Ether starting in an extreme cold emergency

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you have to resort to ether starting your diesel in extreme cold weather, here is the safe way to do it. This works, and it does not damage you or your engine. This applies to bigger diesels in d/e units.
10mm open end wrench- remove the plastic air filter minder. This will leave a hole just big enough to squirt 2-3 seconds of ether ahead of the turbo.
Squirt it. Put the minder back on.
Crank the engine- in extreme cold let it crank once for 2-3 seconds. The vapor has to work its way into the engine. Be patient- this stuff vaporizes really easily.
On the second cranking, if you have enough batteries left, the engine will most likely fire up.
If it does not, repeat the procedure, and be sure to only spray 2-3 seconds at a time. Overloading the intake with ether will not help, liquids are not flammable. It has to be sucked in as a vapor.
Best wishes for a safe winter-
--Weave--

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
BETTER YET GET A GENSET PROHEAT FROM TELFLEX AND
START THE GENSET FIRST AND LET THAT HEAT UP THE COOLING WATER
AND IT TAKES ABOUT 20 MINS TO HEAT THE ENGINE UP THAN START
THE TRUCK WITH THE GENSET RUNNING GIVES A BIT MORE POWER TO BATTERY'S
ALSO PUT IN A BLOCK HEATER TO PLUG IN THE TRUCK TO

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
x( I dislike having to follow another of GEO's sales pitches, but this really needs to be said here too. If your engine is the CAT 3126 variety, don't try the ether trick. These engines have an intake heater which would turn the ether vapor into a rather explosive mixture.
:7 A better idea for all, especially if you don't have $7k laying around to make GEO richer, is to have your batteries tested at the beginning of cold season and clean all those connections down to the ground terminal on your engine (I coat mine with vasoline). Then for insurance, if the temperatures are suspected to go below 15 deg, idle that engine thru the night.

Vernon

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
TAKE OFF FOR THE WINTER...OR DO COAST TO COAST RUNS ON ROUTE 10......BEST ADVICE!:D

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
veron946, sorry , but have to pay for the truck some how
you are very right on any of cat engines or computer control
engines. also when parked in cold weather even with block
heater. if the wind is blowing real hard or tunnel effect
if you put something to block wind from battery's that
helps to

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I did sort of mention that this is for big diesels only- NOT Cat/Cummins 3126/ISC'B's with flame intake heaters. Ether will fry your beards off and ruin these engines if tried- plus void the warranty. The ether start method I mentioned is only for mechanical fuel injection. Works with Cummins C8.3-B5.9 with Bosch. BE CAREFUL AND FOLLOW MY DIRECTIONS!