Financing An Expedite Truck??

busop1

Seasoned Expediter
Can anyone tell me basic guidelines that are allowed when financing an expedite truck?? Such as how old can the truck be?? Loan to value ratio?? So forth. I know how bad the economy and expedite industry is right now but I need this information for informed planning for the future perhaps a year from now. Thanks

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Tough question to answer. New or used will change some of the dynamics.
Many places use manufacturer financing, in house, 3rd party, local/credit union banks, and SBA loans.
Each will have different requirements whether it is collateral, years of experience, or a certain percentage down.
Some confuse a purchase with a lease. Two separate items with one having some benefits over the other depending on your circumstances. Same with TRAC leases and the like.
I would talk to your accountant and or attorney to determine which path is best PRIOR to making your move.
Good luck

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I could go into the lengthy stuff, but basically a TRAC Lease is a tax lease where the finance company retains the depreciation of the collateral and the customer expenses the monthly payments.

Here is a link from GE Capital with regards to taxes and such
http://www.gecapitalenergy.com/quesa.html#six

Last edited:

moose

Veteran Expediter
Thanks,
let see if i got you right ,

that's dubbell dipping the IRS ?

so why cant i depreciate the truck , and then wright off the truck payments as business expenses ?

Moose.