Favorite Fishin

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Anyone have a favorite fishing lake they go to? I always find the private ponds and stripper cuts are the best for bass and crappie. Being a resident of Florida, but mainly staying in Ohio I have to purchase an out-of-state fishing liscense to fish public lakes in Ohio. It also would be nice if they had some sort of national fishing liscence that you could purchase instead of one for every state you go to.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Many states have one day or 3 day etc fishing licenses. They normally do not cost very much. Very good for our way of life. Layoutshooter

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Where do you fish in Ohio? Ever fish Cold Creek for trout? Layoutshooter
There is a paylake off of U.S. route 62 between Alliance, OH and Salem, OH called Westville Lake. In the summer they have catfish tournaments and they have stocked bass, pike, walleye, and channel cat. They only charge 2$ per day to fish and it is a decent sized lake. I never heard of Cold Creek where is it in Ohio? U should also try Rainbow Lakes right near Franklin Square Oh. They stock it with trout and open around the 1st week in April. I believe they are 6$ for adults. The Salem Reservoir is also good for Walleye and Bass it's south of Salem, Ohio off of Teegarden and Gamble Rd. you have to pay for that one and it's 5$ for all day. You can also rent a boat with a motor, but not sure about the price. I think it's 15$ for day.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Cold Creek is near Sandusky, it runs into Lake Erie. The stretch of water between the waterfall and the Lake is only about 800 yards long. It is a spring that is only about 8 miles long from where it rises to the Lake. It stays around 45 degrees all year around. Nice 3-5 trout with steelhead in the spring and fall. They get muskie and pike up in the spring during the spawn. See the link below.

I will have to look into pay lakes some day. I have often wanted to go into one but have never figured out where to put the truck. It would be nice to find one where you could "camp" next to the water for a long weekend.

Layoutshooter

Trout Fishing along the banks of Cold Creek, Sandusky, Ohio

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Light steelhead tackle works best there. I use a 9' rod that is rated for 4-8lb line. I fish a 6lb main line with a 4lb fluorocarbon leaders. Layoutshooter

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
By far my fav area is the Waterloo recreation area for everyday fishing,,,Not far at all outside of the Detroit area if your stuck there...
Lots of lakes to choose from..
Portage lake,,,Nice pike fishing Some nice jumbo perch..esp thru the ice..Improved boat ramp,,
Welch lake: Great blu-gills,,,huge crappies,,nice bass..boat ramp is a 2 track,,Dont recommend bringing anything over 17 ft here unless ya have lots of help to load and unload boat.

Clark lake,,wolf lake,,vineyard lake,,wamplers lake all south of the Waterloo area have great fishing also

Also over in the Grass lake area,,Lots of fishing on the chain of lakes starting in Michigan center and working your way out thru the connecting lakes..Good boat ramps,,Great boat ride ride,But has 2 tubes going under road ways we get 18 ft duck boat (Flat bottom) thru it as long as you dont have high canopy or windshield most smaller fishing boats can run this hole chain of lakes..
Coldwater area off US12 has a nice chain of lakes also,,,Good boat ramps,,great boat ride First lake is great for trolling,,all other lakes off most pan fish in good numbers..Plus this chain of lake lakes offer something up every fourth of July weekend..Not for kids tho..ya gotta ride around but you will have to find it...Its a floating party where no tops are allowed :eek: :eek:

Since I will be warehousing freight on my truck till tuseday we will be on the Saginaw river,,, and the just off the edge of the Hot ponds @ the mouth of the river on the Saginaw Bay all this weekend

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How are the Walleye doin there? Lake Erie and the Detroit River are slow this year and next. 2011 and 2012 will be HUGE years on Lake Erie and the Detroit River for walleye, barring any disasters.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
How are the Walleye doin there? Lake Erie and the Detroit River are slow this year and next. 2011 and 2012 will be HUGE years on Lake Erie and the Detroit River for walleye, barring any disasters.

We pull a fair amount out the river,,mostly thru the ice..
Here is the only article I read on the Shiver on the River event this year..
Walleye thriving and so is Freeland weekend tournamen

this pass weekend wasn't to good,,A few,, but we spent most of the time avoiding the Larger boats as this was their first big weekend out and they seemed to throw courtesy out the window like the the 4 wheelers do..Our lil boats just couldn't compete with em along with all the wind...
Did good on the cats along the hot ponds tho....

Last edited:

60MPH

Expert Expediter
I prefer trout fishing but I do fish for small mouths and crappie to along with assorted panfish. There is a nice pay pond 2 miles south of exit 22 on I-68 in MD. its like 5.00 a day and they stock it with alittle bit of everything they also have 6 wheeler parking out front "vans can drive all the way around the lake and park and fish anywhere". they also have john boat rental. Also at the same exit there is a Pilot and a independent TS to park at. On the south side of the interstate is a small store that sells License and live bait they also have a small supply of tackle. If you are a big trout fisherman there are plenty of state parks in this area and they are very clean and not busy. FYI if you are in MD. and you think that the lake/river you are fishing in has trout in it YOU BETTER HAVE A TROUT STAMP!!. The DNR does not play games with there precise trout, or bears for that fact, but that is another story:eek: