Expediter Services Vs. Mayfield Express

SwaggleCat

Rookie Expediter
Hi Everyone.

Help me settle a conflict.

I applied to Panther Expedited to run for Mayfield Express. My partner wants us to go with Expediter Services. Could those in the know help us weigh the pros and cons of both? I know he likes ES because they might help with travel expenses to get to orientation, but they pay .48/mile to teams. If they deduct expenses from our paychecks, there won't be very much left. Does Mayfield pay 60/40? How do these companies handle differential pay for HazMat, DoD and other situations? Do both of them use APUs on their vehicles? Are they all fairly new?

Thank you very much for your help.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The owner of Mayfield is on here. Bruno. Expeditors Services is very accessible.
Soo, why not call both and get the straight facts.

Add that to the answers you get here.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Just so you know the owner of Mayfield is a member here and Dave uses the screen name Bruno. I would say he is an honest guy and big enough that the risk of not being paid is not an issue. I believe that most of the time you can do better running for 60/40 because you take on a little more risk, though I am not sure how Mayfield pays.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

noneya

Active Expediter
Does es hire on solo drivers or do they only take on teams?

SENT FROM YO MAMA'S HOUSE!

MissKat

Expert Expediter
I sent you a private message, If you and your co-driver already have a "conflict" it would be manifested 100 times over in a truck. Please check your message box. Kat

SwaggleCat

Rookie Expediter
I sent you a private message, If you and your co-driver already have a "conflict" it would be manifested 100 times over in a truck. Please check your message box. Kat

Thanks! I got your message and thank you for the feedback. Re: conflict - I know.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Hi Everyone.

Help me settle a conflict.

I applied to Panther Expedited to run for Mayfield Express. My partner wants us to go with Expediter Services. Could those in the know help us weigh the pros and cons of both? I know he likes ES because they might help with travel expenses to get to orientation, but they pay .48/mile to teams. If they deduct expenses from our paychecks, there won't be very much left. Does Mayfield pay 60/40? How do these companies handle differential pay for HazMat, DoD and other situations? Do both of them use APUs on their vehicles? Are they all fairly new?

Thank you very much for your help.

Expediter Service and Mayfield Express pretty much does things the same way. We pay the fuel and tolls and so does Expediters Services. We each pay each driver a percentage of the Line-haul. Expediter Services is a good company and I feel we are too. We send drivers to them they send drivers to us. Not every company works for each driver. Good luck with your new journey in expediting.

Reactions: drizion

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Have never drove for Mayfield Express but have never heard anything negative about them. Drove for Expediter Services,. Very nice people and honest. You will never have to worry about getting paid. They pay what is owed and always on time. Down side, we left because their trucks were in such poor condition we could not pass a DOT inspection. Promised us a new truck but it turned out to be worse then the previous one, and the trucks were nasty. Spent days scrubbing and cleaning before could get in. Now if you get lucky and get a good, clean, well kept truck they are awesome people.

Sent from my QMV7A using EO Forums mobile app

noneya

Active Expediter
Have never drove for Mayfield Express but have never heard anything negative about them. Drove for Expediter Services,. Very nice people and honest. You will never have to worry about getting paid. They pay what is owed and always on time. Down side, we left because their trucks were in such poor condition we could not pass a DOT inspection. Promised us a new truck but it turned out to be worse then the previous one, and the trucks were nasty. Spent days scrubbing and cleaning before could get in. Now if you get lucky and get a good, clean, well kept truck they are awesome people.

I saw the inside of one of their trucks and it wasn't big enough for a team.

zorry

Veteran Expediter

They've been filling those trucks with teams for years. So they must be big enough for some teams.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
We were in one of their "bigger" trucks and I would have to agree they are not big enough for a team and they have no frills other then the tiniest of fridges that usually do not work. The last two trucks with them the fridge did not work and no place for microwave. We called it the "bat cave".

When with ES we could not wait for three weeks to end so we could get out of the truck for a week. Seemed like it was closing in on us. Lol Now with this truck we stay out most of the year. Might not see home for 6 months or more. Like a home away from home. ES's mistake is getting the bare minimum trucks because it makes the drivers want to go home more. Bad trucks but excellent people.

Reactions: drizion

BigCat

Expert Expediter

I don't know why. We had the kw with studio sleeper and we could both stand in the sleeper and never bump each other. The downside to the kw is the narrow cabs. The one I drive now for Melton is so narrow I can roll passenger window down with leaning out of drivers seat.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I know Expediter Services had a lot of the KW's a few years ago but they have changed to Freightliner trucks. Mayfield Express has 80% Freightliner trucks because they are easier to get parts for. Each company does things differently, they are the biggest fleet owner and have had great success in what they do. Paul and Jason are good folks we send people to them.

Sent from my SM-N900P using EO Forums mobile app

noneya

Active Expediter
I don't know why. We had the kw with studio sleeper and we could both stand in the sleeper and never bump each other. The downside to the kw is the narrow cabs. The one I drive now for Melton is so narrow I can roll passenger window down with leaning out of drivers seat.

Well, it sounds like to me you lucked out. I was offered a position to team with another person, but I saw the truck and I turned it down.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
The old kw's were both the short 72" and the bigger 86". U may have seen the little one. Panther got a mix of little and large sleepers. Fedex got all big sleepers. Now they are updating to 72" cascadia's which are much larger than the kW 72".

noneya

Active Expediter
The old kw's were both the short 72" and the bigger 86". U may have seen the little one. Panther got a mix of little and large sleepers. Fedex got all big sleepers. Now they are updating to 72" cascadia's which are much larger than the kW 72".

That particular truck that I mentioned is a 2013 (fedex truck). I can't remember if it's a kw or not, but the sleeper is not big at all.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
That particular truck that I mentioned is a 2013 (fedex truck). I can't remember if it's a kw or not, but the sleeper is not big at all.

What size/make sleeper are you in now ?