Flat rate???

zorry

Veteran Expediter
What is the average fuel milage for a straight truck?
The reasoning fedex stated for cutting the FSC on e units was increased avg mpg across the fleet. Wouldn't st8 be increasing too? So why not cut their FSC?

They like US. :)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I'd suggest everyone look at your extranet numbers for the last 12 months.
Compare what you did to what it pays under the new program. Add in a few bucks for shorties, hazmat surcharges.

Then you can see how bad this will really affect you.
I would think you'll have less mt miles as you'll be less apt to run empty in the future.

This tells you if you can afford to stay.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I'd suggest everyone look at your extranet numbers for the last 12 months.
Compare what you did to what it pays under the new program. Add in a few bucks for shorties, hazmat surcharges.

Then you can see how bad this will really affect you.

I would think you'll have less mt miles as you'll be less apt to run empty in the future.

This tells you if you can afford to stay.

Wow, with 20% deadhead I'm only going to lose $9361 for the same number of miles under the new pay plan.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Wow !

It's a number everyone needs to know.

Run more, make less doesn't work for me.
I didn't realize it was such a large cut. :(

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
8 cents a mile X 120,000 miles = $9600.
But, I am sure we will get "more miles".

Last edited:

jamom123

Expert Expediter
I figured the numbers on a load that i run pretty regular. The total miles is just over 300. I almost always have to dh back myself. Under the new plan it will be cut by $100 dollars, so now if i dh back myslef i am killing my profits.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Here's an idea. Leave the fsc alone. Collect it from the customer like always. Pay it like always. The customers are already paying it. They're used to it. If an O/O manages to get better mpg good for them.

It isn't like there's a real need to steal money from the fsc on top of the $20 per week per truck already being stolen from Qualcomms.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
In November 2011 we left FedEx and went to Landstar. Although Landstar is a very good company we came back to FedEx after 8 months. We were making more per mile at Landstar but we were making less money because we weren't getting enough runs to keep us busy. Without a DOD clearance there just weren't enough loads to keep us running the way we liked.
Changing carriers is a time consuming and costly experience. Had we stayed with FedEx we would have made 30% more during those 8 months.
Before switching carriers think it through, do your research and be prepared to lose some income.
We are planning to stay put and see how this all shakes out.

dodrh2000

Rookie Expediter
Notice no dry trucks have jumped on here to say I'm going to Carrier X because they have a better deal than the FedEx flat rate ?

I never post. But this caught my eye. My recruiter told me this week FedEx still will have the best deal. So I sent her some info on another company.

I have another year left on the percentage plan. That gives me time to look around. Whatever I do I can promise I will follow the money.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I never post. But this caught my eye. My recruiter told me this week FedEx still will have the best deal. So I sent her some info on another company.

I have another year left on the percentage plan. That gives me time to look around. Whatever I do I can promise I will follow the money.

You only have another year if you are WG. After June 1st you can stay on your percentage contract but all loads will pay the flat rate. No negotiation.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You only have another year if you are WG. After June 1st you can stay on your percentage contract but all loads will pay the flat rate. No negotiation.

What's the sense of staying on the percentage contract IF the loads pay flat rate ?
I thought they would pay as they do now through the end of your % contract.,
They just don't want any counteroffers.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
What's the sense of staying on the percentage contract IF the loads pay flat rate ?
I thought they would pay as they do now through the end of your % contract.,
They just don't want any counteroffers.

Oops, my bad. You can stay on percentage but there will be no negotiating. I guess most of the loads we are offered are paying less than flat rate without negotiating.

jamom123

Expert Expediter
Oops, my bad. You can stay on percentage but there will be no negotiating. I guess most of the loads we are offered are paying less than flat rate without negotiating.

So let me get this straight, if you stay on your percentage plan and they send you a load that's paying less than flat rate you still can't negotiate on it? Am i right?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using EO Forums mobile app

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
That's what the letter says. No more negotiation.

I received this from a FedEx employee as clarification.

No change at all for WG division trucks except that there will be no negotiation starting June 1. Surface trucks will be on flat rate effective June 1, if they sign the flat rate pay appendix. If they don't sign and return the new pay appendix they will remain on the percentage plan until their percentage lease expires on the one year anniversary of its effective date. At that time, the only plan available will be flat rate for Surface trucks.

Sounds like WG will not be able to negotiate either.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
That's what the letter says. No more negotiation.

I received this from a FedEx employee as clarification.

No change at all for WG division trucks except that there will be no negotiation starting June 1. Surface trucks will be on flat rate effective June 1, if they sign the flat rate pay appendix. If they don't sign and return the new pay appendix they will remain on the percentage plan until their percentage lease expires on the one year anniversary of its effective date. At that time, the only plan available will be flat rate for Surface trucks.

Sounds like WG will not be able to negotiate either.

Certainly that can't be so. That employee must be a little confused I hope. Who in there right mind would stay on % base with no negotiation considering the really low offers they send out all the time. The only reason to be a % based contractor is to be able to negotiate. There's hardly a load that comes over that I don't need to negotiate on, even if it's close.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
In my very short time as TVAL qualified, it seems like all of my TVAL loads are being picked up a day "late". As if there are not enough TVAL trucks to cover the loads.

We negotiate a fair and decent rate on almost every opportunity. I don't think I would stick around very long if We were flat rate, probably get a gig driving for Supply Chain, where I could be home on the weekends.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What's that British saying? Oh yeah, penny wise and pound foolish.