Extra battery

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Something like that?

View attachment 18911

Wait, now I’m confused. (as if that wasn’t already obvious)

You don’t connect the batteries positive to positive, etc. You separate them?

Then what’s the cut off switch for? To prevent the alternator from charging, or to prevent drain from the starter battery, or both a and b?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To prevent the alternator from charging
Now I'm confused :p

In my case, the disconnect is simply to stop a laser printer load from frying the stock wiring.

It runs off the thick cabling from my batteries to inverter well enough, but if I remember right, you take the ac load in amps on your appliances and multiply by 10 for the DC load (laser printers suck juice)

Also, I just remembered summer (is it ever coming?) I disconnect so I don't have a dead starter battery in 18 hours (fantastic fans, low draw but eventually drains after a few days)

Yeah, ntimes advice is good. I know my battery bank can make a great light show when you hit the wrong thingy

Reactions: Solar and ntimevan

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I think the best way to go is lithium. A lot more expensive than agm or regular deep cycle batteries, but like 4 times lighter for same AH, a 300ah bank weighs 60lb, can be discharged to 100% although some say 80%, versus deep cycle where you cant go past 50% without hurting your batteries life, meaning if you wanted 300ah of power you need a 600ah bank, lasts 5 times longer overall cycles, doesnt need to be fully charged. Absolutely no harmful byproducts or maintenance.

If you are thinking expediting or just rv type :censoredsign: is something for the long haul for you, id look up the difference between lithium and agm for yourself.

Reactions: dalscott

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lithium is great. Not as expensive if you buy the cells and package the bank yourself, but it takes some technical know how

Debatable how worth it lithium is...a better purchase would be a good generator, if you already have that, by all means (lithium or agm when its dead its dead, generator, just add gas)

Without having air conditioning when parked, my cheap hybrid walmarts are still holding a charge for my use in year 4...

Reactions: ntimevan

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lithium is great. Not as expensive if you buy the cells and package the bank yourself, but it takes some technical know how

Debatable how worth it lithium is...a better purchase would be a good generator, if you already have that, by all means (lithium or agm when its dead its dead, generator, just add gas)

Without having air conditioning when parked, my cheap hybrid walmarts are still holding a charge for my use in year 4...
Canadian AC .. .image_search_1557957808947.jpeg

" LOAD 1 "

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching

I think ill look into how one does that. I know theres a huge difference in price between name brand ones like Battleborn and just a no name on ebay for the same AH size. Like 3 or 4 times as much. If you can just make them then it may be a better value to get the cheap ones.

Either way you need a generator if you wanna run a.c.....which i really wish there was a way around. Unless you just had a gigantic battery bank and a really low wattage ac unit.

Compa

Rookie Expediter
Researching
I think the best way to go is lithium. A lot more expensive than agm or regular deep cycle batteries, but like 4 times lighter for same AH, a 300ah bank weighs 60lb, can be discharged to 100% although some say 80%, versus deep cycle where you cant go past 50% without hurting your batteries life, meaning if you wanted 300ah of power you need a 600ah bank, lasts 5 times longer overall cycles, doesnt need to be fully charged. Absolutely no harmful byproducts or maintenance.

If you are thinking expediting or just rv type :censoredsign: is something for the long haul for you, id look up the difference between lithium and agm for yourself.
One important point to make with lithium is that they will not charge at freezing temps. They must be above freezing to charge. Also there isn't a fume issue that you could have with some lead-acid types. Most lithium batteries have a built-in limiter that shuts them down when they reach 10% remaining. They also can take a charge faster but that isn't usually a concern.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Anytime they would be charging it would mean you were most likely inside the van so you probably wont have it below freezing in there but worth pointing out. If you are out of the van for a period of time like at home and its cold its probably best to take in the house. I think i saw if they get to negative 6f they are destroyed also. Some brands will have a built in heater that will turn on below a certain temp.

Charging faster is a huge plus if you are sitting not so much if you are running well. If you need to recharge a decent sized lithium bank with a proper alternator to battery charger you can do it by just idling your engine for 2 to 4 hours. And since you dont need to fully charge without wasting potential energy space in a cycle like agm you could break that time up.