Flying J internet

vipra

Expert Expediter
I use Flying J's internet service with my laptop's built-in 802.11 antenna, and about half the time I try using it in my Sprinter the signal strength is so weak that I can't connect. I then take my laptop into the building and it connects fine. I sent FJ an email asking them to increase the signal strength in their parking lots, but I doubt that'll do much good. Is there anything I can do to increase my laptop's reception? An external antenna, maybe?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I went to CompUSA a while back looking for an antenna. I was told they didn't have one and they sold me a card that was supposed to improve reception. It didn't and I returned it. Some Js are worse than others out in the lot, but most seem to be fine inside.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In my Sprinter (and the E-350 before) I can usually get at least a weak signal, but usable. But as soon as I put up the silver reflective thermal sunscreen thingies, the signal goes poof. Sometimes I can leave one of the windows uncovered (use a curtain instead of the reflector) and can still get a usable, weak one-bar signal. If the signal is a very strong one to begin with, the reflective thingies (it's an industry term) doesn't prevent me from getting a signal.

Most laptops don't have a connection for an external antenna, and most laptop WiFi's are inherently weak, which is why you can get a signal inside the J but not outside. A PCMCIA cardbus WiFi adapter, or a USB WiFI adapter, will have many times the power of the built-in adapter on the laptop, which will result in getting a much stronger signal, especially if the adapter has a movable antenna that you can raise and lower (and break off easily).

Many cardbus adapters also have a connection for an external antenna, like a magnet mount for outside the vehicle. An external antenna like that is about $20 or $30, and a PCMCIA cardbus adapter will range from
$40 to $120, depending.

The truckstops have the card adapters, many have the external antennas, as well. Couple of other options are:
Buffalo Technology Airstation
http://about.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=10011833"
which is what I have, and works great, or the:

Hawking Tech. Hi-Gain Wireless-G Laptop Card
http://about.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=6974762&search=hwc54d
which I know also works well. My problem with the Hawking card is that I'd break the flip-up antenna within a week. But that's just me.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Most of the Flying J's have their wi-fi antenna on the roof of the J with most of them being toward the truck parking area. Mainly with the Flying J it's a line of sight thing. some J's have their antenna mounted higher where it can be accessed from just about anywhere in the lot. The best way to get a stronger signal there is to see if you can see their antenna from where you are parked without obstructions.
Trees, canopy over pumps and motor homes. If you can do that you should get a good signal. Don't confuse the wi-fi antenna with their cb antenna which is used for the scales. Also pick up a Flying J wi-fi hot spot pamplet The flying J also has Hot spots at other truck stops. Also sometimes their antenna isn't even on their bldg. or on their property. ie: Fort Wayne truck stop is a Flying J hot spot and their antenna is on Rays truck wash. You can also call Flying J's # in the wi-fi pamplet and ask where their antenna is located. I also sent Flying J an e-mail complaining about their signal and suggested they put their antenna on the highest point of their bldg. I suggest everyone do that. As it so happens I haven't heard back from them yet.
Go Figure. But maybe if more people send an e-mail they might do something about it.

Fr8 Shaker