Expedite & Wait

kginscho

Rookie Expediter
I'm wondering if it's customary to get paid mileage for only one way when you sit and wait on parts to return to original destination.

Thanks

paullud

Veteran Expediter
If you bring the part back then that is another trip that you should be paid for. Did the trip pay a high rate that they meant to cover all miles?

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Doesn't matter if it paid a high rate or not. If your contract or Qualcomm or whatever op utilizes is an agreement to pick and deliver and if he gets to receiver and they are telling him it reloads back... ....at that point there is the matter of pay for the trip back. Sometimes it'll pay 75% of the tariff or sometimes 100%. Or whatever is negotiated. Run into this a lot with GM loads since XPO took over all of that. It doesn't matter if they paid $10 a mile to get the load to the plant. If they tell me racks are going back on my truck for the trip back (no if's, and's, or but's which is how they put it to me) then i'm also getting paid for that trip back. Anyone telling you the rate covered it one way (if you're leased on to someone) is telling you one big whopper of a lie and pocketing money off your free transportation. But maybe that is how it's done with cargo vans?

Last edited:

malthom

Rookie Expediter
Been driving expidite cargo vans for 9 years...no load...no pay....that has been my expereince

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm wondering if it's customary to get paid mileage for only one way when you sit and wait on parts to return to original destination.

Thanks

I want to make sure I have this right-- and maybe help anybody else understand this right.
You took a load of parts to a plant. I'm guessing some sort of factory or machine shop. They did something to the parts, then placed these parts back on your vehicle to return to the original pickup. Is that about right?

If it is, then you should get paid something for the back-haul. Maybe or maybe not as much as the original trip--- that's something you'd have to air out with your outfit. But, the back-haul gets paid something. I've never had a job with freight on board that didn't pay loaded miles.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Doesn't matter if it paid a high rate or not. If your contract or Qualcomm or whatever op utilizes is an agreement to pick and deliver and if he gets to receiver and they are telling him it reloads back... ....at that point there is the matter of pay for the trip back. Sometimes it'll pay 75% of the tariff or sometimes 100%. Or whatever is negotiated. Run into this a lot with GM loads since XPO took over all of that. It doesn't matter if they paid $10 a mile to get the load to the plant. If they tell me racks are going back on my truck for the trip back (no if's, and's, or but's which is how they put it to me) then i'm also getting paid for that trip back. Anyone telling you the rate covered it one way (if you're leased on to someone) is telling you one big whopper of a lie and pocketing money off your free transportation. But maybe that is how it's done with cargo vans?

Not if they said that they are giving him $500 for a 200 mile trip each way where the rate was supposed to cover the return. That means that the roundtrip was covered under the initial offer so no one is getting ripped off, it's just a matter of confusion. The driver could just be thinking that they are only getting paid one way but they were actually paid both ways. Now if the rate was $1/mile and this return load just showed up out of nowhere then that is a problem. The driver didn't give very many details about the offer so we can't tell.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If there is minimal wait time I will get paid for all round trip miles plus stop off pay.