Feedback on MCP 200's

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
nope, its all go....well every once in a while I do get that "blue screen" of error messages and "system failure" and I have to pull the main feed fuse and let it reboot, but thats only happen maybe 3 times since the install....

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
They are slow to boot up. But you have to remember that they are running windows (I think they run on xp) so they boot up like a laptop.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was just wonder after reading Fedx forum and the problems they are having....must that extra software built in with load offers or something....

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
No we have not done that as of yet. I wanted to get them all installed and all of the scanners up and running before we looked at some of the other options that were available. The feds are going to mandate EOBR's, it is not an if anymore it is a when. They are also indirectly forcing it thru CSA. A company on elogs automatically gets rid of violations for "form and manner". This is about a 25% to 30% advantage on the CSA rating system. We will be launching the online web training very soon, and we are looking at the content delivery tools as well.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No we have not done that as of yet. I wanted to get them all installed and all of the scanners up and running before we looked at some of the other options that were available. The feds are going to mandate EOBR's, it is not an if anymore it is a when. They are also indirectly forcing it thru CSA. A company on elogs automatically gets rid of violations for "form and manner". This is about a 25% to 30% advantage on the CSA rating system. We will be launching the online web training very soon, and we are looking at the content delivery tools as well.

At least EOBR eliminates the minor violations...like failure to have log signed and pencil mistakes

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Exactly, that is the kind of stuff they call "form and manner".

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
What I liked about EORB:

Logs by the minute instead of 15 minute increments.

30 minute off duty driving when not under dispatch.

Ability to see some engine performance.

Not having to write all the locations on a paper log.

What I didn't like:

Only able to make corrections to on duty, off duty and SB. Safety or compliance can only make corrections to driving. Which leads me too....

It is what it is. Meaning, traffic jam like 7 hrs from DC to Richmond or lower Manhattan to Boston 9.5 hrs on a Sunday night. But that is the purpose if it.

More DOT inspections. As told to me point blank in GA. "I pulled you in because I thought you would have electronic logs". They can do more inspections and meet their quotas when they don't have to sit there and calculate out a log book.

When you get down to that last hour of drive time, the phone rings off the hook from you know who.
Got it down once to 9 minutes left.
People get nervous in the office when that happens. Hey, I have 11 hrs, so what if I have to use most of it. They didn't get. Load was delivered on time, fueled up and in the parking spot.

Now this is the biggie, apparently dispatch sees your log differently than what S&C sees. According to S&C, their looking at the wrong one. Why are their multiples. Get on the same page. It is a major problem when it comes to availablity and board position.
Now you have to spend more time on the phone getting it squared away instead of resting.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Has anyone had problems with this new QC killing their battery?

What are you driving?

Nope, it goes into the "Sleep mode" and draws next to nothing....

Chef, it's supposed to but Jim and I have been noticing that every once in a while the truck won't start after sitting a couple of days. We've been trying to trace it but haven't pinned it down. We don't know if the QC is keeping the modules in the truck awake, or vice versa.

The QC is supposed to cycle for 2-3 hours and then go into sleep mode. During this cycle period each time the QC powers up, it wakes up the central timing module on the Sprinter. So you have both drawing power from the battery for that 2-3 hours each time they cycle. If your battery is weak, it could draw it down below the nine volts needed to fire the injectors on start up.

Now this scenario is in play when the van sits for 2 or 3 days without starting it. Jim's has refused to crank twice like this. After the second time it did it he disconnected the battery cable when he parked it. When he connected the cable two days later the engine started right up. Our next step will be to cut the power to the QC when he parks and leave the battery cable on. That will tell us if the QC is involved or not.

Did you cut power completely on your truck when you parked it or is the QC still powered? Let me know.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I disconnected the main battery and the house bank also so there is no power going to anything...From what you just wrote, I am glad I did!! :D

I even disconnected the cables at the isolator so that nothing could be possibly drawn back thru and open diode in the alterator because of how i have my isolator and alternator wired to better control the voltage going to the starting battery and the isolator...

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I disconnected the main battery and the house bank also so there is no power going to anything...From what you just wrote, I am glad I did!! :D

I even disconnected the cables at the isolator so that nothing could be possibly drawn back thru and open diode in the alterator because of how i have my isolator and alternator wired to better control the voltage going to the starting battery and the isolator...

Good. Sprinter's are wired completely different from cars and regular vans. When Tim installed Jim's QC, Jim had to stop him from connecting the wiring that would show the speed of the truck. In Sprinters, the speed sensor is in the ABS sensor. Had the wiring been connected, the ABS module would have been fried. Just an example.

As far as I know, Jim's was the first Sprinter to get the QC, so the rest were wired like his.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Good. Sprinter's are wired completely different from cars and regular vans. When Tim installed Jim's QC, Jim had to stop him from connecting the wiring that would show the speed of the truck. In Sprinters, the speed sensor is in the ABS sensor. Had the wiring been connected, the ABS module would have been fried. Just an example.

As far as I know, Jim's was the first Sprinter to get the QC, so the rest were wired like his.

Wolf, I am probably gonna end up with a new one instead of used. A 2010 or 11. Do you know if anything has changed on those for hooking up?

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Wolf, I am probably gonna end up with a new one instead of used. A 2010 or 11. Do you know if anything has changed on those for hooking up?

There were some changes, but they didn't change the transmission which is where speed sensors normally live. The vehicle speed is still coming from the ABS sensor. Tim has installed many QC's on the new models, so you shouldn't have any problems there.

I'll check to make sure of other changes and let you know.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
There were some changes, but they didn't change the transmission which is where speed sensors normally live. The vehicle speed is still coming from the ABS sensor. Tim has installed many QC's on the new models, so you shouldn't have any problems there.

I'll check to make sure of other changes and let you know.

Great, thank you soooooo much.