Seasoned Expediter
How soon are you looking to get on?
My hubby and I live up in Lady Lake.
Interested in hearing responses.
Good luck.
Kathy

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
My experience is that you'll have more opportunies coming in than going out. Getting home won't be any more of a problem than getting home to ANY state tucked in a corner, ie. Maine or Oregon. You may need to plan on staying out a little longer than many at a jaunt in order to be profitable. Even a smaller carrier can get you out though. Small or large, you may just need to be patient for a couple of days to get out.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Don't know what size unit you are looking to drive.

In the five years that we were leased onto FECC we were in our DR-unit four years and our T/T unit one year. At no time while we were leased to them was it easy to get home! Most trips home were spent deadheading a considerable number of miles at our own expense. If we got a load to Atlanta or Miami when we needed to get home we considered ourselves extremely lucky. They do not have directional freight.

just our experiance with this carrier!

bgoveia

Seasoned Expediter
Hello Streaken1, just read your post about Florida and had to respond to ask what part of Florida your from. Fairly certain that I have saw you folks a number of times in your tractor driving in the St. Marks area. You may have saw me sitting on a picnic table below the bridge over the Wakula river at the TNT Hideaway canoe rental. I have been spending the winters with the family there that runs the business. I have noticed a number of expeditors come over the bridge that look like they're sightseeing the area. There is a ammo plant down the road and possibly pu or del there and waiting on dispatch. Mostly Landstar and Panther. I drove for Panther with my van and the first winter I would deadhead to Atlanta to get in the system. Don't remember ever getting a load back down to my camper in Florida but after awhile Panther was getting me loaded from Florida on a regular basis, to the point I would have to take myself out of service to get some fishin in. Loads out of Cairo,Ga, Thomasville, Ga(Catipillar) Tallahssee airport, and deadhead to Jacksonville and Tampa. Seems like I would end up in the cold gray north and have to deadhead back to paradise. Getting ready to head out of Illinois here pretty quick before it gets cold and be down on the picnic table. If you or anyone in the area wants to try out some river runnin and your in your truck, call TNT and we'll come pick you up and shuttle you, the area is great and very different than a lot of Florida.

rickmgtp

Seasoned Expediter
Jefferson 3000 I want to ask you a question about staying loacal doing expeditor runs I hear its very dificult but possible.

twinpopusa

Seasoned Expediter
I live in Palm City Fl, and have noticed Panther getting more and more loads out of South Fl lately. I got a nice one to Houston, Tx, 2 months ago. Guess I was just lucky. Now, getting back home? Thats another story...

Last edited:

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Jefferson 3000 I want to ask you a question about staying loacal doing expeditor runs I hear its very dificult but possible.

Anything is possible. I expanded my operation to go out of state, because in the current economic situation, it's good to have as many tools in your belt as possible.

Right now I'm sittin' in Clinton, NJ. Anyone out there?

rickmgtp

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the reply Jefferson 3000. Im looking to sign on with Great wide Logistics out of Winter Haven Florida but with a tractor. Anybody knows anything about this outfit?

broker

Seasoned Expediter
Now it's been awhile since I did grocery but a couple years ago they were hauling for Publix and a few other food chains, to their main distributing centers.
"BIG" John

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
A good friend of mine is driving for Davis out of Florida and seems to be quite happy and is home weekly. If you like doing Publix DCs you might check them out.