First Truck What to bring

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
A CB radio while not essential can be helpful. As I've now gone 2 days in my first assigned truck without one I realize I need to buy one even if I don't want too. Also bring stuff to clean your truck like disinfectant wipes and or spray just to have piece of mind that the truck is clean if it's an older company truck as was in my case. Aux cable for your phone or MP3 player so it can actually be played thru the speakers in your truck

Reactions: TeamCaffee

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
This is Bob's list:

If I were leaving home to go to orientation and then get in a truck for a few weeks without going home again I think I would take as much as I could. Aside from clothing for at least a week and toiletries, there is not much one cannot buy on the road as far as supplies are concerned. I would take a small tool box with some basic tools. Screwdrivers, flat and Phillips, pliers, a hammer, an adjustable wrench and a set of open end wrenches, a set of Allen wrenches, SAE and metric, a set of Torx wrenches and a box cutter of some type. A socket set, 3/8 drive, deep, metric and SAE. A good tire pressure gauge, dual head, up to 150 PSI, is a must for pre trip inspections. A 25 foot tape measure is something I use pretty regularly but not a must have.

In order to fix lights I would take a circuit tester, wiring pliers, a small assortment of wire ends, electrical tape and some spare fuses. All of this can be purchased on the road but if you have it at home and don't want to double up on tools, bring it from home.

A good pair of coveralls, insulated for winter, regular for summer. A good warm hat. A pair of gloves for fueling, I am partial to well fitting leather gloves but it's your choice, they will get fuel on them so whatever you like. I have a pair in the back of the truck for handling freight and load bars also.

NightDriver

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Copies of your prescriptions, both medicines and glasses.

Your pet's vaccination certificate, if s/he travels with you.

Any over the counter meds you take on occasion. You won't want to get dressed and drive to the nearest Walmart in the middle of the night for a bad case of heartburn, for example.

A flashlight or even better, a hands-free LED headband.

A notebook and pens to log load details and keep timeline style notes of fuel, mpg, maintenance, etc.

Dallen323

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
a pair of comfortable shoes or slippers for the sleeper. my driving /outdoor work shoes stay up front my sleeper shoes stay in the sleeper. that way I dont drag diesel fuel gravel etc into the sleeper area.a clipboard for freight bills.