Feedback

nealncarole03

Expert Expediter
CLM

My husband and I have been giving serious consideration to driving for a Contractor. However, we have several concerns and would like some feedback from those of you who have been out there for a while doing this. First of all, we hear from several how good the money is, and how they wished they had gotten into this much sooner. Then, we hear from those who say they are going broke every day, doing a LOT of sitting or running a lot of deadhead miles. My husband has been driving a truck for about 30 years, and I have a Class B CDL that I have had for about 14 yrs. We are both in our early 60's, in good health, and just want to do something where we can be together, as right now, he runs OTR and I have a job at home.
The other issue is, we just HAVE to be able to bring home $700-$1000 a week to "make it" and be at the level we are now. When one considers that the Contractors show the drivers as "sub-contractors" and therefore, the drivers pay the fuel and their own taxes, are you REALLY MAKING the good money, consistently? Obviously, we have been dealing with the "trucking businiess" for a number of years (even had our own truck at one time), so we ARE aware that once in a while you'll have a slow week or two. But, we just CANNOT afford to risk our "welfare" at this point in life.
So, what's the advice out there?
Thanks for all responses.
Carole and Neal Mathews

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My husband and I have been giving serious consideration to driving for a Contractor. However, we have several concerns and would like some feedback from those of you who have been out there for a while doing this. First of all, we hear from several, how good the money is, and how they wished they had gotten into this much sooner. YES!!! There is very good money in expediting, But in order to [font color="gold" size="2"]“get the money”[/font] you have to work for it. It is very important to be a team player. Learning all the tricks and knowing how and when to apply them is the key.

Then, we hear from those who say they are going broke every day, doing a LOT of sitting or running a lot of deadhead miles. There are a lot of sacrifices that come with it, that most of the ones that are crying broke obviously know nothing about, or don’t have the discipline or control needed to [font color="gold" size="2"]“get the money”[/font].

My husband has been driving a truck for about 30 years, and I have a Class B CDL that I have had for about 14 yrs. We are both in our early 60's, in good health, “Not to scare you off, but for something to think about” A successful expediter puts in a lot of time, countless days and nights of unconventional living. We go day in and day out without a good nights sleep. Only to get a power nap here or there depending on the load you are delivering. The stress and fatigue will take its toll.

and just want to do something where we can be together,
Ever consider working for a truck load carrier as a team?

as right now, he runs OTR and I have a job at home. The other issue is, we just HAVE to be able to bring home $700-$1000 a week to "make it" and be at the level we are now. In expediting and to [font color="gold" size="2"]“get the money”[/font] you may want to stay out three to five weeks at a time, if not longer. If you plan to stay out one week it be best you find something else.

When one considers that the Contractors show the drivers as "sub-contractors" and therefore, the drivers pay the fuel and their own taxes, are you REALLY MAKING the good money, consistently? Working for someone else always eliminates your chances of making the better money, because now you have another piece of the pie to give up.

Obviously, we have been dealing with the "trucking business" for a number of years (even had our own truck at one time), so we ARE aware that once in a while you'll have a slow week or two. But, we just CANNOT afford to risk our "welfare" at this point in life. [font red="color" size="2"]Does that mean you can afford to give up your health?[/font] As I stated above expediting is long hours and hard work. Many times I hear recruiters tell a newbie or want-a-be that expediting is a way to see the country and get paid will doing it. Don’t get me wrong! If done right you can enjoy the sites along the way.

So, what's the advice out there? My advice would be for you to explore all the possibilities before jumping into something. Because you are already in the business, you may consider buying a used truck of your own. Learning the ins and outs isn’t all that hard. This will increase your revenue! May find someone to lease a truck from. Explore other avenues of trucking! Because of your age you may not want to deal with all the stress and fatigue that comes with the job.
[font color="aqua" size="3"]GOOD LUCK!!![/font]
Thanks for all responses.
Carole and Neal Mathews

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Carole,need a little more info,what type of unit do you plan to drive,also what part of the country do you live in?. Running as a team in a D or C unit can usually provide you with at least $700 a week before taxes. These days most owners seem to go with a 60/40 split,you get the 60% but buy the fuel and tolls.If the truck grosses $2500 in a week you get $1500,figure $400 or so for fuel,leaves $1100,food and a tax reserve should be about $300,leaving you $800.
There is a company that advertises on this site that offers a attractive deal,Ed Housworth Trucking out of GA will lease you the equipment and you give him a percentage of the trucks gross.The more you earn the more you keep. I would check him out,also the Company that you are going to lease on to is very important as some are Nationwide and some are Regional.If you leave their regon you may have a long deadhead on your dime back to their region.

nealncarole03

Expert Expediter
CLM
Thanks so much for taking time to answer some of my questions. Yes, we DO know that to earn the "good money" you have RUN HARD. That's true, even with the BIG trucks. I'm really more concerned about the percentage of time these trucks "sit", as that, too, can "take you down the river". We will take our time in exploring ALL of the positives and negatives before we decide whether to "jump in", but I appreciate your input. thanks again, and "stay safe".
Carole Mathews

nealncarole03

Expert Expediter
CLM
We are looking at driving a truck with a 24Ft. box, or similar, I'm not sure how that is categorized, because I have a Class B CDL and am qualified to drive a truck like that. We live in the Kansas City area, but are basically free to run anywhere. We prefer not to run in the far northeastern area, because of all of the highway restrictions etc. but I guess the bulk of the expedite freight is in the eastern third of the US, particularly in the southeast. Would that be correct? We have been approached by several O/O who wanted us to drive for them, but wanted to sign us on as "sub-contractors". Again, I think it might work out okay, if we didn't have a high percentage of "sitting".
Thanks to you, too, for taking time to answer my questions. I appreciate all of the information and advice we can get.
Have a good one and stay safe!
Carole Mathews

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sitting seems important to you, as it should be, so let me try to tackle that one.

First, I'm talking about now and specifically about my company only, FedEx CC. In most of the midwest states and across the midwest, the only times you'll sit will be by your choice. We usually go out of service to sleep for 5 hours after delivering and still have a good run when we go available. In the southern states, you'll also get runs but not as many and often for a shorter distance. Some other companies are reported to do really well there, so you have to check around.

Second, you'll have to develop a reputation with the dispatchers as the truck that will take anything. We do this and we seem to always find a pretty decent run, even when we have to take several un-decent runs before the good stuff shows up. To us, the important thing is to keep moving rather than sitting in a truck stop "advertising". Sometimes the offer you get will be it for that day.

Third, the ideas of buying a truck, leasing with an owner, leasing to buy from an owner or just working for somebody will take a lot of thought. The more risk you assume, the more potential money. The less risk, the easier it is to walk away if you don't like it (or can't stand being together in the same cab for weeks at a time). These choices are well covered here if you do some back reading thru the archives.

And last, be aware that the time frame you are researching should be May 2004 or thereabouts, as doing it now doesn't give you time to learn the system before winter (survival).

Good luck and keep asking!

Vernon

nealncarole03

Expert Expediter
CLM
Thanks so much for your response and helpful advice. We will definitely research all of this information completely, before we make our decision. I completely understand that NO JOB offers "all roses", so the point here is to understand the "cons" so we can make a "choice" as to what we can live with, and what we can't.

Thanks again, and Happy, SAFE, Trucking.

Carole Mathews

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There are alot of good ideas on here for someone new. You should do in the area you are talking with most of the companies. Teams will be at a premium after the first of the year because of the new HOS rules. Good Luck!!!

nealncarole03

Expert Expediter
CLM
Thanks for your response. I appreciate all of the good advice and feedback. I'm thinking we're going to "pass", at least for now. Maybe we'll see if these fuel prices seem to "stabalize" in the next 6 months or so, and see how things go with these new DOT rules. We just can't "risk" everything at this time in our lives.
Good luck and "Safe trucking" to you all!
Carole Mathews;-)

Lureveto

Expert Expediter
Carole,
I have a very close friend with some really nice trucks leased to Landstar Express. My wife and I drove for him about 2 years and did real well. If you will call me I will give you his number and you can see what he has to offer. He does not require you to LEASE his truck from him. All you have to do is drive it and if you are interested later he will make you a deal that is unheard of in this business. He has trucks on with Fed-Ex and Conway . I spoke with him only a few days ago and he has a new truck on with Fed-Ex that is only a couple of months old looking for a team
Call me at 386-546-0632