fleet owner who owns half of vans in service

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There are certainly times when you are quite certain that every dispatcher has a Post It Note stuck to their computer screen that says "Let this guy sit and rot," and it's got your name on it. But that's just not how it works. Even at a small carrier and you tick off the wrong person in dispatch, and they punish you for what you've done by letting you sit and rot, it's not a surprise. You know. You know.

Reactions: Windsor

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
"Smart Carriers" would utilize thier often bragged about partnerships and use the over capacity there is now, instead of putting on more....and we'd keep everyone a bit more busy...especially slower times....

mikedrives191

Rookie Expediter
I had a driver tick me off and I got him a load 15 minutes later. I don't have time for petty games when I'm trying to make money. I get paid on commissions - so if the trucks do not roll, I don't make any money! I book anyone as long as they get their loads delivered on time!

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Much of expedited work is automotive-related. Right now, the auto industry is in their annual plant-shutdown/vacation/retooling for the next model year phase, so not much is being shipped at the moment. Wait until late August/early September, and things should pick up noticeably.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
For what its worth, we have been slow the last two weeks. On the other hand, I believe in capitalism. If someone has the guts to add a bunch of vans, and expend that much $$$ for them or go that far in debt. More power to them. I hope they get rich. Does it suck when you know they have an advantage over you, yes. Just like Expediter Services at FDCC where they have their own dispatcher and are guaranteed a certain number of loads at a fixed price. But this is just part of being self employed. At the end of the day, Life is Not Fair. But it beats the alternative. I hope business picks up soon and we all are running more than we want.