Fed Ex CC

nelco35565

Expert Expediter
I have been looking at several companies to sign on my cargo van with. I like the majority of what the Fed Ex recruiter has had to say and I like its main terminals closeness to my home, but I need more "inside information". I would welcome any replys to tell me what some folks that actually drive or have drove for Fed Ex CC think about them. Good or Bad - I welcome it all.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I don't know where you live but expediting companies do not have shipping terminals.Just about all of the pickups are doen at the shippers location then taken to the consignee location.Now FDXCC and Panther etc have adminstrative complexes that have the various dispatch,safety, settelment departments in one location but they do not handle freight from these locations. Hope this helps,BTW I didn't think FEDEXCC was adding cargo vans at this time.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I too had heard no Cargo vans being added. I will also say I have talk to some folks recently that are not happy as a solo with Fed Ex. I have no idea there are a number of folks on here that should help. Are you solo? and also did FECC sign you hope with the van or are just considering them? Best of luck. Did you by any chance talk with Tri State or Panther. I don't know if they still take cargo vans or not but the folks that I knew when with TS did ok.

The Owner who once went by RACEMAN but due to the outcome of the Nextel Cup, am now just 6.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
FedEx Custom Critical doesn't have a lot of freight out of Haleyville but they get some out of Alabama. Once you leave the state with freight it doesn't really matter where you live becuse we go from city to city til we get tired and deadhead on home. If you are getting good vibes from their recruiter then trust your instincts. In addition, read thru some of the archived posts here and you'll see that, overall, FedEx Custom Critical is a well respected company with opportunities not often surpassed by any of the other expedited carriers. I've been with them well over 15 years and there are many more drivers that have been with them and their predecessor for much longer than that. They must be doing something right to satisfy so many of us.

Terry

nelco35565

Expert Expediter
I live in North Alabama about 2 1/2 hours from Fed Ex HQ in Memphis. I understand about the terminals, I was jsut using it as a point of reference. Also I would have to attend orientation somewhere - so memphis would be great. Thanks for your input. Oh and I am just starting to get into this - Probably won't get going till over in the late spring. Have been told I could get a van on by then.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
FedEx Custom Critical is HQ in Green, Ohio. The Memphis location is the Corporate HQ. All owner/ operator business is done with the Green office, including orientation. The recruiter should have made this clear to you. As a newcomer, you'd be best served by spending some time talking to many of the expediting carriersa, owners and operator at the Mid America Truck Show in Louisville during March. Lots to learn there.

nelco35565

Expert Expediter
I certainly appreciate that bit of information. I was pretty much lead to believe it was all out of memphis. I would like to make it up to the show. I am certainly gonna try.

truckerbuddy

Seasoned Expediter
I AM A STRAIGHT TRUCK DRIVER WITH FEDEX and i bought a dodge sprinter and called them to sign on my van and they told me no. because there are to many cargo vans on with them and not to much feright to put in them so I had to take my van to Panther and I am glad I did they have a great system there that works very well with vans. I am going to miss FEDEX because i like working for them. they were very good to me but they also told me in 3 months or so they will be adding more vans if this is true i might go back but i am not going to rock the boat if Panther treats me good and keeps me working I am going to stay. I have a close friend with a van on with fedex and he lives in ohio he is luckey to get 1000 miles a week and is looking to sign on with panther because they have many van runs and keep them busy. just my 2 cents thats all

Dave Johnson

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Are you running enough with Panther to make up for the difference in pay? I used to run with FedEx many years ago. Back then, I got paid mostly around a buck a mile or so. I know Panther adverises 77 cents a mile.

Dave