firewalls etc

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My laptop runs very slow. One reason is Norton Internet Security. There are better virus progams that are free but they do not have firewalls. Is there a really good software firewall other than the Norton/Mcaffe? What about routers? Is there a hardware solution to the problem? Like a router/wireless reciever that can then hard wire the signal into an ethernet port. That would provide a hard firewall. Anyone doing anything like that?
Thanks, Layoutshooter

slc634

Seasoned Expediter
I have always found Zone Alarm to be a fairly good firewall. Less bulk than Norton and faster. Also all routers these days are hardware firewalls by default as far as I know. If you go the Zone Alarm route then I would recommend AVG as an antivirus. It is free and updates daily. I have used it for years on all my computers (even my Linux box) with great success. Good luck. YMMV

Last edited:

gabby

Expert Expediter
I have always found Zone Alarm to be a fairly good firewall. Less bulk than Norton and faster. Also all routers these days are hardware firewalls by default as far as I know. If you go the Zone Alarm route then I would recommend AVG as an antivirus. It is free and updates daily. I have used it for years on all my computers (even my Linux box) with great success. Good luck. YMMV
where do you find the AVG antivirus