FECC BAD safety practice

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
So yesterday, while sitting in between, loads, I started getting a barrage of ridiculous load offers, they came about 1 every 15 minutes. This lasted until I finally accepted one. I was in Bloomington il.

Anyway most of the load offers had at least 100 miles DH, and were B loads so the rates just plain sucked, The thing that ****es me off here, is these loads started coming out around 9 am
and I didn't get booked on an acceptable load until around 1400, even though I accepted 2 prior offers.

My point is I was so frustrated and tired by the time I actually got booked, to be honest I should not have made the run. I was exhausted, even though I hadn't driven since 1 am the previous night.

FECC literally wore me, is it just me or does anyone else consider this frequent ridiculous load offering as a safety nuisance?

I'm not going to take much more of it, I have already called dispatch, I'm tempted to write the FMCSA, or whoever busts their ballz about stupid things like this cause it is just plain stupid to send out 70 cent per mile load offers to a truck that cost 35 cent a mile in fuel just to run.

as almost all the loads I turn down are so obviously not for my truck this really burns me. However the loss of SLEEP is not cool!!!!!!

astikhossw

Seasoned Expediter
This has been going on all year,and i am fed up with it i am am making prep's to leave.Plus they mentioned the discounting of loads in there last quarterly dvd,and i don"t plan on going paperless.I feel your pain.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'd have to do some thinking about how to communicate this in a way that would be truly get through and be fully understood by the policy makers and dispatchers at FedEx Custom Critical. A lot of drivers would have a hard time putting this into words as well but they know it is real.

"This" is the emotional response that drivers have to those Qualcomm (C-Link) beeps and how wearing they can be.

EASYTRADER, it is perfectly understandable to any of us that has experienced a barrage of beeps over the course of a day that you would feel worn out, even if your log book shows you had more than enough sleeper time to drive.

These beeps are not just beeps. And what the beeps are to one driver may be something completely different to another.

For example, Diane and I are not particularly bothered by seeing good loads offered, accepting them, and seeing them go to another truck. Yet another very good White Glove team that had been with the company nearly 20 years found that experience so unbearable that they left the company. That's not just talk. This team was highly praised by the company in company communications. And their very specific and clearly stated reason for leaving was seeing accepted offers go to other trucks.

Two teams...two totally different reactions to the same kind of beeps and the dispatch results that followed.

Now think about the emotional energy this team expended in the months before they quit. These beeps bothered them enough to ultimately leave. Think about what their emotional experience was with each beep and how long it lasted each time they saw a good load that they accepted go to another truck.

The beeps that bother Diane and me the most are those of repeated load offers, made again and again after we have already declined them once, twice, three times and even more in some cases (the record is nine).

We're sitting in the truck waiting for freight. Say four bad offers have already been made and turned down. We have been upset for weeks about repeated load offers. And then it comes, the fifth beep of the day. The first thing that happens is the emotional response. We don't know what the beep is. It might be a fleet message. It might be a question. It might be a good offer. It might be a repeat offer. We don't know.

But we do know how we feel before we even move to pick up the Qualcomm unit and read the screen. We feel tense. We feel irritated. We feel disrespected. We feel sad. We feel uncertain about what will happen next and fear it won't be good. We feel it physically in our guts as the muscles tighten. We feel it in our faces as our lips tighten. We feel it in our breathing as a deep breath is taken to brace ourselves for another disappointing experience. Then we look at the screen and run the emotional scripts that are prompted by whatever is there.

Say you are in the training room at Green and the room is full of drivers. They are on a short break and chatting happily away. If you used a device in a hidden location in that room to sound a single Qualcomm beep, you know what will happen. Everyone will stop whatever they are doing and any number of things may be said or done next.

These beeps are not just beeps. The longer you react to them in this business, the more a part of you they become. Hearing them all day long with negative results following each beep most of the time is not a small thing. It conditions you to dislike the beep. It can indeed drain your energy and it motivates some outstanding contractors to leave the company.

You don't react to a beep like you mute out a TV commercial. Beeps matter to contractors and drivers. The next beep may take you home or put you on a lucrative run that makes your truck payment for the month. If money is short, the beeps become even more important because the next beep can be the difference between keeping your creditors at bay or not.

For people who don't live with the beeps, think of it this way. A beep to a contractor is like a phone call from school to a parent that begins, "I'm calling about Trevor (or whatever your son's or daughter's name may be). What happens next may be good news, neutral news or bad news, but whatever it is, it is important, and you will likely brace yourself emotionally for what is about to come next. That kind of bracing takes energy and we contractors do it with every beep, day and night, sometimes a dozen times in 24 hours.

If you wonder why contractors get so upset with the dispatchers and company that beep them several times a day, think about how you would feel if your school called you several times a day saying, "I'm calling about Trevor." And then think about how you would feel if the news was either meaningless or negative most of the time.

This beep incentive to leave the company was recently confirmed to me in another way. A recruiter from another expediting company that Diane and I recently visited with told us that 75 percent of the incoming calls his department receives now come from FedEx Custom Critical contractors and drivers. The first thing they want to know is how the dispatch system at that company works. They are not asking first about the money. They are asking about the dispatch system.

That's an important message for FedEx Custom Critical people to hear, if anyone is listening.

It's about safety as EASYTRADER correctly suggests. It's also about retention to the extent retention matters to the company.

Last edited:

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
The beeps that bother Diane and me the most are those of repeated load offers, made again and again after we have already declined them once, twice, three times and even more in some cases (the record is nine).

Don't forget about those that repeat and are for the same amount of pay, or less, yes, we've had that happen.

Then the phone rings, on the other end is a dispatcher who has probably never seen the inside of a truck and he/she says to you "that's a good rate".........oh, really?? We want to say.... And when you ran your D unit, was that a good rate??

There are other comments that I can't think of right now off the top of my head but a recent one that a friend endured when they asked for a higher rate was...."you DO know this is expediting don't you"......WHAT??? I mean, it's comments like these from dispatchers that haven't a clue about your business that irks us.

I don't think a dispatcher has any business making ANY comments that reflect their personal opinions. They have no idea how we run our business and it does nothing but promote bad feelings.

Sometimes we've received comments when asked how much we wanted to do a certain run and our response was the same rate that we regularly got over 8 years ago when we started expediting. Makes me wonder if these folks have had a raise within the past 8 years...and have their expenses remained the same??

I could go on and on but you get the picture. None of this that we're discussing does anything to improve business relationships between dispatch and the contractors/drivers.

PS....the first person that responds to my post with the standard "you need to go sit with dispatch for an hour" is going to the hospital with me....they'll be having surgery and I'm going to get my boot:eek:.....just sayin' ;)

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
It's gotten to the point that when we're available for dispatch on C-Link i turn my phone off!! WHAT PART OF NOOOO DON"T YOU UNDERSTAND?

xracer

Seasoned Expediter
First of all I would like to say I have not been at FECC as long as most of you guys but I have been in the trucking industry most my life. But I would like to comment on some of the dumb stuff I have had happen to me since being signed on that really waters me off. 1. When load offers come in five at a time. Most of the time on friday at 7:00 pm and while your trying to choose load, figure rates, look at map to find the city because its a place you haven't heard of and the phone rings and someone at dispatch is asking if your getting the load offers. 2. Sitting most of the day and then you get a load that they want picked up 250 miles away. You run your butt off to get there by the pickup time (quitting time for the shipper) and he says " I told them them (fecc) the load was ready to pickup when I called it in this morning at 8:00 am. 3. When you refuse a load offer cause its so cheep and goes into a bad area and they resend it and add 100 dollars. (are you for sale for a hundred bucks). 4. Your sitting at a truckstop. A fecc driver comes over to chat and says " I won't move my truck for less than 1.25 per mile. A loar offer comes in at 92 cents. Tem mins later you see him pulling out. (liar). 5. You get a load offer over the C-Link and before you get your response sent. (Like 2 mins) later you get a message that the load has been dispatched to another truck. Some times I wonder if I have picked the right company to be with. Like to hear your commetts Thanks and be safe

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I wonder if I have picked the right company to be with. Like to hear your commetts Thanks and be safe

That's a decision only you can make. There is the dumb stuff and there is the money. Being money motivated myself, I would think that the money would have something to do with your decision to stay or leave.

xracer

Seasoned Expediter
Your right. I am staying because of the money. Its about making a living. I also know with very little effort they could make it a little less stressful and a better place to work. Be safe.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
As Leo says, every company has warts , you just have to pick which warts you're willing to live with. Right Im having an issue with inordinate amount of dry runs.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I love this. :)

Well, ya know....Toby Keith was canceled from a July 4th ABC special some years back after Peter Jennings listened to his song and didn't like the lyrics "we'll put a boot in your a**" so I thought it best to route around any controversy!:p:D

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
My wife wakes up in the middle of the night thinking she's just heard a beep. Since I sleep on the lower bunk she gets me up to check and see if there's a message. I've learned to make sure the little red light is visible from a distance.

We find that it's very common for a load "opportunity" to come in while we're delivering or picking up. If we forget to carry the phone out with us, we may well miss the offer. If it's a particularly annoying or difficult pickup or delivery I often just ignore it.

During my recent visit to dispatch (yes, I did it because I saw the suggestion so many times) I learned that the dispatcher can add $100 without any additional approval if there were no takers for the job originally. That's why you see that figure so often when the offer comes back.

This system is not at all helpful to us as drivers/contractors. But then, despite whatever they say about the changes they make being for our benefit, it seldom works out that way.