FL 70 Heater control problem!

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Anyone out there who owns a FL70 that has heater control problems? When I turn to the defrost/floor setting, I still get heat from the dash area. Also have very little floor heat in any setting.
Am trying to see how many FL70 owners are having the same problem as me. Had it at the freightliner shop today and they said this is a common problem on all FL70's and that 3 new ones on there lot does the same. I basically told them I didn't pay over 60 thousand bucks on a truck and didn't work like it was supposed to. Of course I got the standard "let me check into it and I'll get back to you" speech.
I appreciate any responses.
Randy

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My FL 70 is a 1996 model and has the same problem,however I think it is a design problem.The so called floor vents are nothing more than small grille type inserts on the bottom of the dash and very little heat come out of them. One thing that I found was one of the air hoses behind the dash was too long when it was installed and became crimped so very little air came through to the drivers side.To pull the dash and front panels out you need a tool that looks like a allen wrench,I think it is called a tuc wrench and can be bought at Sears etc..Good luck in the winter I wear heavy boots.I found the best setting to be the one that has half the air coming from the vents and half to the floor..

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My FL70's vent controls work about the same way, with no heat to the floor. I have found that the defroster and defrost/floor position work better by disconnecting the A/C compressor wire for the winter, as it is set to kick on in any defrost position. This will keep the airflow a bit warmer. I don't think anything is wrong with yours, it's just one of the things on these trucks
that could have been designed much better. (kind of like the engineering award that should be given to the guy who designed the FL70's washer fluid container)
--Weave--

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
check cable it may be bent or not working right, call tsi at /1-800-388-3850, and ask for dan , he know's how to tell you to fix
problem, just talked to him aboutit

LittleBigTruck

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Ah, a common problem! FL didn't design the heat controls very well and continues to produce trucks without re-designing them. We wound up stuffing towels under the dash to prevent cold air from entering. Drive Happy (but forget about warm!)Chris

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for the replies. Now I have a little ammo when I talk with frieghtliner. This is unacceptable to me and will fight this one. There is no reason why we should have to suck it up on this. If this was an pickup truck or car, it would be fixed. Time to make frieghtliner do there job (I hope).
If no resolve, might have to look into that new kenworth (not sure on model number) I saw in a magazine not long ago. Looks like a nice expiditer truck. Anyone out there have one of these care to comment on it?
Thanks again for the responses.
Safe trucking and Happy New Year.
Randy

fdell

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My new FL 80 has the same problem. We froze our feet til an honest dealer mechanic told me to set the selector for bi-level (dash and feet). Close all the dash outlets. This forces all the airflow out the lower vents and actually keeps the tootsies warm. Another fine example of Freightliner engineering! Kinda like the marshmallow adjustment for air temp....Silver Bullet

kymoocow

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As a FORMER FL 70 owner I can tell you that there is no heat duct connected for the floor( they need to have an engineer drive his brainchild in the winter and see how warm his feet are!) The best solution we found is the new Kenworth now sitting in our drive. The heat on it works so well you have to keep it turned on a very low setting. Speaking as a truck driver with cold feet from Oct to April you couldn't run fast enough to GIVE ME ANOTHER FREIGHTLINER-especially if I was required to drive it!

krooser

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Ditto on the KW heater..I've just about worn out the window crank tryin' to keep from toastin' my a##!

James Wiseman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Randy,
Hey.Boy oh boy, I feel your pain. I'm sure you've experienced this too. Run a load up north, pull into a truck stop dead tired, shut her down, and wake up three hours later in a meat locker!!!It's one of the many things I miss about a tractor/trailer. Freightliner could come up with a much better name than "Business Class."

James Wiseman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Randy,
>Hey.Boy oh boy, I feel your
>pain. I'm sure you've experienced
>this too. Run a load
>up north, pull into a
>truck stop dead tired, shut
>her down, and wake up
>three hours later in a
>meat locker!!!It's one of the
>many things I miss about
>a tractor/trailer. Freightliner could come
>up with a much better
>name than "Business Class."
>
>

G

I'm inclined to think none of the medium duty trucks have all that good of a heater. We're the proud owners of a '01 International 4700 which for the most part has been great, but the heat, especially on the right side, is not all that great. Just a couple days ago, the wife said, "Do you suppose if we took a heater from a Freightliner and put 'em together, we'd have enough heat?". We do get plenty of heat in the bunk, though.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Can u tell me the secret as to getting plenty of heat in the bunk??Perhaps your wife can talk to my wife.LOL after 14 years of 24/7 togetherness in a D unit very little goes on any more..

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Richm,
with that comment said, I would say its time for a nice long vaction together or time to change jobs.
Good luck
Randy

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
THE OLD FL70 HEATER SYNDROM. THE PROBLEM WITH THE FL70 HEATER SYSTEM IS: IT IS A POORLY DESIGNED SYSTEM. OR PROBABLY BETTER SAID A VERY CHEAPLY ENGINEERED SYSTEM. I SPEAK WITH EXPERIENCE WHEN I TELL YOU THIS, IN THAT I WORKED AS A MECHANIC AT A FL DEALERSHIP FOR MANY YEARS PRIOR TO ENTERING THE GREAT WORLD OF EXPEDITING. THERE IS NO REAL CURE FOR THE MANY PROBLEMS THIS SYSTEM HAS. IT HAS BEEN A PROBLEM CHILD SINCE THE SYSTEM WAS FIRST PUT INTO USE. THE MOST COMMON PROBLEMS ARE: (1) THE HEATER CONTROL PANEL HAS PLASTIC GEARS ON THE BACK SIDE AND STRIP VERY EASY IF THE KNOBS ARE TURNED TO HARD. EVERY FL DEALER MUST KEEP ALL FAULTY PARTS THAT ARE REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY. I CAN GUARENTEE YOU, THEY SEND THE CONTROL PANELS BACK UNDER WARRANTY CLAIMS BY THE BOX FULL. (2)HEAT COMING OUT OF THE VENTS ALL THE TIME, EVEN WHEN THE TEMP CONTROL IS IN THE COLD POSITION IS ANOTHER BIG PROBLEM. THE SYSTEM UTILIZES A CHEAP PLASTIC HEATER CONTROL VALVE THAT IS CABLE OPERATED. THE CABLE HAS A ADJUSTER BUILT INTO IT AT THE HEATER CONTROL VALVE. BUT IS NOT ADJUSTABLE TO THE POINT OF BEING ABLE TO FINE TUNE IT TO COMPLETELY GET THE FLOW OF COOLANT THREW THE VALVE TO THE HEATER CORE SHUT OFF. SO YOU END UP WITH SOME COOLANT ALWAYS FLOWING THREW THE HEATER CORE CAUSING THE WARM AIR TO CONSTANTLY FLOW OUT THE VENTS. AND THE PROBLEMS GO ON. IF YOUR TRUCK IS UNDER WARRANTY, ALL I CAN SAY IS CALL FREIGHTLINER CUSTOMER SERVICE 1-800-FTL-HELP AND COMPLAIN. I THINK IF YOU CAN GET ENOUGH PEOPLE TO CALL THEM WITH THIS PROBLEM. YOU MAY BE ABLE TO GET THEM TO PUSH THEIR ENGINEERS TO COME UP WITH A RECALL OR FIELD SERVICE MODIFICATION. IT WOULD NOT ONLY BE A BLESSING TO ALL THE FRUSTRATED BUISNESS CLASS OWNERS BUT ALSO TO THE MECHANIC THAT HAS TO WORK ON THE SYSTEM THAT HAS NO REAL CURES. I CAN GIVE YOU SOME CURES IF YOUR TRUCK IS NOT UNDER WARRANTY THAT WILL REMEDY SOME OF THE PROBLEMS. AS FOR THE NO HEAT TO THE FEET: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK WAS REMOVE THE PLASTIC DUCTS THAT GO FROM THE HEATER BOX TO THE DEFROSTER OUTLETS THAT YOU HAVE AT THE FAR ENDS OF YOUR DASH. I THEN PURCHASED HEATER DUCT HOSE AT A AUTO PARTS STORE AND CONNECTED IT TO THE HEATER BOX AND ROUTED THE OTHER END TO BLOW OUT ON EACH SIDE OF MY DASH. GREAT FEET HEAT. AND YOU STILL GET ENOUGH AIR FLOW OUT OF YOUR CENTER DEFROST VENTS TO KEEP YOUR WINDSHIELD CLEAR. AS FOR THE HEAT ALL THE TIME SYNDROM. ADJUST THE CABLE AT THE HEATER CONROL VALVE WHICH IS LOCATED ON THE DRIVERS SIDE OF THE FIRE WALL AND TUNE IT IN THE BEST YOU CAN. IF YOUR TRUCK HAS WATER SHUT OFF VALVES TURN THEM OFF DURING THE SUMMER MONTHS AND THIS WILL STOP ALL COOLANT FLOW TO THE HEATER CORE. PROBABLY NOT WHAT YOU WANTED TO HEAR! BUT IS THE FACTS! GOOD LUCK AND HOPE THIS INFO IS HELPFUL TO YOU!

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for the reply. I will give the cusyomer service a call and see what they have to say. The fix you stated seems like a good one. Was concidering something like that but won't do that until the warrenty is gone. Mine is a 2000 and want freighliner to fix this. I even checked to see if I could zap them on lemon law but no good there. Even thought about possible class action suit for my feet suffering ( and everyone else too). Sucks that you have to jury rig something that should be fixed from the factory. Will have to play it by ear for now.
Thanks again.
Randy

G

After almost 30 years together, the heat isn't quite as intense as it was, but sometimes we still have a little. We broke in the bunk at a T/S in Romulus a few days ago, but the queen size bunk at home works better. ;)

Gotta say our Rodes has good climate control, as long as you're idling.