Expediting from the westcoast?

Roger

Expert Expediter
I’ll be retiring from my county job and I’ve been thinking about going into expediting. From what I’ve read this may not work for someone who lives in Southern California. My question is; can a solo driver find enough work to live out here in the west? I wouldn’t need to be home every night or every week even, but it would be nice to see my granddaughters every month or so. Which companies should I look at for work in the west? Thanks

Not even a newbie yet. :)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As mentioned in another thread, Fedex is hiring out in Reno. It is not expediting but does require a reefer straight truck. If you have a paid for truck(or close to it) and live close to Reno this may be a opportunity for you.
It almost sounds like an ad?

For information you can call;
Pat Wallace at Fedex Supply Chain
Her number is 734-414-3000 ext.3053
[email protected]

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
Hi Roger,
I live in San Mateo,and have been an owner for 6 years.I have 5 trucks that run for FEDEX CC W/G.
I see my trucks a couple of times a year,thats about it.I have truck divers that have worked for me for 1 year who I have never met.
If you want to run solo around the west,you can make a living,but unless you pay cash for your truck,it's a rough go.I would not go with any carrier other then FEDEX of you are planning on running the west.
I suggest you get a partner and run team,go 48 states,and plan to be out 6 to 7 weeks at a time.Otherwise,find an owner to run for and see if you like the life first.
I'm talking to potential drivers right now if your interested.
Send me you contact info off line.
Take care,and good luck!
Tallcal

ratwell71

Veteran Expediter
Before buying or leasing an International please read my complaint letter and go to this Web site and do your research.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfm

M.L. Atwell Trucking
Mary Linda Atwell
XXXX XXXXXX Avenue
XXXXXX, MO 63109
(314)-609-3101
March 8, 2006

Customer Service Engineer (CSE)
Senior Administrator
International Corporation
4201 Winfield Road
P.O. Box 1488
Warrenville, IL 60555
(630)-753-5000

Dear Customer Service Engineer:

On February 28, 2006, I had my 2004 International 4400 (Vin # 1HTMKAAN24H592264) towed to Westrux International, located in Santa Fe Springs, CA, to be repaired. The vehicle had water coming out of the blow by tube (crankcase ventilation). This was noticed after driving the vehicle a mile down the road after stopping for a coffee. I immediately stopped the engine and called a tow truck. After a diagnosis to what was wrong with my truck, I was told that I would get help from International Corporation because of a premature O-ring failure on cylinder number 4. My truck has never overheated nor has ever been under maximum load capacity. In fact, my truck is registered for 26,000 pounds even though the manufacturer says that it can handle up to 33,000 pounds. I have a very clean truck, and I have taken extreme care of this vehicle. Westrux deemed it necessary to overhaul my engine despite my engine only has 219, 987 on it. This was because when the O-ring failed it emptied my radiator’s antifreeze fluid into the crankcase. This O-ring failure was not due to misuse of equipment because of overheating, cryogenics, chemical degradation, cavitations, etc. The head mechanic, Hector, assured me that he was convinced that this was a manufacturer defect. I feel very strongly that I should not have been out of any money seeing that I bought this truck brand new, and I had no control over manufacturing this engine. I understand that Quality Control has done numerous tests on different types of O-rings under different conditions because of the 2004 Federal Emissions Requirements and the need to be in compliance with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. I also know that International understands that it needs to act not only socially responsible for the products that it creates, but also ethically and timely when a complaint is made. I made this purchase at Alumibunk in Woodhaven, MI in February of 2004. The truck when purchased displayed only 11 miles, but had over 2000 hours of operation registered on the display. When questioned on whether this engine was used for government testing or International testing we were told that this was a brand new engine and it had never been tested just ran on a Dyno.

Unfortunately, your product has not performed well because this engine should have never failed this soon. Also, I feel that when International recalled my truck because of a software issue that the warranty should have restarted or I should have been extended an additional warranty because running the wrong software on this engine could have precipitated or caused the problem at hand. When the service department flashed my ECM with the correct software version, my mileage on my truck nearly doubled which means that when I purchased the vehicle it did not have 11 miles on it as well as the vehicle’s price was inflated because of inaccurate odometer reading. This was unethical and if I would have known, the engine had more miles on it than what was displayed I might have not purchased this vehicle. The fact that your technicians uploaded the wrong software version when I purchased this vehicle should be enough to hold International accountable. Running the wrong software for this engine could have done more damage than just an O-ring. The engine was not operating under the specs designed by the engineers. The software operates many facets of the engine’s operation, any of which could have contributed to the problem for which I am requesting retribution.

Therefore, to resolve the problem, I would appreciate your reimbursement for all associated costs. This includes the following: tow bill, hotel stays, car rental, labor cost, and lost time. I will send copies (copies, not originals) of my records (receipts, warranties, cancelled checks, contracts, model and serial numbers, and any other documents) upon request.

I look forward to your reply and a resolution to my problem. I will wait 48 hours before seeking third-party assistance. Please contact me at the above address or by phone. If I do not get a satisfactory resolution I will have no other recourse but to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), my state’s attorney general, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, etc. I feel I have given International Corporation every opportunity to make this situation right, but at this point I am getting annoyed by the shuffling of responsibility. I hope that you will work with me on this matter. International advertises that the DT466 engine is reliable, durable, low downtime, and minimal maintenance. I have not had the opportunity to enjoy any of these advantages. I, as a dissatisfied customer, was mislead not only by the research that I did prior to the purchase of the vehicle, but also by the false odometer reading. Altering the odometer is covered under Article 49 U.S.C. 32710 despite the fact that commercial dealers are allowed to stamp exempt on the title because the vehicle is over 16,000 pounds. When the vehicle’s mileage is altered by the manufacturer this voids the original contract. The customer has a right to know the actual mileage at the time of purchase not a year later when there is a recall and possibly damage done to the engine because of negligence on behalf of the manufacturer.

Sincerely,

Mary Atwell
President, M.L. Atwell Trucking
(314)-609-3101

uneasyexpediter

Seasoned Expediter
good luck with that!!!!

took me 2 weeks to get loaded outta Spoakane, WA! nice country though.

Big Bud Davis - R.I.'s Ayatollah Of Rock 'N Rolla