Expo questions from a FNG

phoenix827

New Recruit
Researching
Hey all, new guy here. I still got the new guy smell! :) I've got about 15 years and over a million miles under my belt accident and ticket free, (that and $5 gets me a coffee right?) Everything from local rent a center delivery to regional work for an insulation wholesaler. All vans and straight trucks, no CDL. (still don't have it.
I got off the road a little over 10 years ago and located and marked underground utilities since then. about 30k a year in pickups and cars. still no tickets, no at-fault accidents. Well, in February I got an eye opener that being in a car all the time, in good sized cities and dealing up close and personal with idiot drivers was not for me any more. (also a new company that was a complete cluster in my opinion). My boss and I decided to part ways. (good terms, he was sad to lose me) As there are only 2 locate companies in this area, (and they just became one 2 weeks ago) I have been out of work since.
I started looking back at driving again, went for a road test with one company and realized (once the rust fell off of me) just how much I missed being on the road. I tried tractor trailer years ago, I can do it, my trainer was real happy with me, but I realized it was more than I wanted. I couldn't relax and get comfortable like I was in a straight truck. I noticed that my patience in a truck is a LOT better than in a car. (was always fine before too)
Well, I started looking around, and found that the Expedited industry I had looked at years ago has taken off. I had looked into it a little years ago, but everything I found seemed like it was unstable at best. Not Now!! I am located in CT now, and getting out as soon as possible, Planning on the Lynchburg/Roanoke area in Virginia. Now that I have gone through all that. I am trying to figure out if it is worth it to get out to the Expo. It's just over 1700 miles round trip, a bit of that is running up to see my sister in Ohio, but it only adds a few miles. Unemployment barely covers the bills, our jeep is in decent shape, but still only gets 15-17 mpg on the highway, (at best) so fuel alone is pushing $275. Hotel, I think I found a work around, camp in a 12' rental truck for about $100 or stay a ways away for about $150 in a hotel. Either is fine with me. So cost will be a bit under $500 without food at a minimum. I would figure $650-700 just to be safe.
Now that I put you to sleep with my story, to be blunt, is this expo worth borrowing the money for the trip? I get that there will be a lot of info, contacts etc there, I just need to convince the wife. :) She is considering it at least so that's a good thing. If I can get into this it will just be me as a company driver. At least for now. Going to O/O is a possibility down the road, but I know not to plan on it now.
I know this was a lot, Hopefully I didn't lose you. :) I am just looking for advice and looks like this is the place.
Thanks everyone!
Chris

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just keep im mind, there are no company drivers in expedite. You are either on o/o or you are contracted to a fleet owner as an independent contractor.

phoenix827

New Recruit
Researching
Ahh! So 1099 not w2? Ok, my daughter is a math major. :) So no matter what it is keeping an eye on the penny's more than as just a driver. I think I can do that. I had to keep track of everything expense related before.

Reactions: Ragman

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anyone else?
Although I'm sure it would be a good experience, borrowing money to go to the Expo would not me top on my list. Since you want to drive for a owner, I would be calling potential carrier recruiters (from this site for starters) about opportunities. They can provide you with information and put you in contact with owners seeking drivers.
If you do embark on this journey, save your cash, you will need it

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I 100% agree with Roadtime.
I very successfully expedited for 10 years without once attending an expo.
There’s a value to going.
If you were nearby, definitely.
It’ll probably be more valuable after you’ve got a few years experience.
You’ll have better questions, you’ll be able to separate fact from fiction. If

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I agree wholeheartedly with RoadTime. The Expo is very kewl, lots of fun, and chock full of information. But most of that information is geared towards fleet owners and owner/operators, and advancing the knowledge of those who already know at least a little bit about what expediting is all about. You're likely to be overwhelmed, because you don't know enough about things to ask the right questions. That's not in and of itself necessarily a bad thing, but I wouldn't recommend borrowing money and driving 1700 miles to be so overwhelmed as to not get much out of it.

If you can learn a bit and get on with a fleet owner now, you're more likely to be closer to the Expo next year, where you'll get more out of it.

phoenix827

New Recruit
Researching
Since you want to drive for a owner, I would be calling potential carrier recruiters (from this site for starters) about opportunities. They can provide you with information and put you in contact with owners seeking drivers
Makes sense to me! I have reached out to a couple already, but no response yet.
If you do embark on this journey, save your cash, you will need it
Well THIS makes me feel good! :)
How to make a million bucks? Start with 2 million. Sorta like this I bet. :)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Expediting is a career, just like mechanic, carpenter, accountant, paralegal and others. All of them need LOTS of education and training and experience to be any good. For expediting it's a combination. You should read back at least 3 years in these forums in the general, newbies and recruiter sections. Every single word of every single thread title.

For those threads that sound even remotely educational or informative or applicable to you then you should read every single word of every single post. You will read a fair amount of useless blathering but you will read a lot of useful information. You'll learn enough to know how much you don't know about this very unique niche of trucking. You'll also learn enough to have a lot of good questions.

After you finish the 3 years minimum of forum information then begin looking for a good and reputable fleet owner to drive for. They're out there but so are many you want nothing to do with. If they aren't offering a 60/40 split with 100% of the fsc going to the 60 side don't even bother talking to them unless they are offering more then 60 if you choose that side of the split or more than 40 if you choose that side of the split.

There's TONS more you need to know but I'm too lazy to go into any more. Besides, that's what the proper education from reading back at least 3 years in the 3 forums is for.