Flying j or rv park??

TSHEP

Seasoned Expediter
Hello folks, I drove a truck years ago and now back out here again. Boy have things changed such as the truck stops. I drive a cargo van and enjoy it so far, but I notoced the Flying j has turned into almost an RV park. I am sitting in Latta Flying J I 95 SC. I was just asked to move my van buy a guy pulling a small travel trailer so he could spend the night. He said he talked to the manager and said that the RV parking was arround back and the manager said he could park where I am. So to avoid any confrontation good old me moved over about 4 spots so he could take up eight. I than told the guy that someone may pull in a van like mine in the middle of the night and need a place to park and block him in. His reply was then I would get his A... up and by god they will move.

Could not help myself on this oine had to email flying j with the story... I thought when you purchased a RV you wanted to go across country from Rv park to Rv park.not to tour the truckstops.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
I agee with your decision to be nice and move; however, after that last comment from our happy camper I would duct tape his camper door shut. :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I were in charge I'd charge an overnight fee for RV's to park....they don't contribute that much more then they take....and it would be an income stream....And IF I were a state trooper I'd ticket them for parking where the trucks park in rest areas as well...there are a lot of RV parks that need the business and employ people....

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
Most flying Js have marked RV parking spots. I always figured that they were first come first served but they do tend to spill over into general parking. I own a travel trailer myself but I have never parked it in any truck stop. It just doesn't seem like much of a getaway spot to me. If I were delivering RVs it would make sense but on vacation, no way.

Still, they are often fun to watch. I once observed a very small mini motor home make 3 or 4 or more passes at a parking spot. He might have made it in 2 or 3 passes but his wife was helping him. It was like watching a keystone cops flick or a chinese fire drill. This was at the J on I65 in Kentucky at mm2 south of Franklin. You just had to be there. It was great. ...... Soooo I say keep em coming just for the entertainment value alone. Life's just too short, you have to find your grins everywhere you can.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most flying Js have marked RV parking spots. I always figured that they were first come first served but they do tend to spill over into general parking. I own a travel trailer myself but I have never parked it in any truck stop. It just doesn't seem like much of a getaway spot to me. If I were delivering RVs it would make sense but on vacation, no way.

Still, they are often fun to watch. I once observed a very small mini motor home make 3 or 4 or more passes at a parking spot. He might have made it in 2 or 3 passes but his wife was helping him. It was like watching a keystone cops flick or a chinese fire drill. This was at the J on I65 in Kentucky at mm2 south of Franklin. You just had to be there. It was great. ...... Soooo I say keep em coming just for the entertainment value alone. Life's just too short, you have to find your grins everywhere you can.

They are entertaining....

So hows retirement TJ??

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I'm assuming that the owner of this van parked in an RV parking spot? I always parked my van in a regular parking spot where no trailer could get into. If someone said the manager siad to park here, I would tell him to tell the manager to come out and tell me that.

The RV crowd thinks it is their world, I have had run ins with some RV'ers who told me they wanted my parking spot in the truck parking area and I told them no. If I know their situation first hand, well I will try to help but demanding, telling me that there are no other spots when there are and telling me that they don't want to deal with the smells or noise because they have to park between two trucks just doesn't cut it.

The same goes for Stright trucks parking in RV spots, get them back to the truck parking so these people who can't drive don't do damage to my truck because they can't back in.

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
I also used to park @ the J. but in the last few years they have taken a stand against us in vans. Even though they have smaller lots and more traffic, I'll use the Pilots to park at.

No duct tape or shrink wrap, I'd use super glue in his door locks. He'd take forever to get his RV moving the next day.:rolleyes: or just let the air out of 1 tire.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
Actually, retirement is sorta boring and I never worked so hard in my entire life. Catching up on all the honeydo jobs and stuff like that. Thanks for asking OVM.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Actually, retirement is sorta boring and I never worked so hard in my entire life. Catching up on all the honeydo jobs and stuff like that. Thanks for asking OVM.

You'd think that being away ,on the road...

"Have sex with wife"

would be at the top of that honeydo list...*LOL*

Never seems to make the list.....:D

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
I agee with your decision to be nice and move; however, after that last comment from our happy camper I would duct tape his camper door shut. :D

LOL, oh, that is too good! Wouldn't that be a funny! Try to open his door in the morning and it be duct taped! ROFL I love it! :D

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
I also used to park @ the J. but in the last few years they have taken a stand against us in vans. Even though they have smaller lots and more traffic, I'll use the Pilots to park at.

No duct tape or shrink wrap, I'd use super glue in his door locks. He'd take forever to get his RV moving the next day.:rolleyes: or just let the air out of 1 tire.

ROFL OMG You guys are too much! I bet you three are the life of the party! mean mean mean lol :D

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
What's all this talk about truck stops ? Don't you all know Flying J , Pilot , T/A , and Petro are Travel Centers ?

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have managed a time or Two to park close enough that they couldn't open the door enough to get out. Then went in and ate and showered.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Well at least all of you drivers of vans/sprinters can always find a place to park in a rest area in the middle of the night when you really have to "go". ;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well at least all of you drivers of vans/sprinters can always find a place to park in a rest area in the middle of the night when you really have to "go". ;)

Rest area the other night in KY on 65....was hard to find a spot...the TT's even park on the car side....pretty much was only disabled parking left.....so I parking as it is marked and blocked 2 of them in....:rolleyes:

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Watching the RV crowd try and park is the most entertaining thing about staying at a J. My parents are full time RV'ers and Dad makes quite a bit of extra cash parking units when they get to the campground or even at a truckstop. There is one couple that camps where they do in the summer and he has the entire trip to Florida (fuel stops and all) planned out at places he doesn't have to back up. Dad parks his rig for him in Ontario and the owner of the campground in Florida parks it for him when they get there.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Rest area the other night in KY on 65....was hard to find a spot...the TT's even park on the car side....pretty much was only disabled parking left.....so I parking as it is marked and blocked 2 of them in....:rolleyes:

I have also parked on the car side now and then.. though only temporarily because when you gotta "go".. you gotta "go"! :D