Football!!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I know watcha mean!!! If you follow the league deeply in the offseason, it's kinda like a boring mini-series, with a few chuckles along the way. What comes to mind is the Cardinals are supposed to be contending every year, according to the pundits. But internally, they are a wreck. Looks like two wins for my team. Go Hawks!!!

flattop40

Expert Expediter
At least your teams have been to the super bowl. Closest my team has ever been is hosting the superbowl and oh yeah an nfc championship game in the early 90's. They are one of just a handful of teams to never have been in the super bowl.

Yes you guest it, it's the DETROIT LIONS!!!!

Won't even get my hopes up for this year. They get rid of one of the best offensive minds in football. They have a GM that has no clue what he is doing and an ownership that has no clue how to build a championship team.

I will only get excited when the Ford's finally wise up and sell the team. Who knows, with the way the auto industry is right now that just might happen.

One can only hope!!!!

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
Flattop, it too bad you cant send your GM to the Vikings or Bears. There is a future GM in Green Bay that is showing a lot of promise. His last name is Wolf and he learned a lot from his dad.

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Flattop, it too bad you cant send your GM to the Vikings or Bears. There is a future GM in Green Bay that is showing a lot of promise. His last name is Wolf and he learned a lot from his dad.

I appretiate that eagle but until the Fords are gone I don't think it really matters.

We had the best running back EVER and he retired at least 5 years too soon just because they wouldn't put a winning team around him or let him go.

Its just sad..... we have the wings, pistons, and tigers all above average teams now and in the past but the lions???

I will root for my team but that doesn't mean I have to get excited or get my hopes up until the Fords are GONE!!!

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Being from the Detroit area, I have a soft spot for the Lions. I really think Manelli is the right guy to whip these guys into shape. If they get some protection for Kitna, and a running game, they'll have a serious shot at the division. But I agree about Millen. He has no idea of how to run a team.

The OL has not gotten better the whole time he's been here. Any football person in their right mind knows that you have to start at a foundation, and not look for the next Barry Sanders. He was an anomaly, in that he got his numbers running behind a terrible line. Shore up the OL, and you make a mediocre RB good; and a good RB great. Just look at Shaun Alexander... the OL MADE him what he was.

I have high expectations in the next two years... if Millen doesn't fudge it up AGAIN!

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
I'm thinking that I may have slightly divided loyalties this year, As a Seahawk fan from the first it'll be hard not to cheer for Jim Zorn and the Redskins.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Another Hawks fan?!?! Cool! :)

Jim Zorn is my all-time fav sports star. I was glad for him to get the position with the Skins, but pizzed the Hawks didn't make him offensive coordinator. To me, Gil Haskell is not the architect of our offense, and won't be a good one when the Walrus leaves after this season. Zorn would've made a good OC for us. Yeah... I'll be routing for Zorn, until they play the Hawks. But honestly, he seems too soft spoken to be a HC. We'll see.

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Tennesseahawk;258886 The OL has not gotten better the whole time he's been here. Any football person in their right mind knows that you have to start at a foundation said:
Hawk I could not agree with you more. Having played and couched high school football in the past the game is won in the trenches. OL & DL are the keys.

The lions have had decent DL in the past but the OL has been horrible. Sanders used to get knocked about the number of carries for a loss. That was because as soon as he touched the ball there were 2-4 guys on him as soon as he got it. Then to have the yards that he had was almost imortal.

But back to the OL. Look at all the great teams out there. They ALL have great O-lines. They open the holes for the backs and protect their QB's.

The speed guys get all the money, glamoure and the girls but its the big guys who win the championships.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Just thought of the perfect example. Emmit Smith was nothing more than a good RB. He got his records behind a great OL. In fact, he usually had 5 yds before he was even touched!

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Just thought of the perfect example. Emmit Smith was nothing more than a good RB. He got his records behind a great OL. In fact, he usually had 5 yds before he was even touched!

EXACTLY MY POINT.

If Sanders would have stayed in the league Smith would not have come close to the all time record. If Sanders had had an O line Smith wouldn't have come close to him.