Food!!!

Jimmy

Expert Expediter
Hello everyone,
My name is Jimmy. I've been an o/o expiditer for 3years now. Before that I ran local for 10 years. I haven't found on this forum any mention of good places to eat. By that I mean good food at reasonable prices.Not just the truck stop buffetts but good local resturants that you could get to easily.If I leave a few will ya'all leave a few
so if I'm in the neighborhood & have a chance I could chech them out& you could do the same.Here is some that I think are good stops.
1.Pioneer Resturant-High PointNCI85exit 111 1 mile N. on right.
2.Lexington Barbecue-Lexington NC Bus.85@US64 not much truck parking
but hey when I want Barbecue I drive 50 miles to Lexington to get it!
3.Sub-StationII-Greensboro NC I-85 exit124 1/2 mile north.Good home-made subs& about any kind of sandwich you could want& you can get a straight truck in there.
4.Nebo truck stop-Nebo NC-I-40 exit 90 good food reasonable price.
5.York Truck Plaza-York AL-I-20 exit8-I make a point of this being my layover point on trips westone of the best buffets for the money!
6.Uncle Roy's Laurel Ms.I-59 exit93?--real good Southern Food!!

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Jimmy,

One of my favorite topics...Food!

1. CHICAGO
Ok, a must is Chicago style hot dogs for when laying-over in the Windy.

Portillos - I suggest the classic Chicago dog!
Elk Grove Village (Just north of the old Denny's hang-out)
1500 Busse Highway
http://www.portillos.com/portillos/menu.asp

2. Ontario
Swiss Chalet Chicken
Wow, do these guys have fantastic Chicken! And with the exchange rate it is a GREAT dining experience. I recommend the Rotisserie Quarter Chicken meal - get the dipping sauce for the Chicken and enjoy!!

http://www.swisschalet.com/homepage.html

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------

Everybody is someone else's weirdo.

mj9287

Expert Expediter
My favorite Chinese is the exit just north of the Williams Truck Stop on I- 75 in Ohio. I am talking about the Williams at Exit 36 ?. I don't remember the exit number. Anyway if you know what Williams I am talking about between Cincy and Dayton, then head north on 75 to the next exit and turn right off the exit (left if going south). The chinese buffett is in the shopping center between the Kmart and I think Kroger. On the right. They have a cream shrimp that will make you slap your momma. It is completly peeled shrimp ( so there is no work in eating them) sauteed in garlic and swimming in butter. Oh its delicious.

Mark James

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I cannot go through Columbia SC without stopping off at a Lizards Thicket.There are about 5-6 of them off I 26/I 20 and US 1. For about $5.00 you can get a really good down home cooked Southern meal.

Brandy

Expert Expediter
The Petro Truckstop in Toledo, OH.off I-275 is top notch. They love to give big portions and are always on top of the salad bar keeping it clean and well stocked. If going into Mich. or coming out of it and you want a real good meal stop off there.

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If your are ever in Toledo, I suggest Tony Pakos. Take the Front Street Exit off of I280, and head North about 1 mile.

This is the place that Klinger talked about in the old series "MASH".
Aside from good Hungarian food, the place is really cool. They have famous people sign hotdog buns which are on display in cases on the wall.
Hooligan

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>>2. Ontario
>Swiss Chalet Chicken
>Wow, do these guys have fantastic Chicken! And with the
>exchange rate it is a GREAT dining experience. I recommend
>the Rotisserie Quarter Chicken meal - get the dipping sauce
>for the Chicken and enjoy!!
>
>http://www.swisschalet.com/homepage.html

In Montreal and at least one in west end Toronto look for St.Huberts Chicken. It's very similar to Swiss Chalet.
Don't forget, in Canada we don't serve mashed with KFC

Jimmy

Expert Expediter
Thank You,
I appreciated the replies you all sent. Copies of them are going in my "Road Food" folder I keep on the truck. I figure if I get enough recommendations I'll be covered! A couple more hard to find spots I've ate at that I thought were pretty good.
Fork in the Road-Somersville(?) Oh.---on OH38 like you going to Kenton
Back way for me on my way to Detroit. Good breakfast 2-3 eggs real home fries toast bacon coffee $3.95 plus tax & tip.
Also any of ya'all tried that Tudor's Biscuit at the corner of WV34&US35 Teay's Valley WV.Pretty good for "fast food" place.
Hot Dogs now that's a subject we could argue all night about!!!LOL
If you ever in the Burlington, NC area & want one ask somebody how to get to "ZACK'S" downtown. Greasy,messy but they sure are good they must be doing something rightbeen there since the 1920's.
Also try the "YUM-YUM" spring Garden St. Greensboro,NC it's also about
75-80 years old. Or the "The Dog House" N.Main High Point,NC Good "Dogs" too just not quite as old as the other two.
Thanks,Jimmy

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Hey thanks everybody for all the really good dining tips.
What I'm wondering now is what everyone uses for that ever-present heartburn that comes with all this good food and too much coffee??

x( x( x( x( x( x( x( x( x( x( x( x( x( x( x(

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Rolaids. All the way.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Everybody is someone else's weirdo.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Rolaids. All the way.
>
>Lawrence,
>Expediters Online.com
>
>
>-----------------------------------------
>
>Everybody is someone else's weirdo.
>
>-----------------------------------------

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
When with in a drive from Sikeston, MO don't miss Lamberts,
home of the "throwed rolls". A menue from a to z, and youse
big boys will really like the portions.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Where is Wild Bill? Based on his posts and photos Bill knows good places to eat. Fort Wayne IN has to have better places then that old ratty truck stop on I 69.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Where is Wild Bill? Based on his posts and photos Bill
>knows good places to eat. Fort Wayne IN has to have better
>places then that old ratty truck stop on I 69.

Hope I am doing this right, haven't posted in awhile.

Lamberts is also in Ozark MO just south of Springfield.
Some of our favorites are: Lakeview Rest. Fancy Gap VA just a mile off I77 no lake view but good food and reasonable prices. Also Mayflower seafood rest. in North Carolina. Burlington is the one we use. Also the web site citysearch (checkspelling) has patrons rating local rest.

Lostmarbles

Expert Expediter
Off I-10 in Toltec Arizona there is a little Mexican resturant behind the Waffel House. I don't recall the exit number at this moment but it's the same one that the TA is at. Just go north instead of south there. In Tucson try the Silver Saddel Stake house at I-10 & S. 6th ST.
I eat HOT food every day so I have to take time to take a good.......well you should know what I ment !!! I ment to say GOOD DRINK of WATER! Also Zantac 75 is my friend when I don't......lol

Life is what happens to you while your busy makeing other plans.

tughillrunner

Expert Expediter
dinner across from the truck stop in ft wayne is real great
also have good price on meals

also how about world famous detrioter truck stop on sat/sun buffet
alway great place to eat

JJ

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Ray's Family Restruant, Elgin, IL
take I-20 to 25 south exit, turn right onto 25 south just under the over pass on your left is Ray's. Ample parking for vans, but tight during lunch and dinner rush hours. For Straight trucks you may find somewhere on the street to park.

Last week I had one of the daily specials Chicken Kiev, honest it was one of the most enjoyable meals I have had in a long time.The special included a salad or soup, the Chicken Kiev on rice, with a bread basket with 3 different breads and crackers, and desert. My drink was extra. The place is absolutey spotless.

When I entered there was one booth open,I hit there at 2:30 PM and it was the tail end of their lunch trade. The waitress was very polite and attentive with a big smile.

They serve breakfast lunch and dinner, but close at 9PM CST.

;)