Fan Clutch on a dt530

guido4475

Not a Member
How can you diagnose if your fan clutch is leaking air or not?

As with any kind of air leak, put some Dawn dish washing liquid in a spray bottle with water and spray the area believed to be leaking with air and see if you see any bubbles....and there's the leak!

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
I tried the dish liquid method over and over but the fan hub isn't that easy to check that way because everything is hidden from view and I can't hear air escaping either...the air loss will also happen when the ignition is turned on without the engine running and this only happens on the #2 air system.

It seems that when the fan engages for either the AC or to cool the engine the air leak stops until it disengages.

Thanks

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I tried the dish liquid method over and over but the fan hub isn't that easy to check that way because everything is hidden from view and I can't hear air escaping either...the air loss will also happen when the ignition is turned on without the engine running and this only happens on the #2 air system.

It seems that when the fan engages for either the AC or to cool the engine the air leak stops until it disengages.

Thanks

if its like my fan clutch its a horton brand, the swivel fitting that supplies the air more than likely is the cause, pain in the butt to change, and its like 200.00 for the part

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
tknight you hit the head right on the nail......went ahead and replaced the whole unit...with almost a million miles I decided to replace it...I hear the O-rings inside also tend to fail over a long period of time...thanks for the come-back!