food article

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I posted this article elsewhere, but I'll post it here too. Very interesting, up to date studies. The area of interest to me is how the artificial sweeteners confuse the digestive track, and the part about the vegetable oils that trigger unintended consequences. After reading the article, try to picture all the "food" drivers are loading in their vehicles to "improve" their diet.

Tricks Foods Play | Science News

eb

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
There are several interesting books on this subject and the fact that when we say we cannot eat just one chip is true... One of the chemicals in those chips is telling our brains we NEED MORE.

The more I read about the twisted science behind some of the food we eat the more I am turning to eating fresh food or food that is made by scratch by me.

gunnerwife

Rookie Expediter
Sine I had a heart attack four years ago I have tried to be good about my diet. I never did go for the low fat/no fat versions of things because the sodium and sugar contents seemed to double. I will admit I live french fries, but have learned to limit them to a once in awhile treat. I did switch to olive oil instead of corn or other oils. There were other factors that played a major part in my heart attack, but diet is always important.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Vandweller

Active Expediter
I recently started reading the book Wheat Belly after my brother gave it to me. Even though I have about 40 pounds to lose the reason I decided to try it was my brother said he just feels so much better after going on the diet.

I haven't even finished the book but I stopped eating wheat, potatoes, corn and rice about 10 days ago. That is all I have done but it really works. My knees hurt when I get up in the morning and they get worse as the day goes on. The pain has not totally gone away but it is so much better now. If this keeps up I will be able to start walking and get some exercise.

I have never been one for candy and always drink diet pop but my weight has been slowly increasing for the last 10 years. Pizza and chips are my weakness. However, I just cruse right by the chip rack now and don't really have any desire to buy them. Without the wheat you don't get big sugar swings where you feel like you have to eat something right away or you will pass out.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I did much the same, going the caveman route. I still grab a handful of peanut M&Ms here and there, and still drink Coke Zero, but ftmp, I've cleaned up my diet and lost about 20lbs over the last month or two and had to tighten my belt twice, all without increasing my activity level at all. And ftmp, I don't miss grains.
I eat a big-*** salad every night, making sure there is meat in it, and fat sources like olives and guacamole. Fat promotes satiety, so I'm not hungry, don't feel deprived at all, and like you said, I can pass the old foods by in the grocery store without much temptation. McDonalds doesn't even look good to me now.
The loaded baked potato I saw my sister eat a few days ago still looked pretty good, but those cravings are rare now.