FL70 Clutch Prices

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have no personal experience with this, but the numbers I have heard are around a grand to 1200.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A couple of years bago I paid about $1800 for transmission work and a new clutch. The transmission was locking up in 6th gear so since they had to pull it I went ahead and had the clutch replaced. The clutch was only about $350 but it's the labor to pull the transmission out that will get you. If you have the transmission out you might as well replace the front and rear seals on the transmission.

FAST JIMMY

Expert Expediter
I just replaced a clutch on an Eaton 6 speed. The cost of the clutch kit was near $800. I would only use a new kit not remanufactured. Our labor is about $350. Also the fluid in most trans is synthetic and costs about $100 for a pail.
Fast Jimmy

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
Contact a couple of Freightliner dealers and get quotes for the job. There are flat-rate times for this type of work. Example: a 4700 series International with a DT466 and a 6 speed paid around 4.5hrs. labor to R&R the clutch.

You might want to contact a couple of indie shops for quotes as well.

When you have gotten the quotes and decided which shop is going to get the job, be sure to ask for the estimated completion time when you make the appointment to have the work done. They should have the parts in stock (or near at hand) and have it in and out the same day.

Extra work required...refacing the flywheel...replacing a u-joint or carrier bearing, etc. will add to the time required to do the job. Be sure to insist that you be notified before they do any work over and above the quote. Also, be sure that the shop has a way to contact you if additional work is needed!!!!!

Based on my experience, I disagree with RichM about the trans seals. If there are no leaks, don't mess with them!

Rex

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We have a T300 with 520,000 miles and the original clutch and tranny need service. I will post our costs when it is done. Still shifts fine but gets a occassional rattle in reverse.
Either a clutch spring or the throwout bearing is reaching its point.
Our plan is to replace the clutch ect. Transmission itself is not experiencing any issues.

Davekc

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Rex I bow to your experience. I ad the seals replaced on the advice of the mechanic who was working on the transmission.

slopoke

Expert Expediter
>Does anyone know about what a clutch cost to have replaced?
>It is a 2001 FL70 with a six speed trans.
>Thanks
>PM:(

I just priced a clutch for an FL 70 with a Spicer, and the parts are around $1300, labor probably 8 hours, so 1800 to 1900. The mechanic said a bunch of other stuff has to be replaced (usually) along with the clutch.

G

I would ask about having the flywheel sent to a machine shop to have it turned. This is not a big deal to do when everything is taken apart already, but it will probably add an extra day to the repair. When I had mine replaced the shop recommended this and it seemed like a good idea. I paid about $1200 for the clutch, throwout bearing, flywheel turning and labor.

I got a new clutch. Don't get a remanufactured one. You only save about a $100 and it was worth the extra money to me to have an assembly that had fresh parts.