Engine RPM - Allison Trans -Rear end gears.. HELP

floridawheels

Active Expediter
I am currently looking for any assistance available in locating a '07-10 Hino with a 6 speed Allison transmission. I need to get some numbers from the outside of the TCM. With the correct number information I have located a shop that will program a TCU for me.

OR....

If I can find a wrecked truck, of the same description above, I can just purchase the TCU from it.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!

floridawheels

Active Expediter
I am currently looking for any assistance available in locating a '07-10 Hino with a 6 speed Allison transmission. I need to get some numbers from the outside of the TCM. With the correct number information I have located a shop that will program a TCU for me.

OR....

If I can find a wrecked truck, of the same description above, I can just purchase the TCU from it.

Correction: I am looking for a '08-10. I have a '07 and I don't think any '07's had the 6 speed programming that I need.

Again, any help greatly appreciated..!

MLTransCorp

Rookie Expediter
12R Are taller than 11R. In any size. Are the 22.5 low profile. I think you want to try 11R24.5 tires and rims. Had a simular situation in a cabover. Pedal to the metal (wide open throttle (wot)) was 70 mph changed from 22.5 to the 11R24.5 and helped the problem. YES the sped needs reprogramed. Luckily back then I just had to change the dip(dual in line package) switches until I hot the right speed. The vehicle you purchased was set up for a local delivery or route truck, not an over the road truck. Hendricks makes a two speed rear end $$
Don't understand if you already have that 6 speed Allison, or you can locate one but they are also $$.
Changing the tire size was my only option. I had 8 bolt hub pilot hubs, so I had fun finding the rims. You may need to get a bigger turbo, and some "Tunning" (reprogramming of the ECM) To correctly handle the different load/ rpm range to the power band of the engine. Some of the diesel performance shops might be necessary for that. Then their are a few that also have an auxiliary transmission controller that might be adapted to control the tranny. There are some of these to put that Allison behind the Cummins B 1 in the Dodge pickups. Check with the 4X4 magizines, or online forums. Have patience, it can be done. And correctly. Just keep asking questions.
I have a 1994 Volvo class 8 D12 425 hp Volvo motor with a RTLO14713C . No such transmission is made.
It is a 13 speed with 3 overdrives.
.98, .78, .68
So things can be done. 55 mph turning 1100.

floridawheels

Active Expediter
$200 reward

I am STILL looking for any assistance available in locating a '08-10 Hino with a 6 speed Allison transmission. I need to get some numbers from the outside of the TCM. With the correct number information I have located a shop that will program a TCU for me.

OR....

I AM WILLING TO PAY $200 for the information I need!!

Specifically, I need:

From a '08-10 Hino 338 with a 6 speed Allison:
1) Truck VIN
2) Transmission serial number (A picture of the tag from the side (Passenger side of truck) would be ideal)
3) All the info from the data tag on the TCM (Transmission control module) The TCM is located on the frame close to the transmission. There is a metal cover over it that will have to be removed to be able to see the tag, (Got to do just a little work for that $200...lol) There is a serial number and several other lines of numbers on the TCM. A clear picture of the tag would be ideal but you can write it all down if that works better for you.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Sorry, but I don't think this one is a six speed. I'll keep an eye out.

Edit: 09-up have a six speed option.

Last edited:

floridawheels

Active Expediter
Not sure why but I am not getting notified of new posts to this thread even though I know I'm properly subscribed. I'll make it a point to check in each day or so.

I'll get a pic of my connector plug asap and post it.

I would prefer to use a truck that WAS a 5 speed and has been reprogrammed but lacking that I'll take a truck that came as a 6 speed.

How you can tell: if it came as a 6 speed the shifter will be labeled "R, N, D,5,4,3,2,1" if it came as a 5 speed it is labeled "R,N,D,4,3,2,1" On the shifter there are two digital readout windows. The top one will tell you how many gears you have, the bottom one tells what gear your currently in. With the key in the run position a converted truck will have a 5 speed looking shifter but the readout will say 6,N. (6 gears available, your currently in Neutral).

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

floridawheels

Active Expediter

Hey Greasy "T"... This is for a 2013. You had previously said that up to 2010 was usable. What is the differences between the 2010 and the 2013?

If I recall correctly the main difference between the '07 and '08-10 is: All '08-10 have air brakes (An option on '07) They have DEF, and I believe the other thing you mentioned was an engine brake on the new units not on the '07. As we had discussed, none of these 3 things impact the transmission at all.

(NOTE: I figured out the issue with my subscription to this thread. Somehow I was changed from instant notification to weekly. I just fixed that so I should be kept up to date now...)

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
8-10 all have air compressors and exhaust brakes, but not necessaily air brakes. 8-10 dpf, no def. 11 up def and dpf.

After 11, there are differences in shifter consoles, the specifics idk. I mentioned early o n that I'm no good at spec'ing trucks, so exactly what came with each truck...well, I dont know.

I dont know if the combo in those pics will work or not. Im assumingv a 9-10 truck is most compatible. The shifter controls may hsvr to br replaced. I hate typing on thud phine.

floridawheels

Active Expediter
8-10 all have air compressors and exhaust brakes, but not necessaily air brakes. 8-10 dpf, no def. 11 up def and dpf.

After 11, there are differences in shifter consoles, the specifics idk. I mentioned early o n that I'm no good at spec'ing trucks, so exactly what came with each truck...well, I dont know.

I dont know if the combo in those pics will work or not. Im assumingv a 9-10 truck is most compatible. The shifter controls may hsvr to br replaced. I hate typing on thud phine.

I just spoke to the guy that is willing to try to program it for me. He thinks the one for the 13 in question has a good chance of working. He will save all the old info from my current program first just in case and then try this one. It wither works or not. If not, he will put it back like it was and I keep looking.

I HATE typing on the phone too....lol... that's why I waited till I was at home on a real computer ... That and I have been super busy on the road....

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I just spoke to the guy that is willing to try to program it for me. He thinks the one for the 13 in question has a good chance of working. He will save all the old info from my current program first just in case and then try this one. It wither works or not. If not, he will put it back like it was and I keep looking.

I HATE typing on the phone too....lol... that's why I waited till I was at home on a real computer ... That and I have been super busy on the road....

Well, that seems like it has a pretty good chance of working. Good luck!

floridawheels

Active Expediter
Greetings to all!

Well it has been a very interesting several months of Hino ownership to be sure. I'll make a post elsewhere in the forum about some of the issues I have had, the fixes and how incredibly helpful our in house expert, GreasyT as been.

In the mean time.... I have changed all 6 of my tires to a larger diameter. This has resulted in a drop of a few hundred RPM and no real loss of "Power" (If you can really say a heavily loaded Hino 338 has any real power to begin with...LOL)

However, I am still very interested in finding a 2008-2010 truck with a 6 speed to get the information from so I can have the trans reprogrammed into a 6 speed. The pictures posted by Whale were perfect... except for the fact they were from a 2013 and the computer is different enough that the info would not work.

I am renewing my bounty offer of $200 for anyone providing me the correct info. (See below). I'll also give a $200 reward to anyone that finds me a wrecked truck of the same description that has a trans computer in it that I can purchase. (Just the computer, I don't want to purchase the whole truck... unless.... Well I might consider it under the right circumstances...)

So $200 for the following:

From a '08-10 Hino 338 with a 6 speed Allison - The sifter must be the kind with a "T" handle, not the touch pad (MUST BE 2008-2010):

1) Truck VIN
2) Transmission serial number (A picture of the transmission tag from the side (Passenger side of truck) would be ideal)
3) All the info from the data tag on the TCM (Transmission control module) The TCM is located on the frame close to the transmission. There is a metal cover over it that will have to be removed to be able to see the tag, (Got to do just a little work for that $200...lol) There is a serial number and several other lines of numbers on the TCM. A clear picture of the tag would be ideal but you can write it all down if that works better for you.