FLD

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Anybody have any info on the Freightliner FLD? I may end up driving one in the near future.

Thanks.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey Jayman:

This sounds serious. Do you have something lined up? I have driven early 1990's model FLD's as a tractor. I remember one thing I didn't like was that the switches for the lights were located at the bottom of the dash on a 90 degree plane. They were hard to see. Other than that the FLD is a basic class 8 truck with a setback front axle.

Good luck with your new venture into expediting. Keep us posted.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Yeah, I got pretty lucky an ran into a great opportunity. I have made an informal agreement to drive for a friend of mine. It wont be expedite though. But, there are some real advantages to the arrangement.

1. I wont have to team drive in the beggining to get experience.
2. The trips I make will be to common locations so I will know where I am going and how long it takes to get there.
3. The money is good. I get 30% of what the truck makes and I will not have to pay for anything. I just drive.
4. The work is pretty consistant all year.
5. I will typically only be away from home 2 nights per week.

Logging is the industry. I would typically make a run from Terre Haute IN to Marion WI and then back to Terre Haute hauling something else. Do that 2 times a week which = 4 days of work. Seems to be a good balance between income and free time as far as my needs go anyway.

His FLD is a 95. Said he would wait to see if this is what I really want to do. Then, he will commit to buying something newer and nicer. Im pretty excited. But, I wont start until the first of September. I got somethings to do before I drive and he wont be ready to buy a second truck until then.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jayman, sounds like a good deal. Especially if the return load is there. I used to haul pulp logs from northern Minnesota to a paper mill in Sartell, Minnesota. We had three places we loaded at. The furthest being a 550 mile round trip. We always ran empty to get loaded.

Terre Haute, must be hardwood? What's in Marion a furniture or veneer factory?

Good luck! Will you be able to wait until September!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jayman,if that truck is making that run now, maybe you could do a ride along. That would give you a feel for what it will be like.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Think Marion has a veneer/plywood joint up there. Not sure what kind of wood I will be taking up there.

The closest way to get there I think is through Chicago and Milwaukee. But, that may be more trouble than heading up to Bloomington IL and taking I-39 to Wausau WI then over to Marion. Its about 75 miles further that way though. Hope there is some good greasy spoons between here and there. :7

Jayman

Expert Expediter
True. But, he isnt doing that run at the moment. He just owns the one truck and he only does local stuff so he can be home with wife and kids. But, you make a good point. He told me I could ride with him to get a feel of what is going on before I start.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
I'd take the job... Like you said, "I just drive"

My best friend runs a '96 FLD as his wrecker. He's been pretty happy with it. Seems less plastic-like than the later Century and Columbia.