Express Family of Companies

Pakrat

Seasoned Expediter
Anyone out there driving for them? New to expediting and looking at them, LRT and Prestige. Any advice on these three companines would be appreciated. Gonna be renting a Sprinter and heading out 1st of May. Looking forward to getting on the road.

Pakrat

350rocket

Active Expediter
I saw an ad on craigslist for express family of companies and responded to it. I am leary of this company. It has nothing on
the internet about it(other than this particular thread) and
the company's website. If you check 411.com you'll find their
"field" number is a cellphone, and the "office" number is unpublished. They have a very professional looking website. They also want you to pay $27.50 for a "background" check.
I'd say they're either a new scam trying to get your personal info and make some money at the same time or they're just a
new company starting in someone's house(the main addess
appears to be in a residential area next to a golf course-see
google or yahoo maps or mapquest). I may go to the address
they have listed in erie, pa. to see what it actually is, since I
don't live too far away.

Prestige is legit. I don't know about the other one.

Pakrat

Seasoned Expediter
I ended up signing on with them. Just now getting back into their freight lanes so I haven't done a load yet. The bg check is a requirement for some of their customers if I understand correctly. Supposedly haul a lot of train parts and stuff for General Electric. Home office is in Naples FL. They have a call center I think in Erie. Also something in Indianapolis I think. Lmk what you think about Erie if you get by there. I'll reply when I haul a load or two for them.....hopefully I didn't waste my money!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I have already hauled a few loads for them. They are as legit as any professional carrier can be. My contracted rate for cargo van is 85 CPM, but a lot of times I can get extra money out of them for deadhead miles, or at least up to 95 cents to a dollar a mile on runs that are going into bad areas. You just gotta ask them sometimes. The background check is just to make sure you do not have any criminal record, so that is also legit. The best thing about this company is that if you deliver a load on Saturday, and then fax in your paperwork by Monday afternoon, you will be paid promptly on Wednesday.

One time I faxed my paperwork in on a Thursday (a few days late) and they direct deposited my account the same day. With this company you will never have to worry about getting paid, your pay sheets are accessible on the internet, and the pay always matches what they tell you when the load is originally offered to you.

The only down side to them is they will call you for work when you are out of service (if they have no trucks to cover the load) I have mostly benefitted from this. Like if a load needs to go straight through and you are sleeping, they will ask you to go pick the load up and then build enough time into the load for you to get some sleep before you start moving on it. This is fine at times, but if i'm taking a week off at home, I don't think it is professional for a company to call me with load offers when i'm not ready to get in my truck and roll.

I had the same problem when I was working for Bolt Express. This makes me feel unrespected, especially when you find out the load came from a bid board and not necessarily a regular call in customer. Other than that little wart, this company is a keeper in my book! If you are thinking about signing on with this company, do so woth confidence. I've been in this business for over 4 years now, and I can tell you i'd recommend this company to anyone!

Pakrat

Seasoned Expediter
Blizzard, where are their "hot spots"? I still have yet to haul a load for them! In mobile right now. Been here for two days. Do you see more action with them farther north? Going home to Nw AR this weekend regardless. Prob head to KC early Monday and see what happens. Thanks for the info!

hollywood

Active Expediter
hi, I have to saw the ad on craigslist... I meet all the qualifications and have spoke to a woman by the name of Dana Kluz... patrict always answers the phone.. the woman sounded really nice, but... wants to do everything electronically( big red flag).... I am going by corbin ky in a few days and look at thier facility there and if possible talk to someone there. I would like this job its sounds perfect for me and I dont need fulltime work...just looking for part time... I also tried the Better Business Bureau in Naples florida and they do not list this company...to them it does not exist... (red flag?) so I would be very interested in hearing more about your experience with them... I am located near corbin.... how about you?

Pakrat

Seasoned Expediter
I'm giving up on them. 4 weeks now and still haven't hauled a load for them. Giving up on the other two also. Not paying the bills. Signing on with Barrett tues. Couple of buds doing well with them.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm giving up on them. 4 weeks now and still haven't hauled a load for them. Giving up on the other two also. Not paying the bills. Signing on with Barrett tues. Couple of buds doing well with them.

Did they know you were signed on with them? :confused:

Pakrat

Seasoned Expediter
Lol. Yup. Talk to them every day. I'm confused too. Been in Atlanta, Dallas, Laredo, el paso, mobile, KC, and nothing from them. Been sitting in Minneapolis for 3 days now. Fixin to dh home and get my van cleaned up ready to sticker tues.

Pakrat

Seasoned Expediter
Barrett Directline out of bentonville AR. Just another exp co but the two guys I know that work there are staying busy.

"Let's Roll"

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Barrett Directline out of bentonville AR. Just another exp co but the two guys I know that work there are staying busy.

"Let's Roll"

Great little outfit! Steve Barrett and his wife Kim are great people and have an outstanding business relationship with Load One. They are solid, have great integrity, very charitable and one of our companies preferred trading partners. I think you will be really happy with your choice.

Pakrat

Seasoned Expediter
That's what I've heard. Seems like a standup company. I'm crossing my fingers they will keep me busy. I've been doing this a month now and have averaged prob 5-800 miles a week working for 3 companies. The guys I know working there are puttine in 2-3k miles per week. It seems from what I hear too, that the dispatchers there are pretty knowledgeable and respectful. It seems they stay on top of stuff pretty well. We'll see. I'm getting my van stickered on Tues and hope to be rolling Wed-Fri.

yevhenlysyy2

Active Expediter
Hey there, I have the same problem with loads. Have been working for two companies including Express Family. For las two weeks I had only one load from them.
If you could please give me a phone number to Barrett. Thank you in advance:)

Pakrat

Seasoned Expediter
Hey there, I have the same problem with loads. Have been working for two companies including Express Family. For las two weeks I had only one load from them.
If you could please give me a phone number to Barrett. Thank you in advance:)

Sorry! I just realized I never posted the number...1 (877) 271-9360. So far, they have been running me pretty good.

mikejohn72

Seasoned Expediter

Barrett is a very good company you can't go wrong with them!

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Why are you moving all over the u.s but not hauling freight? Something doesn't add up.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Lol. Yup. Talk to them every day. I'm confused too. Been in Atlanta, Dallas, Laredo, el paso, mobile, KC, and nothing from them. Been sitting in Minneapolis for 3 days now. Fixin to dh home and get my van cleaned up ready to sticker tues.

Well, other than Atlanta, everywhere you've mentioned is the boonies for expecting, at least for getting out of. There just isn't much freight originating from those places for anyone.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

Pakrat

Seasoned Expediter
BigCat-I was hauling freight, just nothing for Express. Actually hauled a load for them AFTER I dropped them and signed on w Barrett.

AMonger-with the exception of Mobile, I've been to all of those numerous times with Barrett and have been loaded out every time within 24 hours.

I'm happy as can be with Barrett. We have a lot of dedicated customers and good relationships with the other carriers. They also won't sign on more drivers than they can keep busy. This was supposed to be a slow week but by the time I get home Friday I'll have 2800 miles in. Pays my bills. A lot of luck and the fact that I rarely turn down a load keeps me running. Some guys turn down the shorter runs. Not me. I did one for 1 mile. Dropped off about 5pm and parked at wallyworld. Dispatch called at about 9pm with the load. 8 miles to pu, 1 mile to the airport, 8 miles back. 275$. Wish I could get some more like that!