROFL

Up until the new 6.7 diesel, which is Ford's first diesel engine they made, all ofthe others were made by International.diesel availablity in the e-series was stopped when the new 6.7 came out.