Expediting or Tractor local in Fl.?

rickmgtp

Seasoned Expediter
Im allready leaning towards not getting back into the owner operator industry so all I need is some confirmation on my doubts. I live in Florida and I want to stay in Florida. I know my question has several technical dificulties in answering but if you can give me your advice on if it is practical to stay local in Florida as an expeditor or should I purchase a tractor and stay local? My cousin has own authority and wants me to haul for him. Thank you very much for your kindness. If you need some more specifics let me know.

broker

Seasoned Expediter
I'm a newbee to expedite but do live in Florida and have driven T/T, O/O cross country for 37 years.
I will first give the same advice I would tell anyone, no matter where they live. If you are going into Expediting for anyother reason than you will love what you will be doing, don't do it.
I have found if you have T/T experience, forget everything you know about trucking, this is a whole new ballgame.
Get all the facts about this industry and then decide, will you have just as much passion for Expediting, as you did for T/T?

As for living in Florida. Maybe you haven't lived there very long but I don't ever remember seeing a lot of Expediting trucks around the Florida truck stops.

I would do this. Not sure where in Florida you live but hang around one of the Truck Stops in the Tampa area. When you do find the lone wolf Expeditor, ask him/her.

Now if I'm way off base, one of the seasoned Expeditors will set you straight.
My wife and I are going to relocate just for this reason, too far away from the action.
"BIG" John

By the way, I had an email wanting to know the "BIG" John handle. My shoe size is 15, it has to do with my "BIG" feet.:eek:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Talk to Jefferson3000. He was doing what you're proposing, before he got his interstate authority. I know that his customer base took a lot of research and legwork to get.

rickmgtp

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks guys ,you kinda of confirmed what I was thinking. Now If I can only get in touch with this 3000 fella Ill be even better. Theres a guy on this forum, goes by the name Florida something who seems to be doing good just in Florida,I would like to talk to him also. I know theres a lot of flat bed local in Florida thats why Im leaning towards a tractor and running underneath my cousins authority but he has his doubts about how much these loads are paying and if I can make enough money to make a living. I may have to run out of Florida more then I want to to make enough money to pay for my truck payment and everything else that goes with the company, thats why Im having second thoughts about the whole thing, it seems like its a gamble. I know there are a lot of variables and things need to be weighed out carefuly, Ive learned that first hand from being a O/O. Any more info would be appreciated very much.

rickmgtp

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the replys. Anybod have any infornation about a company called Great Wide out of Winter Haven Florida?

jtatransport

Seasoned Expediter
I would just get the tractor and lease on to your cousin.
then I would have your cousin contact panther and all the other expediters and set up as an outside carrier.
they will let him bid on the loads they have.the rates will be better than what they pay the owner/ops that lease on and you will be open to other work than just what they offer

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Lately I've been seeing a lot of Great Wide equipment,but I know nothing about the company.As far as expedite freight in FL,very little,it happens,but not often,we do get loads into just not many out of.I have hauled loads out of Jville,Miami,Orlando And Tampa areas,but when I take a load to Fl,Ive already planned on doing a dead head to Atlanta

gojack

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the replys. Anybod have any infornation about a company called Great Wide out of Winter Haven Florida?

Greatwide Logistic Services Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy in the District of Delaware

Background on Greatwide

Greatwide Logistic Services, the largest non-asset based trucking company in the United States, filed a petition for chapter 11 bankruptcy in Delaware on October 20, 2008. By “non-asset based,” Greatwide operates a network of 6,000 independent contractor owner-operators and approximately 20,000 independent third-party carriers. Located in Dallas, Texas, Greatwide provides four primary services: trucking, back-office management to agents who source freight shipments, freight brokers who arrange shipping for customers, and distribution logistics. Trucking and other transportation services generate over 50% of Greatwide’s annual revenue.

Why Greatwide Filed for Bankruptcy

Several factors contributed to Greatwide’s need to file for bankruptcy, increased fuel costs being at the top of the list. Besides the higher cost of fuel, Greatwide’s revenues also suffered due to a significant decline in freight shipments. Having less cash on hand, Greatwide began discussions with its lenders in June of 2008. Ultimately, Greatwide missed an $8 million principal and interest payment due on June 30, 2008. UBS, one of Greatwide’s lenders, issued a notice of default on July 1st.

Greatwide Logistic Services Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy in the District of Delaware : Delaware Bankruptcy Litigation