Football Referee blindsided.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Both players have been suspended from the team and from school, pending the outcome of the investigation.

It could very well be that the referee hurt their feelings, so we'll just have to wait and see.

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
What kind of flawed thinking and decision making made these 2 clowns think this was a good idea?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Being from Texas.
That's why it stands out so much as being shocking. Texans don't often see within their state immature, adolescent behavior over something perceived to be unfair coming from people who are not adolescents. They see it in national liberal politics all the time, though, but those are adult children, not teenagers who should know better. :D

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Heard a report that the same referee had kicked 2 of their fellow players out of the game earlier ... for unnessesary roughness ... tv report..

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Heard a report that the same referee had kicked 2 of their fellow players out of the game earlier ... for unnessesary roughness ... tv report..
Correct. And a total of 4 players were ejected. Everything will be looked at including other players and the coaching staff that possibly might have been involved. It very well may be though that it was just the two players colluding.
The article excerpt below asks an interesting question IMO :
. The question will be whether anyone else gave them that idea, or whether they were just dumb enough to dream it up on their own. Suffice it to say that any investigation of this incident will also be taking a close look at other players on Jay High School’s football team, and their coaches as well — although it’s very, very difficult to believe that adults would be stupid enough to order this kind of brazen battery on an official. Not impossible, mind you, just very, very difficult. The game had already gotten out of hand earlier, resulting in the earlier ejection, so this at least reflects on the team’s leadership on the sidelines as well as between the lines.

Video: Working the refs gets dangerous in Texas high-school football game; Update: Survey results added

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, I read the Tweets from students (in the crowd and on the team) yesterday. At least at this point, I'm not buying the whole racial slurs thing. Even the alleged comment by the assistant coach sounds like something a teenager made up and worded in a way that an adult would have said it, only an adult wouldn't have said it that way. It's classic "show yer ass, play the race card" BS. Deflect blame, vilify the actual victim, assume the role of the bigger victim. John Jay goes from being the thugs on the field to a team that was unjustly persecuted on the field (those poor, poor players) and was left with no options but to fight back against the system in the only way possible, in the last few seconds of the game.

But, the school took the student's allegations of racial slurs serious and are in the process of filing an official complaint with the University Interscholastic League. //rollseyes//

“We still need to review the entire video and interview all the referees there that night. We would also like to interview as many coaches and players as we possibly can.” - because, you know, we might uncover something that makes blindsiding a referee completely justified and perfectly OK. We want to give these fragile young boys the benefit of the doubt.

“During the game, the players were feeling lots of frustration, by what they perceived to be missed or wrong calls by the refs,” says Northside ISD Communications Director Pascual Gonzales. I don't care. They were probably also frustrated because earlier in the game two differnet John Jay players were ejected from the game in two separate incidents when the took swings at players on the other team. I don't care how frustrated you are, you don't set up an ambush on a game official.

Stan Laing, the Northside school district athletic director, said that he hopes the incident serves as a teaching moment. "We're obligated to use this as a teachable moment ... As educators, we've got to take this opportunity to teach our young people two wrongs don't make a right." As educators, the teachable moment came before it ever happened so that it never would have happened in the first place. By saying this is a teachable moment to teach two wrongs don't make a right, you've just given full faith and credit to the unsubstantiated racial slur allegations (before the investigation is completed) and the feelings of frustration on the field, and have substantially mitigated the gravity of their behavior. There's your teaching moment.

“Given information we have, we’re not cancelling the John Jay football season,” explains Dr. Wood. “We’re not going to punish hundreds for actions of a few, we’ll use this as a teaching moment for students.” Yeah, well, the two students should be expelled from school, charges filed, and the remainder of this season's games should be forfeit. If any coaches are found to have been involved, then John Jay should get the death penalty, no football at John Jay for five years. The penalties in this must be severe enough to try to ensure this never happens again.

Reactions: muttly

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well you had me until the last comment which itself I'd unusual. Punish the guilty, the thought of punishing an entire team for the acts of a few is nothing but dumb.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well you had me until the last comment which itself I'd unusual. Punish the guilty, the thought of punishing an entire team for the acts of a few is nothing but dumb.
It's a team sport. You win as a team, you lose as a team. You jump off sides and the entire team gets pushed back 5 yards, not just the offender. That's why the entire team should be suspended for the rest of the year and all of the games forfeit.

And if any of the coaches were involved, then it's the program itself that is culpable and should be suspended for a considerable time. The fact that two different players, one of them the quarterback - a leadership position on the team (though while playing on defense), were ejected earlier in the game in two different incidents where they took swings at opposing players, and the coaches didn't take steps to prevent it from happening the second time, and then two other players go after an official, points more in the direction of a systemic problem with the program and the coaching staff.

Could it be the players are telling the truth about the racial slur? Sure, it's possible. The ref has a long history of not calling people racial slurs, though. Could it be the coaches ordered the hit? Sure, it's possible. Both have been given as the reason, and what is highly unlikely is these two very different explanations for the outcome both being correct. Another option is the players acted entirely on their own and without any direction at all from the coaches. If that's the case, the coaches have demonstrated a complete lack of control of their players, or they have fostered an atmosphere where players felt they could justifiably do such a thing. In either case, it's the program that needs to be suspended.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The coach for sure, not that I give the kids a pass. I'm having trouble buying the racial slur thing too.