FAST

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
I assume you are inquiring about a criminal records check...
I am not cetain exactly how far back they check. I believe that they simply run a criminal check on you. I had one applicant that was arrested over 25 years ago... they found that record and denied to clear him.
I don't believe that there is any cutoff on the records checking. Obiously I could be wrong, but when a criminal record is executed the requester does not have the ability to check a certain number of years.
If you have a record, the probablilites of it being overlooked are slim to none.

hoppy919

Expert Expediter
I don't have a "criminal" offense in the USA. I did have a DUI in OH in 77 and 83. At that time my license were not suspended because they were more that five years apart. I got an OUI in 93 in VA. My license was not suspended because I was driving on a KY lisence. But my right to drive in VA was restricted. I have not had any other infractions since. Those are not criminal offenses in the USA, but if I remenber reading in a post here somewhere they would be considered criminal offenses in Canada. Is that correct?

Also I read on CIC Fast Webpage you could apply for a "rehabilation kits." Anyone have info on doing this before?

Thanks

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I won't bore you with all the gory details, but...
On the application, where it asks if you have EVER been convicted of
anything... they mean it!

hdl

Expert Expediter
>What about arrested but not convicted. From many many moons
>ago

If it was many "moons" ago there may be a good chance the available records on not complete. Will have to show the disposition of the case.

hoppy919

Expert Expediter
RobA,

You are correct: I do have a criminal record by Canadian law. I haven't had any infractions since 92. I'm not trying to make light of previous misdeeds. I was guilty. I haven't gone to rehab or joined AA. I just quit.

Maybe no one will hire me to drive a commercial vehicle. My previous work history is solid. I just retired from Verizon with 25 years of service. I just wanted to get out of an office setting. Maybe I should have checked into this before I retired (I'm only 50). I can always weld.

Be that as it may. I did contact the CBSA today and requested a rehab kit. I also contacted Lucy Perillo w/Canadian Border Crossing Services today and am awaiting her call back.

Again RobA, I am not trying to make light of my previous misdeeds just seeking answers for the ramifications of them.

Thank you,

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Let me break the news to you gently;
You DO have a criminal record in the view of the Canadian law.
Impaired Driving is a Criminal Code offense here.
You have TWO convictions?
Or is it 3?
You can apply for the Rehabilitation but you would likely have to demonstrate that you are trying to fix your problem.
Have you gone into rehab?
Joined AA?

Who is going to hire you to drive a Commercial Vehicle with that sort of record?

You can try for a FAST card and Good Luck to you.

>I don't have a "criminal" offense in the USA. I did have a
>DUI in OH in 77 and 83. At that time my license were not
>suspended because they were more that five years apart. I
>got an OUI in 93 in VA. My license was not suspended because
>I was driving on a KY lisence. But my right to drive in VA
>was restricted. I have not had any other infractions since.
>Those are not criminal offenses in the USA, but if I
>remenber reading in a post here somewhere they would be
>considered criminal offenses in Canada. Is that correct?
>
>Also I read on CIC Fast Webpage you could apply for a
>"rehabilation kits." Anyone have info on doing this before?
>
>Thanks

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Very simple, Hoppy... If you still want the thrill of expediting, but can't go to Canada, go with a company who doesn't require you to go. There are a few out there. Express-1 comes to mind.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
I have known several folks near age 50 that have run into trouble getting into Canada based on their JUVENILE record. The Canadian authorities are thorough to say the least. Something else to keep in mind.....How many of you have heard that "juvenile records are sealed when you turn 18"? Well they don't seem very sealed to me. And....regardless of rehabilitation, multiple alcohol related offenses will be a big red flag to most companies. I know that they would be at my company. Our insurance company would just not let us qualify that kind of record. - X

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Driving Record .....was .....RE: FAST

And....regardless of
>rehabilitation, multiple alcohol related offenses will be a
>big red flag to most companies. I know that they would be at
>my company. Our insurance company would just not let us
>qualify that kind of record. - X

That was the point I was trying to make.
Thank you.

creekindian33

Expert Expediter
generly 10 years 20 is better or u can hire a lawer out of canada here name is luicy ur job probly knowes who she is she can get u this pass but u need to make sure she gives u in writing a guarentee when u pay here which by the way is a thousand dollars:7