Flying J Handed Guilty Verdict

atxniceguy

Seasoned Expediter
The Flying J Management located on the north freeway in Houston, Texas was found guilty by a Montgomery County Judge for wrongfully towing 23 towing tractor trailers.

The cause number for this trial is 3608A in Precinct Three Justice Court.

Owner operator John Eakins was pleased with the guilty verdict, but not pleased because the Judge repeatedly told him to shut up and sit down, when attempting to introduce the storage receipts showing he paid $1403.46.

Another Flying J and towing company located in Dallas is also being targeted by the Dallas County Grand Jury, after an Enforcement Investigator with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation ordered the towing company to release three tractor trailers at no charge. :eek:

This no charge demand was only after the investigator reviewed the Qualcomm data that showed the trucks being driven away from the Flying J in violation of Texas State Law, instead of being towed, as indicated on the paperwork. :D

It is very important, if your tractor trailers are towed without your consent anywhere in Texas from private property, that you file a complaint with TDLR, the state agency that regulates the towing and vehicle storage industry in Texas.

Attachments

• milstead verdict 3.jpg
    milstead verdict 3.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 16

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
i read that blog and a few things hit me besides the obvious thing you can post anything g on a blog and most times it's not even close to what happened

the one article said several times that the plaintiff should seek criminal charges if thats the case that was a civil court and really has nothing to do with what is or is not law or illegal.

the writer sound,to my reading anyways ,like somebody who wan to be rude and an ******* and use the courts to do it.

no actual news paper reference or doc-et numbers where posted if those had been the real outcomes and that was a real news blog both would have been giving i would think

if this has actually happened it sounds very much like a small group of poopyheads parking where they should not and then trying to use the states laws that are to protect innocent people to enforce there bad behavior

and to extrapolate the title of the blog"It's Your Vehicle and Money " yes it is and so don't be an dink and park where you should not .blocking the way in or out, for other drivers.

guido4475

Not a Member
yea. i see what you guys are saying, but remember the old pilot in lancaster, tx? that is now a truckstop owned by foreigners before it closed up? the chicken place somehow is still open, even though the truckstop itself is closed and for sale.doesnt make much sense. but anyways, i have witnessed drivers parking there to run in and get some chicken, and as soon as they came back out, their truck had been towed.thats not right..it is against the law for a towing company to tow away youre vehicle with you in the vehicle.i know that firsthand. but there are just too many scumbag towing companies out there looking for a quick buck.if they drove the truck instead of towing it, wouldnt that be considered theft? if it isnt,what if i parked next to a truck, and didnt like the fact that he was idling on a cool day, and decided to get in it and move it! same thing, right? and the flying j is getting pretty ------ anyways.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
A parked truck is one with no one in it....well in the case of semis...no one behind the wheel

stopped or standing is with a driver in it maybe doing paperwork..it is NOT parked

I used this way around city bylaws when doing local work...if I had to go downtown during rush hour I'd take my wife..and STOP in front...hence no parking ticket..she'd drive around the block if necessary..

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Take example...I am at the front of Walmart store sign says No Parking in Fire lane....4 ways on wife at the wheel, I run in...am I parked? No...i am either standing or stopped....definition by law..

you'll notice more places getting more specific in the signage....

No Parking, No Stopping, no Standing....

DougTravels

Not a Member
I spent Fri-Fri at the J just East of Lancaster on I-20, about 3 weeks ago. They were aggressively towing trucks. They made me move out of the front lot in a staight truck even though I fit into a spot (RV's only). They wern't bothering the vans and sprinters in the front lot anyways.

The J's seem to be running straights out of the front lots where we used to be allowed. Laredo for 1, you used to be able to park out front. I try and park out front to free up a spot for a TT, or I find a Bobtail spot.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rules are rules....and when parked overnight we are the guests..asphalt in Laredo gets quite hot and heavy trucks just mess up the front lots...and before someone says anything...how is the J supposed to know when you are loaded or not?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Right now there is a Fedex WG D and a Panther D and 2 bob tails in the front lot here in Whiteland....

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
Flying J is has the worst pumps in the country. Half of them you can't even get a receipt after you fuel up. I would be suprized at anything these cheap crooks do. I try to avoid flying J

atxniceguy

Seasoned Expediter
For starters, I have helped many people recover damages in Texas from parking facilities that were not in compliance with State Law, that otherwise never knew they were victimized.

The comment regarding criminal, in Texas, there is a civil and criminal penalty for violating the Texas Towing Law.

There is big difference from being parked in fire lane, if the fire lane is marked in accordance to State Law, than towing trucks from parking lots without the required red and white towing signs.

The articles in the blog are based on evidence received from victims, that allow me to make the determination rather the towing of their vehicle was legal or not.

But, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but, of the thousands of vehicle owner or operators, that visited my site ,
very few leave disappointed or lose in Court, in Texas.

I would think the trucking industry would appreciate someone looking out for them, when it comes to towing scams.:cool:

Last edited:

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
no i think most business owners detest ambulance chasers irregardless if they are "trying to allegedly help"

and most here probably are real short on compassion for any advocate defending the little boy truckers who knowing parked in other peoples way.

i just get this gut feeling that the whole mess is going to backfire and that those that do get towed illegal are going to get burnt

DougTravels

Not a Member
mjolnir131 Re: Flying J Handed Guilty Verdict

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
no i think most business owners detest ambulance chasers irregardless if they are "trying to allegedly help"

and most here probably are real short on compassion for any advocate defending the little boy truckers who knowing parked in other peoples way.

i just get this gut feeling that the whole mess is going to backfire and that those that do get towed illegal are going to get burnt

Why do you jump all over this guy and call him names? You assume all tows are from "little boy truckers who are in someones way".

Maybe this guy is legit and there are towing scams, When I was young my dad fell the victim to a towing scam. Our Pick up fuel pump went out and my dad got the truck off the road, walked to a phone, got help to go to the parts store. He was back in an hour with the fuel pump to find his truck illegally towed. A little research found that the towing company owner was related to the Ypsi cop that called him. The judge dismissed the ticket, and my dad had to go through small claims to get a refund of the towing charges.

You may hate lawyers but they are needed when people are victimized.

atxniceguy

Seasoned Expediter
I seriously doubt that Walmart is a little boy trucker as you posted.

Furthermore, I am not an attorney, rather a former cross country driver, who incidentally created this website to alert others to towing scams in Texas.

I hear from drivers from all over the country who were burnt by towing their trucks when broken down and being hit with huge towing bills.

So, please don't pass judgment on me, as I am helping people who become victims at the hand of criminal enterprises, learn how they can address their issue, if in Texas.

Last edited:

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
well because after reading the very few news article that i have found on this that is what was happening as to the Huston flying j's original reason to tow the trucks in question,they had been parked in the Drive and fire lanes. the manger stood by her decision under the commitment of keeping those driving lanes clear.now 3 of the trucks have been driven and not tow is a separate incident,(one i can't find in the news)

and there are legit cases thats why i said what i said

to quote self
*** i just get this gut feeling that the whole mess is going to backfire and that those that do get towed illegal are going to get burnt ***

what i meant there was incident like this where drivers are pushing the common sense envelope making a fuss are going to impact those who do get illegally towed

DougTravels

Not a Member
I understand, I see people that deserve a tow almost daily. I just didn't think your response "ambulance chaser" was warranted. Seemed a little like you were jumping on the guy for no good reason. Anyway if he's a Lawyer he should have a thick skin.

Makes me think of a really good lawyer joke too dam n. Not the time or place.