For all you Electronic GURU'S Check this out...

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
common June 4th...first of all it's my dad's birthday lol, but why I said that is because the sweetest cell phone ever made (which will make the iphone 4g look like nothing) the HTC EVO 4g will come out with Sprint for $199...Check this phone out on Youtube it's amazing...I'll be getting one for sure...Will also make the DROID and INCREDIBLE look like ordinary stuff...here is a youtube link to watch the video on it...Absolutely amazing, you wont need a digital camera anymore or a camcorder or a laptop.......Gotta love technology these days...I am super excited for it! YouTube - Sprint HTC EVO 4G Android WiMax Smartphone Demo at CTIA

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
Same phone as my HTC HD2 I thinks.
BUT...youre gonna get Android.
Mine has the windows mobile thangy running. Lots of features mine has, but can be problematic sorting thru all the paths to apps and stuff. Thinking Android supposed to be alot more user friendly. I dont know if Id get to excited about that 4G stuff.
The actual download speeds are never close to what they advertise. At least that what im experiencing with krappy T-mobile

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Android isn't particularly user-friendly, compared to the iPhone. Not even close. But, it is insanely customizable, unlike the iPhone.

The new 4G technology does have the advertised speeds, and you can talk and surf the Web at the same time, but the biggest drawback very spotty 4G coverage. Right now it covers maybe 40 million people, and Sprint is hoping to expand that to as many as 120 million by year's end. That's nowhere near the kind of 3G coverage that the AT&T has, and Verizon's 3G coverage blows AT&T's out of the water. I can get 3G coverage in rural Wyoming, whereas you can't get Sprint's 4G coverage in Columbus, Ohio. Gotta pay the extra ten bucks for 3G ands 4G coverage all the time, tho.

They have coverage in about 13 Texas towns, and of course, Laredo isn't one of them. For some people, that alone may be a deal breaker. :D

aileron

Expert Expediter
Android isn't particularly user-friendly, compared to the iPhone. Not even close. But, it is insanely customizable, unlike the iPhone.

The new 4G technology does have the advertised speeds, and you can talk and surf the Web at the same time, but the biggest drawback very spotty 4G coverage. Right now it covers maybe 40 million people, and Sprint is hoping to expand that to as many as 120 million by year's end. That's nowhere near the kind of 3G coverage that the AT&T has, and Verizon's 3G coverage blows AT&T's out of the water. I can get 3G coverage in rural Wyoming, whereas you can't get Sprint's 4G coverage in Columbus, Ohio. Gotta pay the extra ten bucks for 3G ands 4G coverage all the time, tho.

They have coverage in about 13 Texas towns, and of course, Laredo isn't one of them. For some people, that alone may be a deal breaker. :D

Ken,
Are you sure you have to pay extra to have both 3g and 4g? I thought if there is no 4g available that it defaults to 3g. Can you point me in the right direction where I can read it?

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
on sprints website it states there is a mandatory $10 FEE for the 4g possibilities and there are 31 U.S. Cities that have 4g coverage, but by years end sprint says over 50 major U.S. Cities will have coverage...

Oh an Turtle, Funny guy with your Laredo not havin 4g jokes...;) I've only been there once in about 3 months now...;) Funny Guy lol

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
John Taylor is the primary spokesman for Sprint, and he lays out the reasoning for the $10 fee on his Blog (More Detail on the Sprint EVO 4G $10/Month Premium Data Charge)

Here's 4G Coverage and Speeds where you can check Sprint's 4G coverage. Select a state in the drop-down, and then in the City drop-down all the cities within that state will show up. Select a city and it will take you to the 4G coverage map for that area.

Sorry, I couldn't resist the Laredo crack. :D

What's happening now with Sprint's WiMax 4G technology is similar to what Verizon went through when they first rolled out EVDO (3G). Because the data requires different towers than voice data, new towers have to be installed, and it's the same with 3G and 4G towers. When EVDO first came out, it was only available in a few larger cities, and then spread outward from there. Now I can get 3G in some of the most bizarre places. Sprint will eventually get there, too. On the other hand, Sprint's WiMax (from Clearwire) is, for lack of a better phrase, a quick and dirty way to get 4G out there. Sprint plays it up like they've beat everyone to the punch, and they'd better play it up like that if they want to sell some phones, but Verizon will be rolling out LTE in 25-30 markets this year, and by 2013 the Verizon 4G coverage map will look like today's 3G coverage map.

Of course, that also means that Sprint's WiMax will have a 1-2 year head start on availability and usability. But Sprint won't be able to roll out massive coverage as quickly as Verizon, specially when you consider AT&T is also going to use LTE (as will nearly every other GMS carrier around the world), and Verizon and AT&T's towers will share each other's users. So with Verizon and AT&T teaming up installing towers, Sprint has to hit it hard and heavy from the get-go. Sprint can, at a later date, migrate or even piggy-back LTE on their WiMax network, but it's gonna cost them to do it.

There isn't really any "WiMax versus LTE" war going on, since they can be used together. LTE is actually better suited for front line access, and WiMax for the backhaul end of things (WiMax is used extensively in digital television surveillance, so it excels at efficiently transporting large amounts of data). For people who don't travel outside their immediate area very often, it'll simply come down to which one is available, since some people will have access to one or the other, some will have both. But travelers are going to eventually want to go with an LTE network, most likely.

The biggest upside to LTE and both Verizon and AT&T going with it, is that most phones will work on either network, so the carriers will have to actually employ things like excellent service to lure and keep customers, rather than exclusive phones. That's where Sprint may get burned in the long run, unless they migrate to LTE, as well. So far, neither Verizon nor AT&T have expressed any desire to make it easy for Sprint to join the LTE crowd, so Sprint is left with trying to get as many people quickly hooked on WiMax as they can, and then hope they don't jump ship later on. Since the differences between WiMax and LTE are really insignificant when you come right down to it, there won't be an reasons for people to jump ship for speed or other performance issues when LTE becomes available in their area. That's what Sprint is banking on.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There should be a requirement that before any company can put out 4G or anything else new they MUST provide basic phone coverage on 100% of the interstate highway system in the nation. It is absolutely ridiculous to be driving on I610 in Houston or I 465 in Indy or wherever and drop calls. I'd even include a ban on advertising in any market that doesn't have 100% interstate coverage.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
One of the things that drew me to the Droid was the real keyboard (because, you know, I'm an old fart, and old farts don't like change, and having a keyboard is minimal change). I find that I don't use it very often at all. Then again, I'm not a text message fiend, either. The voice recognition on the Droid is pretty good, and I can "talk" most of my text messages quicker than I can type them. Then there's "Swype" which lets me type awfully fast on the virtual keyboard.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Leo, c'mon. You're a Ham, right? You understand how radio works. They do have basic Interstate coverage, but often the handoff between towers while moving doesn't go smoothly, especially when handing off from one carrier's tower to another. That's no where more evident than trying to have a conversation while driving up I-65 between Franklin and Louisville, KY, where there are about 25 different carrier's towers up through there, all poised to have a bad handoff between each one. But, if you pull off and don't try to talk while moving, it's not a problem.

aileron

Expert Expediter
Thanks Ken,

I don't know how I missed that $10 extra charge. I might just keep my phone until it dies and then decide which way to go. 3g works pretty well for what I do right now.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's probably worth the ten bucks in you live in an area with WiMax, maybe not so much if you don't, and if you travel a lot. I remember when Verizon's EVDO first came out and I could watch streaming video. Kewl. Except that Lexington was the only place in Kentucky where it worked, and even in other large cities, you generally had to be closer into town than most truck stops, so it was useless to me. That's kind of the situation expediters would be in with Sprint's 4G right now. Two years from now maybe not, but right now that $10 wouldn't get you much.

It's clear the $10 fee across the board is a cash grab to help subsidize the infrastructure. And since it's a mandatory fee, you can look at that $200 price tag for the new phone and it becomes a $320 phone with $120 of it being deferred payments over 12 months at $10 a month. No way to get the phone without it. The phone's got "Wow!" written all over it, and Sprint is counting on "Wow!" being worth $10. For some it will be, especially if you live in a WiMax covered area. If I could get 6mbit speeds on my phone, I wouldn't be able to wad up $10 bills and throw them fast enough at Verizon. But it's that coverage that's the key. Without it, it's a wasted $10.

Last edited:

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just went to Best Buy and Pre-Ordered mine today for 50 dollars...I love everything about this phone...An not havin a physical keyboard doesn't bother me cause the phone I have now doesn't have one lol...:eek:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
One of the things that drew me to the Droid was the real keyboard (because, you know, I'm an old fart, and old farts don't like change, and having a keyboard is minimal change). I find that I don't use it very often at all. Then again, I'm not a text message fiend, either. The voice recognition on the Droid is pretty good, and I can "talk" most of my text messages quicker than I can type them. Then there's "Swype" which lets me type awfully fast on the virtual keyboard.

Speech to text is my new favorite feature, just remember to talk slowly and it is very accurate, at least for someone without an accent LOL