Extended Automotive Warranties

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I met an expediter today with a 2010 Chevy Express. He claimed to have a 5 year bumper to bumper, no mileage limit, free towing with a $100 deductible through Chrysler. Initial cost was $1000. He explained that it was much better deal than other extended warranties because it was offered directly from the manufacturer, no middle man.

I pointed out that he had a GM product. He told me Chrysler has owned GM since the bailout. That's when I said I needed to be getting on down the road and left.

Has anyone heard of such a warranty like this offered by GM, Chrysler or Ford or did this guy suckered. I used to get calls from companies selling extended warranties for my Chevy. I would feign interest and let them go with their pitch. When they asked the mileage of my van, I would give an honest answer like 390,000 miles. That usually concluded the conversation.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
When I bought my E350 I paid $1200 for a 4 unlimited mileage warranty through a 3rd party. I believe Chrysler may just be in the warranty business.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't be sure, but-- I have a baaaaadddd feeling about these warranties. Gut instinct says not to trust them.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
Bought a Bumper to bumper Maint. warranty on our new Ford Flex which is from Ford themselves which covers oil changes, tire rotations and just about everything else til 2019 but I think there's mileage limitations....we're never home much so I'm not worried about the mileage.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I can't be sure, but-- I have a baaaaadddd feeling about these warranties. Gut instinct says not to trust them.

I put almost 60k miles on my van in a little less than a year and ended up with $1700 in work over 3 trips to the shop. Each trip to the shop requires a $100 deductible so I am ahead $200 on them and they haven't given me any problems.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
I bought a new Challenger this year and purchased the lifetime warranty with it. The warranty was just over $2000, but no matter what goes wrong with the car for the entire time I own it, Dodge will repair the car for only a $100 copay. I intend to keep this car a very long time.