Extended gas tank for Generators

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Running a 2000 generator is nice but under powerload for AC or Electric Heater your looking at 4 to 5 hours before refilling gas tank ... you can buy the setup at Northern tool (for honda 2000) at around $ 140... but i like many on E O like to save money and do it ourselfs ... enclosed is my cost of products plus pictures of fininshed product ... this is just to help others on EO and not perfect .. also if needed move it to different section

3 gal. Marine tank with vented cap ..Walmart $ 40... me .. garage sale (new never used) $ 5.00

5 foot yellow clear gas line (auto zone) flexable in Cold temps $ 15.00
Briggs & Str . fuel line shutoff $ 6.00
1/4 inch brass air hose connections with clamps .. $ 10.00
New spare generator gas cap (optional) ordered from Sears .. you need your model number & part number ... delivered to your door ..7 to 10 days .. $ 24.00

My total $60.00 ... example as yours may very on variations ..
9efa2aaf1e9039d0e8c5f008e60f5522.jpg
38013c2306d1ce995b97576f31f1e2cf.jpg
1f249acafffc6ce746af0656781542b2.jpg
0e6b3dc5d160428c5481ef9542db2914.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900M using EO Forums mobile app

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great post! For those who aren't comfortable with diy, you should ba able to find it on ebay for around 100 bucks.

Reactions: ntimevan

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great post! For those who aren't comfortable with diy, you should ba able to find it on ebay for around 100 bucks.
I just didn't like the black fuel lines on the premade setups ... stiff in cold temps and mine i can see clear gas flow ... but like i said i just posted it for info for EO members ..

Reactions: in-Transit

schwanman

Expert Expediter
Has anyone hooked up a line to their fuel tank? (Gas van) Like the espar is. Could it be done? Mounting line and connecter to van. And then mobile connector to generator?

Reactions: APMECHANIC

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Has anyone hooked up a line to their fuel tank? (Gas van) Like the espar is. Could it be done? Mounting line and connecter to van. And then mobile connector to generator?

I'm sure it could be done as long as your generator has a fuel pump that will draw the fuel through the lines. Just need quick connect fittings like they use for outboard motors.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm sure it could be done as long as your generator has a fuel pump that will draw the fuel through the lines. Just need quick connect fittings like they use for outboard motors.

Do you have any pics of your under mounted generator?

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No need for a priming bulb in the line?
No priming bulb needed on mine ..my generator like the honda 2000 has a fuel pump ... extended tank therefore needs a adjustable vent gas cap as generator will suck the gas into it ... but the bulb could be added if operator chose that option
2248d155f93c1149655ce9216d881ffd.jpg

Reactions: Moot

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you have any pics of your under mounted generator?

Got a couple. If you need more I'll crawl under it next time I'm home. It's behind the rear axle and ahead of the spare tire. It's runs off the vehicle fuel tank, has a start/hour meter control inside and I have a box that switches automatically to shore power if I plug the van in while home or at a campground. Edit: The first picture is when new. The second picture you'll see that the fuel line is hooked up, the brackets are getting rusty and I added an angled support to prevent it from swinging front to back.
d361f7513cdb4e14f8216cbff630b474.jpg
75744002a538ba69833bc39d341b1f4f.jpg

Last edited:

robin280

Seasoned Expediter
I have a high roof, extended length 2016 Ford Transit 250. I want a rooftop A/C, but I don't want to carry a generator in front or in back or inside. I had heard of this set-up, but never seen it. Thanks for the pics. How long have you had it and how does it stand up to riding beneath the vehicle with all the stuff that blows around while driving? Also, I'm not a DYI person. Do you know what type of place would install this? Do you think Camping World would do the A/C and the under- mounted generator?

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a high roof, extended length 2016 Ford Transit 250. I want a rooftop A/C, but I don't want to carry a generator in front or in back or inside. I had heard of this set-up, but never seen it. Thanks for the pics. How long have you had it and how does it stand up to riding beneath the vehicle with all the stuff that blows around while driving? Also, I'm not a DYI person. Do you know what type of place would install this? Do you think Camping World would do the A/C and the under- mounted generator?
I think you just answered your question.