Fixing the rare broken mantle

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
On all of the 2011-2014 conventional Hinos, DPF heating is done with a burner system. This system has a few...eccentricities.

One of the rarer things that happens is burner mantle breakage. Maybe 1-2 out of a hundred trucks with burner issues will have a broken mantle. I've personally witnessed two or three.

I don't know if anyone else has tried this, but broken mantles are fixable (which is good because they're a million dollars). A welding shop may be necessary; the front of the burner is made of stainless steel and a plasma cutter is needed to take it apart.
Here's the burner, sitting face up.
JF3vB5I.jpg

Cut around this weld with a plasma cutter. I put that vee there on purpose, to line it back up.

cYNe7zn.jpg

The piece on the right fits into the piece on the left. Clean these up and fit them together where they broke, then weld them together.

17HHkdQ.jpg

Then weld the two pieces back together. Problem solved.

uTtPPCO.jpg

Reactions: natsys and Hino123

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Good post, as a dealer I could probably not convince my boss to do this, but as an owner its nice to have a second option if your mantle breaks. We replaced one at the shop a few weeks back 3-4k I think for a brandy new one.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Good post, as a dealer I could probably not convince my boss to do this, but as an owner its nice to have a second option if your mantle breaks. We replaced one at the shop a few weeks back 3-4k I think for a brandy new one.
Most of the trucks we see are from the same customers, and we retain customers for years when we can show them that we were able to fix a $4k part for a few hundred bucks worth of labor on the same day the truck showed up for repair.