Fleet Owners and Owner Operators: When Do You Replace Your Truck?

Jedidad

Active Expediter
Researching
I'm not a truck owner, just curious as to what goes into the decision to replace a truck. Is that decision based on mileage, repairs starting to add up, carrier requirements, tax reasons, all of the above, etc?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When they start to get uncomfortable and newer modern trucks arrive that are more comfortable and prevent driver fatigue. Oh wait that's when owner operators replace them... fleet owners? :p:D

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not a truck owner, just curious as to what goes into the decision to replace a truck. Is that decision based on mileage, repairs starting to add up, carrier requirements, tax reasons, all of the above, etc?
Usually when the repairs add up and you can't tighten the tornaquet down anymore.

Joe Mavrik

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
My decision was combination of money and wear and tear. My truck was about half way through the common service life of the engine, but I was pushing the load limits almost every job. I had replaced the clutch, brakes, tires, and rear springs and was worried about over doing the truck with a load.

So I decided to take the financial plunge and start building a bigger truck. I imagine that if I had had such a demand for larger loads, I would still continue to own/drive my old truck.

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
For me, it's when keeping up with repairs becomes too expensive, or more than a payment on a new one would be.
Time is money and if you are spending time dealing with repair issues you are also spending money that could have been made on the road working.

Somtimes, as in my case, I need a new truck but am unable to afford one or get a loan right now, so no choice but to keep pouring money into my current truck.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when I traded unit in when cost started adding up to much, sometimes it was something telling me trade now. one time I did that , took it in to replace a starter, and thinking what else could go wrong, and it was out of warranty to. so talked to sale person, said I want to trade right now, he said ok, than called over to shop and said stop repair's as he is going to trade. so they push van out of shop and bought a new van. next day they push van back in to continue, repairs, dash goes up in smoke, and they have to replace dash, and they aren't cheap. best van was no longer my problem. on most van's I had I ran warranty out in 18 month's