figuring it out

connienorton

Seasoned Expediter
We are o/o and are looking to make a change. What is the expediting business like. My husband is driving alone now, but I plan to start also. What is expediting with a straight truck like? How is the money? What company is a good one to work with? Thanks for any input you can give me.
:confused:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Input on your questions are just a search away. Use that feature of the site and you will find enough to keep you reading for some time. As a bonus you will get answers for questions you have not even thought to ask about yet.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The husband/wife team is in great demand in this business. You can expect to do well. Like the Xigmeister says, just start reading.

connienorton

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks. I guess we would like to talk to someone who is actually doing it to get a feel for what it is like compared to what we have been doing. It is a big change as we will have to sell our truck and trailer and invest in a straight truck. Is there anyone willing to talk with us?

connienorton

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Dakota for the tip. We have done some reading and you have a lot of great information on your newletter.

We still would like to talk to someone to get more detailed questions answered. Would you be willing to talk with us, or is there someone else in the business who would be willing to talk with us, to give us some information from someone who is actually doing this type of work. Please............

thank you!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The more you can read on the forums the better informed you will be to know what questions to ask. One company does not fit all and I would suggest talking to people with different companies the same as reading about each company. Do not rush selling off anything till you are sure you want to do this.

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My wife and I have done both TT team and expedite team, and I have driven solo doing both. There of course were plusses and minuses to both. TT is mostly daytime driving, and can be loading and unloading, and waiting at docks to get loaded and unloaded. Expediting is alot of night driving and no unloading and very little waiting time at the dock. Those were the two biggest differences, for us, but you have to consider what you're in it for. When we were doing TT, we didn't drive as many miles, and made more money, but at times it was labor intensive. I enjoyed that part of it, and a nice portion of our revenue came from accessorial services,as we did alot of blanketwrap, and specialty cargo. Also driving TT doesn't allow you to get into places you can easily get into in a straight truck when you have time off. After awhile, the TT revenue started to dry up as carriers got deeper and deeper into discounting freight to remain competitive, so we decided to go to expediting as a team. It was a good fit, as teams were becoming more and more in demand in expediting, and the revenue to the truck eclipsed what we could do in TT. Then of course, expedite trucks became better equipped, and were just as comfortable as the big rigs while living on the road. My choice today would be expediting as a team, but TT as a single, if I were looking to max revenue. If I were not concerned with maxing revenue, and just enjoyed life on the road,and wished to make a good living I'd go expeditingas a single. I think both areas have their positives, and negatives at any juncture in the constantly changing trucking business. If you wish to ask me specific questions, just PM me, and I'll give you the straightest answer I can.Whatever you decide, I hope you find the success you are looing for.

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
I dis agree. My husband and I drove TT for 10 years and have been doing s/t now for a year.I found we did 6000 miles as a company TT and get paid the same amount as working for an o/o s/t for doing 3000 miles. I love it!! Most of our loads do come out after 2 pm so yes alot of waiting in the morning. I am still a noobie in s/t but ask me anything and i will answer to the best of my ability.