Flying J Handed Guilty Verdict

flattop40

Expert Expediter
I spent Fri-Fri at the J just East of Lancaster on I-20, about 3 weeks ago. They were aggressively towing trucks. They made me move out of the front lot in a staight truck even though I fit into a spot (RV's only). They wern't bothering the vans and sprinters in the front lot anyways.

The J's seem to be running straights out of the front lots where we used to be allowed. Laredo for 1, you used to be able to park out front. I try and park out front to free up a spot for a TT, or I find a Bobtail spot.

Ban the Straights................ Oh wait........ That just doesn't sound right :eek:

atxniceguy

Seasoned Expediter
Well, the reason these incidents are not in the news media is because, I am assisting investigators with regulatory agencies that deal with these issues, after being contacted by the driver's of the trucks. The investigations have not been completed, as I only write about what I am allowed to comment about.

The towing company and vehicle storage facility involved in these incident face huge fines and sanctions, once the investigation is completed and forwarded to Austin.

A lot of drivers haven't a clue if the towing of their trucks were legal in the first place, and that is when I intervene to forward my completed investigation to the state regulatory agency, once a complaint is filed by the owner or operator of the vehicle.

You may not like what I am doing, but a lot of people appreciate my efforts to education the motoring public about criminal illegal towing in Texas, at no cost.:cool:

Detmike208

Seasoned Expediter
Maybe Flying J took a lesson from Panther....my personal vehicle got towed from behind the Panther Corporate building in Seville despite my having permission to park it there, being parked in a valid spot AND having been instructed to park it there ! Not fun.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ban the Straights................ Oh wait........ That just doesn't sound right :eek:

No thats ..Hate the Straight!

and we seem to be tangled in two separate issues somewhat

1. Illegal parking
2. towing scams

IF the offending truck WAS parked illegally and a tow truck called...then where's the scam?

I can see a scam IF there was a truck parked illegally and the tow truck WAS NOT called to the scene or invited but was trolling for victims...that would be a scam....

Why can't you straights just park in the back like all the rests of the heavy trucks? You all know that most TS's won't let you park out front anyway but you always try to pull a fast one...
1. Its closer to the door.
2. it is better lighted for security.
3. less likelyhood of getting backed into.
4. not so muddy to walk across.

You break the rules for your own convenience

I don't want a reefer WG or Elite straight beside me or even close to me....your too loud! especially with your APU running as well...

Don't give me that bull line about trying to be considerate to the TT's...that don't wash.

Last edited:

DougTravels

Not a Member
It is not a bull line, in fact alot of us str8 drivers get crap for taking up a spot that a "big truck" can use. I drive a Chevy 6500 the exact frame alot of RV's have. Some truck stops let us park in front, some don't. Some J's it is ok, some not. So for me I park in front if I fit in a spot, If I am asked to move I will. I do not have an apu, and I rarely idle only if it is really hot or really cold. I can stay warm enough if it is above 25 (even cooler after I turn in, coffin sleeper well insulated and 4 quilts)and cool enough if it is under 90-95.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is not a bull line, in fact alot of us str8 drivers get crap for taking up a spot that a "big truck" can use. I drive a Chevy 6500 the exact frame alot of RV's have. Some truck stops let us park in front, some don't. Some J's it is ok, some not. So for me I park in front if I fit in a spot, If I am asked to move I will. I do not have an apu, and I rarely idle only if it is really hot or really cold. I can stay warm enough if it is above 25 (even cooler after I turn in, coffin sleeper well insulated and 4 quilts)and cool enough if it is under 90-95.

I can live with that..;)

Some of them apu's are about ear level in a van....when trying to sleep...

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
No thats ..Hate the Straight!

Don't give me that bull line about trying to be considerate to the TT's...that don't wash.

Why does being considerate to TTs Not wash in your mind?????

I drove TT for several years and was very appreciative when those Roberts Express trucks would park in the Bobtail lot or in the front. Finding a place to stop and rest can be an extreme challenge for a TT at night when all large spaces are full and there are no other truck stops or rest areas nearby.

I will continue to do what I can to help them out. If my APU bothers you because you are parking your van at a truckstop then take your little van and park in any of the 1 million parking spaces available to you elsewhere.

I have a strange feeling that you have no idea what it feels like to be exhausted, out of hours, hungry and in need of a shower then unable to find a parking space for your rig.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why does being considerate to TTs Not wash in your mind?????

I drove TT for several years and was very appreciative when those Roberts Express trucks would park in the Bobtail lot or in the front. Finding a place to stop and rest can be an extreme challenge for a TT at night when all large spaces are full and there are no other truck stops or rest areas nearby.

I will continue to do what I can to help them out. If my APU bothers you because you are parking your van at a truckstop then take your little van and park in any of the 1 million parking spaces available to you elsewhere.

I have a strange feeling that you have no idea what it feels like to be exhausted, out of hours, hungry and in need of a shower then unable to find a parking space for your rig.

And your strange feeling would be wrong sir....

And if you'd like I'll even stick one on myself....On the signs entering the J lots it say Cars and RV's with an arrow no where does it say cargo delivery van parking either....Except for Waterloo Iowa...which we are made to park in with the big guys....

DougTravels

Not a Member
The way freights been lately, We could all probably make a good argument that we all are driving RV's for the most part.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I can't imagine a tractor trailer being towed from a parking spot in the big truck parking lot out in back of a truck stop. I can, however, imagine trucks being towed from parking spaces where there are signs that say "No Truck Parking" or something to that effect. Doesn't matter if the sign is a hand written sign scribbled on a piece of cardboard, no parking means no parking to anyone with any sense, common or otherwise. On the Blog, the difference between a "legal" and an "illegal" towing sign are ludicrous semantics since they all convey the same exact message, which is, "If You Park Here Without Expressed Permission, You'll Be Towed." What's the scam?

The problem I have with the blog is the that there is too much hearsay and anecdotal evidence being passed off as stone cold fact. Things appear to be blown out of proportion and overstated much of the time. Even this thread here, where it states the Flying J was found guilty for towing 23 tractor trailers (Blog says 22, tho), and lists the case number and we have an attached (presumably real) fax of the judges decision, a decision that shows a generic decision that could be about a Jeep, with no case number, no court of record, nothing other than a date. On the Blog, where is the link to the PDF file of the entire judge's decision? Links to the County Clerk's office of the case file?

By and large, people don't get towed if they're not parked where they shouldn't be parked. Sure, some people park illegally, knowingly and unknowingly, and there are some organized ripoffs going on. I've seen some truck drivers make some extraordinarily stupid parking spot decisions, so they shouldn't be shocked if they get towed. But as for the towing scams, Blog away. Clearly there's a problem in Texas. The only question is, is it really as widespread and pervasive as it appears from reading the Blog? Because from reading the Blog, it certainly appears that you can park precisely where you are supposed to park, and you'll still get towed more often than not. The towing storage facilities in Texas must be immense, really big, Texas big, 'cause, well, you know, everything's bigger in Texas.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was thinking..maybe when one is showing consideration and parking in front and go for a shower and come back and the trucks been towed, them same TT's will show consideration and take up a collection to pay the towing bill...I think not....
The J is not asking for any ones moral thinking they just ask to follow the rules and they'll deal with the flack.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
:D Was watching Judge Judy (just love Judge Judy) the other day, it was about a delivery driver that drove a straight truck, he parked it in front of a building while he went in to make a delivery. A tow truck come along while he was inside and hooked his truck up to be towed so the driver couldn't get away with the truck when he came back out. Then the tow truck driver called in a bigger truck to come and tow it away. The truckdriver argued he serviced the building for years and always parked there when making his deliveries to the building and should not have been towed. Tow truck driver argued that he had a contract with the building (the truck was parked up by the building on private property) to tow any vehicle that was illegally parked. The truck driver said "no, didn't include delivery trucks". Tow driver said "yea, it did since the truck wasn't parked legal. The judge determined the tow truck driver had every right to tow the vehicle since he did have a contract with the building to tow illegally parked vehicles and the delivery truck was parked illegally. :eek:
Me personally, I probably would have beat the tow truck driver over the head and about the body with my shower shoe and retreived my truck anyways! :p

Last edited:

noother

Seasoned Expediter
Hello i,m a new member here and i,m the actual owner operator whose truck was towed twice from flying j truck stop in houston.I,ve read some of these replies and it seems to me that some people here are not famaliar with the tx towing statues better known as the occupation code 2308 chapter.If you would read these LAWS you would understand that flying j was not in compliance and was towing vehicles out of a legal parking spots.ILLEGALLY.It seems that most people dont know there rights and i didnt either until i called tx towing compliance and found out what my rights were so if any of you nay sayers have 3000 dollars to give to towing companies at the end of the year during slow season just because towing companies and tow truck drivers want their chirstmas money then come to houston tx they can accomadate you.

moose

Veteran Expediter
thanks Noother for shearing your experience ,
let me get it straight ,
they towed you out of a legal parking spot ?
twice ?

Moose.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Hello i,m a new member here and i,m the actual owner operator whose truck was towed twice from flying j truck stop in houston.I,ve read some of these replies and it seems to me that some people here are not famaliar with the tx towing statues better known as the occupation code 2308 chapter.If you would read these LAWS you would understand that flying j was not in compliance and was towing vehicles out of a legal parking spots.ILLEGALLY.It seems that most people dont know there rights and i didnt either until i called tx towing compliance and found out what my rights were so if any of you nay sayers have 3000 dollars to give to towing companies at the end of the year during slow season just because towing companies and tow truck drivers want their chirstmas money then come to houston tx they can accomadate you.

I have an idea.
Why don't you actually tell us the circumstances of your illegal towing fiasco?
Where were you parked?
Where were you when it was towed?
How long had it been there?
Why was the towing illegal?
Why twice??

This would help others to understand just what you are talking about and we could all avoid the same situation. I am sitting here right now and there are signs in every non-parking area warning drivers not to park there.