Fifty More Americans Arrested At White House

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Have you looked at the stories about what they did with the BART in San Francisco?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

clcooper

Expert Expediter
Have you looked at the stories about what they did with the BART in San Francisco?

and what was that ??

the right of the people peaceably to assemble .

US Park Police told event organizers that they want to “deter future participants.”

nowhere did it say they were not being peacefuly . now did it

so their right should invaded ??

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
and what was that ??

US Park Police told event organizers that they want to “deter future participants.”
The quote in the story doesn't say who told whom, it says, "We've been told now that they're doing it as a deterrent," spokesman Daniel Kessler said. The only people saying it's being done as a deterrent are the protesters. But even if the police did tell them that, well, duh. And it's not to deter "future participants" in the protest, it's to deter them from violating the permit which they agreed to, which was they can march — but not stand or sit — on the sidewalk in front of the White House on Pennsylvania Avenue.

“You have to remain in motion. You have to keep walking when you are in the center portion of the White House sidewalk,” said Sgt. David Schlosser, a spokesman for the U.S. Park Police. “You can’t stop, sit down, lay down, that type of thing.”

the right of the people peaceably to assemble.

nowhere did it say they were not being peacefuly . now did it, so their right should invaded ??
Their rights weren't infringed (or invaded). They don't have to right to agree to the conditions of a permit and then violate those conditions, peaceably or not.

Everybody knows you can't have a sit-in or a stationary protest on the sidewalk directly in front of the White House. Been that way for decades, ever since people tried camping out there during the Vietnam War protests.

What they did with BART, even though you can understand why they'd want to do it, was completely and totally outrageous, and heads should be rolling down the tracks for it.

clcooper

Expert Expediter
Check out this link.

SF subway sets public debate on cell shutdown | News - Security - CNET News

Let me know if it doesn't work because I am posting this from a mobile phone designed site, sometimes they reroute.

why did they cut the wireless service ??? i didnt see any reason for them to cut the wireless service at all .

control of the people is why they cut the wireless service. which is ???

YES the stuff the protesters did is not right either but it was after the wireless service was cut .

the rights and freedoms are being taken away . slowly

paullud

Veteran Expediter
why did they cut the wireless service ??? i didnt see any reason for them to cut the wireless service at all .

control of the people is why they cut the wireless service. which is ???

YES the stuff the protesters did is not right either but it was after the wireless service was cut .

the rights and freedoms are being taken away . slowly

The rights are obviously an important issue but imagine if someone had a medical emergency.

clcooper

Expert Expediter
The quote in the story doesn't say who told whom, it says, "We've been told now that they're doing it as a deterrent," spokesman Daniel Kessler said. The only people saying it's being done as a deterrent are the protesters. But even if the police did tell them that, well, duh. And it's not to deter "future participants" in the protest, it's to deter them from violating the permit which they agreed to, which was they can march — but not stand or sit — on the sidewalk in front of the White House on Pennsylvania Avenue..
Incommoding. This is blocking vehicle or pedestrian traffic on the streets, sidewalks, and other walkways. This is by far the most common charge we see when protestors sit down in the street. Sidewalks are trickier because you generally have a right to engage in free speech activities on the public sidewalks; but if you so clog them that no one else can use the sidewalks, you might be charged with incommoding. Maximum penalty is a $250 fine and/or 90 days in jail. DC Code § 22-1107.

Federal buildings often have special rules. Increasingly in recent years, the government has begun constructing barricades around federal buildings that may enclose much or all of the sidewalk. We are unaware of any prosecutions to date for demonstrating within these barriers, and the constitutionality of limiting speech there is highly questionable. Recently, two courts declared a law banning expressive activity in front of the US Capitol without a permit unconstitutional, refusing to convict a protestor and issuing an injunction against enforcing that law. Still, the government justifies impositions on protest and other activity as needed to combat terrorism, and the courts have often looked the other way when the First Amendment gets trod on by "national security

Exercising Your Rights Of Political Protest In Washington, DC

“You have to remain in motion. You have to keep walking when you are in the center portion of the White House sidewalk,” said Sgt. David Schlosser, a spokesman for the U.S. Park Police. “You can’t stop, sit down, lay down, that type of thing.”.

where did you get this at ?? because i didnt see it in the 2 articles i read or when i did a web sreach .
and from what i post . and what you say here . is differant . going by that information i say
Sgt. David Schlosser is makeing the rules up as he goes
Their rights weren't infringed (or invaded). They don't have to right to agree to the conditions of a permit and then violate those conditions, peaceably or not. .

no body has a right to deter future participants . unless they are known going to start troble . but alittle step over the line is that a reason to deter future participants .
SO IT IS OK FOR THE GOVERNMENT TO STEP OVER THE LINE BUT NOBODY ELSE CAN .

do i think the protesters step over the line knowingly . NO because are the lines painted on the side walk . your line of center may be differant then mine .

Everybody knows you can't have a sit-in or a stationary protest on the sidewalk directly in front of the White House. Been that way for decades, ever since people tried camping out there during the Vietnam War protests..

What they did with BART, even though you can understand why they'd want to do it, was completely and totally outrageous, and heads should be rolling down the tracks for it.

whos heads ??
i do agree if the protesters are causeing problems arrest them .
but if they are told not to cross that line on the ground if you do you will be hanged . i think that is BS .

just like any protest .we all do need to listen them . yes same are wakos . but same are not . and do have some truth in what they say .
so if they protest about closeing yellowstone so a oil company is going to level it all off to drill for oil . are you willing to lose yellow stone . ??(this is a example )

clcooper

Expert Expediter
The rights are obviously an important issue but imagine if someone had a medical emergency.

not sure what you are saying

the bart did not have a right to shut off the cell service .(the reason why they did ) and yes what if a medical emergency happened .
because bart didnt want the protest to happen .

the protesters said they did nothing that bart said they did . WHO SHOULD WE BELIEVE

paullud

Veteran Expediter
not sure what you are saying

the bart did not have a right to shut off the cell service .(the reason why they did ) and yes what if a medical emergency happened .
because bart didnt want the protest to happen .

the protesters said they did nothing that bart said they did . WHO SHOULD WE BELIEVE

I'm saying the service should not have been shut down not only because of the people's rights but also the possibility of an emergency.

clcooper

Expert Expediter
I'm saying the service should not have been shut down not only because of the people's rights but also the possibility of an emergency.

the protesters said they did nothing that bart said they did .
WHO SHOULD WE BELIEVE ??

the Citizen or the government ??

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's about people's rights. BART's been in operation down there since long before cell phones, and they dealt with emergencies just fine without cell phones. And that's also BART's take on it. An emergency might have occurred, and it would have been handled just fine. But the humongous issue is cutting off people's communications to prevent literally a thought crime. People were Tweeting about a protest (that may or may not have occurred) and BART shut it down. They shut it ALL down. That's inexcusable.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
where did you get this at ?? because i didnt see it in the 2 articles i read or when i did a web sreach .
and from what i post . and what you say here . is differant . going by that information i say
Sgt. David Schlosser is makeing the rules up as he goes
I'm really not one to come back and justify what I post simply because others can't or won't do the research, or because they don't believe me, mainly because I don't make up stuff and try to pass it of as fact. Also because I'm often too lazy to take the time to go back and find it again. But in this case I will. The quote above is from The Vancouver Sun.

no body has a right to deter future participants . unless they are known going to start troble . but alittle step over the line is that a reason to deter future participants .
Exactly. No one is trying to deter those people from protesting, but they are, absolutely, trying to deter them from breaking the law and violating the terms of the permit they agreed to.

SO IT IS OK FOR THE GOVERNMENT TO STEP OVER THE LINE BUT NOBODY ELSE CAN .
The government didn't step over the line here. It it 100% totally irrelevant how peaceably those people were protesting, if they were standing still in the center section of the sidewalk in front of the White House. They knew it when they did it, they did it on purpose, and they did it to get arrested.

do i think the protesters step over the line knowingly . NO because are the lines painted on the side walk . your line of center may be differant then mine .
The boundaries are well marked and well known to anyone who has been there, and they are certainly well known to anyone who obtains a protest permit, since the boundaries are well explained in the permit.

whos heads ??
BART's heads

i do agree if the protesters are causeing problems arrest them .
but if they are told not to cross that line on the ground if you do you will be hanged . i think that is BS .
Two different subjects here. No one told anyone that if they crossed a line they'll be hanged or anything like that. The protester are free to walk back and forth across that line all day and all night if they want to, they just can't stop and stand still or have a sit-in. They told the police right up front before the protests began that they planned to remain motionless so as to get arrested. They either thought or were told by police that if they did that, they would be arrested, fined, and released. Problem is, if you have a prior arrest, or you're from another country, you're not going to get released without seeing a judge first.

so if they protest about closeing yellowstone so a oil company is going to level it all off to drill for oil . are you willing to lose yellow stone . ??(this is a example )
Yellowstone? What the heck does Yellowstone have to do with any of this? Stay focused, man, stay focused. You're too easily distracted.

tbubster

Seasoned Expediter
This happens all they time.Does not matter where the protest is held.could be in washington DC/new york/Arizona.The people protesting get themself arrested on purpose!Why you ask?Simple because they know the headline will read PEACEFULL PROTESTERS ARRESTED BY POLICE.It brings alot more news coverage to their protest.Every one of those peacefull protesters knew Exactly what they were doing when they stopped moveing.:D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Exactly. and not only that, they told the police at the time they got the permit they would do exactly as they did. They also asked the police what the result would be if they followed through with their plan, and the police told them the normal routine is to arrest them, let them pay a small fine, and then let them go. And that's what police did for most. However there comes a problem when someone who is arrested had prior arrests and/or convictions, or if the are from another country. For those you need to see a judge and explain yourself.