February in Load 1 Nation

Rick007

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
February.........BLAH! Well it's time to write an ending to this dismal month......then burn the book it's written in, followd by burying it. Never to be spoken of again!! 3215 is outtie! Yeah mon...headed home to FLA. Ya'll be safe now.....:deadhorse:

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
It's cold here. 39 degrees. I'm home. Need some work done on the van (front anti swaybar bushings and links, and some other minor stuff) but the place that's doing it can't get me int he building, so it has to be done old school outside. It's going to be in the 60s next week, tho.

The other day coming out of Los Indios I pulled into the Border Patrol Checkpoint. As I eased up to the Border Dood, another one was taking the dog sniffing around the van. No problem. Border Dood didn't ask me my country of citizenship, which I though was odd.

Border Dood - "Is anyone in the truck with you?"

Me - "No."

He paused for a second, looked back at K-9 Dood, and then turned to me and asked...

"What do you have in the back?"

Me - "I don't know."

Border Dood - "You don't know what you're carrying?"

Me - "It's stuff in boxes shrink wrapped to skids." I pulled out the BOL and said, "I can give you part numbers if you like."

Border Dood - "How do you know the boxes aren't full of drugs?"

Me, pointing towards the rear of the van - "Your dog told me that."

He busted out laughing and told me to have a nice day. :D
You don't have to answer any of the questions but I won't get into it. I don't have the energy right now. But your answer to the drug question was good.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You don't have to answer any of the questions but I won't get into it. I don't have the energy right now. But your answer to the drug question was good.
What I won't get into is the fact that if they did their job at the border in the first place they wouldn't need the interior checkpoints at all.

But I don't mind the "Are you a US citizen?", or "Is anyone else with you?", and "Where are you headed?" questions. They are not intrusive or unreasonable. But when he asked me what I had in the back, my first thought was, "Wow, that's incredibly none of your business." And that's what I almost answered. But I decided to have a little fun with it and went with an "I don't know" and a smile and a little giggle. And it was also the truth.

I'm aware that I don't have to answer any questions put to me. The Supreme Court says the Border Patrol has the right to stop me at the checkpoints for brief questioning, although I'm not required to give any answers. The Border Patrol will not allow you to proceed until they are satisfied that you're in the country legally. And they cannot search the vehicle without a warrant or reasonable suspicion and probable cause that an immigration violation or a crime has been committed. Me not knowing what I'm hauling isn't a crime, nor is it probable cause that one has been committed. One look at me and two questions answered is more than enough to satisfy that I'm in the country legally, so unless the dog hits on the van, they won't have probable cause to search the vehicle.

Several years ago at one of the checkpoints a Border Patrol agent, who looked and sounded like he just came across the border himself, asked me, "Are you a US citizen, sir?"

I replied, "Yeah... Are you?"

He didn't think it was funny at all. Fortunately, one of the other agents did.

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
My first ever checkpoint experience I got my truck searched and an x-ray. A few questions don't bother me much but that was a bit much. Being a new driver I told them that I always thought border checkpoints were on the border. They didn't think I was funny, I wasn't trying to be. That was the one north of Brownville.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My first ever checkpoint experience I got my truck searched and an x-ray. A few questions don't bother me much but that was a bit much. Being a new driver I told them that I always thought border checkpoints were on the border. They didn't think I was funny, I wasn't trying to be. That was the one north of Brownville.
You're pretty sketchy looking though.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well this weekend is supposed to see a warm up. I have buddies going to Denver for the outdoor Red Wings game. 73 there tomorrow????????

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Ok rolled up the rim again....didnt win.

But on a good note load volumes seem to be trending in the right direction. Historical charts show if we follow the last 5 years trend should see a slow steady climb. Almost seems to be following 2013, and 2014 charts. Although expedite rates seem under greater pressure. Not sure if the amount of equipment in the market changed that much or if fuel is playing the big effect.

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks John for the opportunity to grow with you for the 5 1/2 years that I was there. Nothing but good things to say about Load1. I wish you guys the best and all of my fellow drivers at Load 1! On to a new adventure! See y'all on the Road!!!

Reactions: boonsdad

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well this weekend is supposed to see a warm up. I have buddies going to Denver for the outdoor Red Wings game. 73 there tomorrow????????

I'm not a big hockey fan, but I do find this rather intriguing to watch. Maybe because it has more of a football stadium feel :p

However, I have enough trouble following the puck on TV, I couldn't imagine trying to watch it there :eek:

hockey.jpg

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
They wanted me to go with them as I have season tickets and that is exactly what I thought...I would never follow the puck!

Reactions: RoadTime

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Here at the office for the weekend. Turn in paperwork and washing clothes ect. When to Meijers today and bought a 3M command brush nickel hook for the shower room to hang there towel while they shower.. Let's see how long this thing will last?

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Here at the office for the weekend. Turn in paperwork and washing clothes ect. When to Meijers today and bought a 3M command brush nickel hook for the shower room to hang there towel while they shower.. Let's see how long this thing will last?

You know I forgot that one hook had disappeared. Let me see about getting a new one.

Reactions: DollarSign