Feedback needed for Sprinter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep, it's not the corrosion of the inside of the aluminum that's the problem, especially if it is flushed and renewed on a regular basis, it's the various seals, pump parts and other non-aluminum parts that go first. Water pump goes, or a heater core goes, and not many people, wrenches included, would link that to the coolant. "Bunk", hehe, that's a good one.

He almost said.."Fiddlesticks" at first....;)

Since all them parts you named are not "eternal" parts we'll never know if they go prematurely because of coolant.

He does prescribe to the rest of your "never go off the list" theory. He's seen way too many problems people/businesses cutting corners....wrong ATF...off market replacement parts...especially some E-Bay parts....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep, it's not the corrosion of the inside of the aluminum that's the problem, especially if it is flushed and renewed on a regular basis, it's the various seals, pump parts and other non-aluminum parts that go first. Water pump goes, or a heater core goes, and not many people, wrenches included, would link that to the coolant. "Bunk", hehe, that's a good one.

He almost said.."Fiddlesticks" at first....;)

Since all them parts you named are not "eternal" parts we'll never know if they go prematurely because of coolant.

He does prescribe to the rest of your "never go off the list" theory. He's seen way too many problems people/businesses cutting corners....wrong ATF...off market replacement parts...especially some E-Bay parts....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Some off market replacement parts are fine. But, for example, on eBay you'll find a dirt cheap O2 sensor. You get what you pay for. :)

As for mixing chemicals, just keep in mind that when you mix two different chemicals, you end up with a third chemical.

And I can't believe MB has special head gasgets made for this thing that just happens to need this "special coolant"
Ah, but they did. So did other manufacturers. GM went with Dex-cool (a Texaco product) which is a non-silicated Organic Acid Technology (OAT) coolant, and they engineered the cooling system and all the parts, including the seals, that come into contact with it accodingly. Chrysler, Ford (and most others) use a (slighltly) silicated Non Organic Acid Technology coolant (HOAT). Everything was engineered accordingly. The old school green stuff is highly silicated, organic technology, which gives good protection, but breaks down very quickly (30,000 miles or so) and when it breaks down the silicates turn to pure evil.

But it's more than just silicates being the difference between OAT and HOAT coolant. They are both glycol based, but they are different chemistries.

Also, the G05 HOAT coolant has between 250-325 ppm silicates. Again, Dex-cool has zero. The one-size-fits-all coolant that's good for all amuminum engines, how many ppm does it contain? I dunno, but I'd sure wanna know before I put some in my radiator. Does it contain none, which will dilute the G05 that's already in there? And what chemistry is it? Is it miscilbe, or will it create a new chemical when mixed?

Daimler specifically recommends against mixing G05 (and G48) with any other coolant. GM specifically recommends against mixing Dex-cool with any other coolant. A one-size-fits-all coolant can't possibly be good for G05 and Dex-cool at the same time. No way. Basic chemistry tells you that, and the unknown factor of the silicate level makes it iffy at best.

In any case, he's seen the wrong fluid cause problems. With ATF, the wrong fluid will show itself very, very quickly. The wrong gear oil for the rear end will, too. Same with power steering fluid. Wrong brake fluid will show itself in a matter of weeks or months. The wrong coolant will show itself, too, just not as quickly, and it might not show up directly as a coolant problem, as it might be a coolant-related part that goes bad, and the connection might not be evident. But if all the bodily fluids other than coolant cause problems, it stands to reason that the wrong coolant will cause problems, too, even if you are completely unaware of silicates and chemistries and OATs and HOATs and stuff.

There's a few things I know, and a lot that I don't know, but one thing I know for sure, if you always stick to the list, the list won't come back to haunt you. They can't point their finger at you and say, "You used the wrong stuff!"

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The tech gave a premixed gallon of the stuff the he used....so I guess I 'll relent to U and Rlent....hehehehehe

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Indeed ....... well, I gotta head back up to the shed ..... doing the front brakes (.... the originals, lasted 175K) ..... when I pulled the driver's side I almost thought that I might be able to get another 25K out of them - the pad with the least amount of lining remaining had over an 1/8" ... and the other one had over 1/4" ..... was gonna swap them around.

But then I pulled the passenger side and most worn pad was down to around 1/16" .... so I decided to just go ahead and do the whole enchilada .......

Hey OVM - didn't you have a front wheel bearing go bad ? ...... was it the passenger side or the driver's side?

My driver's side bearings seem to be fine ..... the passenger side felt a little dicey .... haven't pulled them out of the hub yet, but I'm thinking that they may be getting ready to go ..... they felt "dry" when I checked them on the vehicle.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Indeed ....... well, I gotta head back up to the shed ..... doing the front brakes (.... the originals, lasted 175K) ..... when I pulled the driver's side I almost thought that I might be able to get another 25K out of them - the pad with the least amount of lining remaining had over an 1/8" ... and the other one had over 1/4" ..... was gonna swap them around.

But then I pulled the passenger side and most worn pad was down to around 1/16" .... so I decided to just go ahead and do the whole enchilada .......

Hey OVM - didn't you have a front wheel bearing go bad ? ...... was it the passenger side or the driver's side?

My driver's side bearings seem to be fine ..... the passenger side felt a little dicey .... haven't pulled them out of the hub yet, but I'm thinking that they may be getting ready to go ..... they felt "dry" when I checked them on the vehicle.

Only 175k? ....me and Steady Eddie each got over 300,000k....on the fronts...rear are still going strong...
You taking on a lot of heavy loads?

Nope not a bearing problem...was a loose ball joint, passenger side...had the bearings repacked as part of PM around 150,000 and again at 318,000 when I did the brakes as part of PM and he was in there anyhow so I saved some labour charges...

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Only 175k? ....me and Steady Eddie each got over 300,000k....on the fronts...
They musta cheaped out on the linings on the '06's ..... :D

rear are still going strong...
Yeah, mine too - last time I checked them (20K miles ago) they were probably better than 50% or 60% ....

You taking on a lot of heavy loads?
Nope, not really ......

I did run a couple heavy ones back with my former carrier, when I was young and foolish (now I'm older and foolish) .... 4740 lbs ..... but they were short (less than 100 miles) :rolleyes: ....

If I had to guess, it was starting to use the transmission as a brake late in the game ..... that, and numerous side trips while I'm out on the road (Starbucks ..... gotta have my morning fix :eek:)

Nope not a bearing problem...was a loose ball joint, passenger side
Ahhh .... ball joint - I knew it was something down there on the front.

...had the bearings repacked as part of PM around 150,000 and again at 318,000 when I did the brakes as part of PM
Very wise move - I found the grease in mine to have thinned out considerably ..... about 1/2 as thin as new grease - and there definitely wasn't an overabundance of grease.

I wished I had pulled mine at 100K or 125K and repacked 'em .... probably could have avoided having to replace the bearing on the passenger side now - the passenger side inner and outer bearings and races did not look all that great - so I went ahead threw new ones in. Driver's side looked essentially new.

and he was in there anyhow so I saved some labour charges...
Right.

My MIL lit this morning when I started it up - looks like I might have a bad glow plug on No. 4 cylinder - going over to the Doktor's later today and have it him throw it on the DRB III and pull all the codes.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My MIL lit this morning when I started it up - looks like I might have a bad glow plug on No. 4 cylinder - going over to the Doktor's later today and have it him throw it on the DRB III and pull all the codes.
Both Eddie and I had ongoing glow problems....tried to piecemeal like one at a time...best solution and I know we hear it all the time is to do the set its not that expensive AND module at the same time...plug goes out and trips module thingee....
You can get them at a real good price off E-Bay and OEM at that...

BTW..the computer is not all that accurate about picking up the bad plug...it lies! *LOL*