Engine Mods - Chips - HHO - Water injection

mzraik

Active Expediter
Hello everyone,

I wanted to start a thread on engine mods. I searched the site using the most common of terms and did not find anything. Maybe, I used the wrong terms and there are tons of posts, but I haven't found any.

My interest is due to my trying a mod using a JDM ProM chip on my vehicle.
I am just adding this mod, and realize it could turn out to be a flop. The numbers at the pump combined with OTR experiences will be my determining factors.

My vehicle:
2012 Nissan NV HD 2500 Hightop
4.0L V6, 261HP
Nissan 5 Speed Automatic Transmission, same as the V8
GVWR 9100, GVW ~6450, Loads ~1000lbs
My average loads are 1200lbs or less. It's the freight business, the loads are rarely the same....
K&N Highflow Drop in air filter - Refreshed/Cleaned every 25K
Mid-Grade 89 octane gasoline .. only!

Starting mpg's around (15-17)
First mod added at 10K: K&N Filter MPG increased over time to (17-19+)
Second Mod added at 48K: JDM-ProM chip

I won't spend the money on a dyno (I'll use the Butt dyno for now), unless I see some extreme changes in the performance. There are too many factors that influence our mpg's and engine performance with everything from lead foot syndrome to tail winds that can muddy up the waters as far as results go. I'll report what I know and calculate based on feather foot driving. If it is good, then I'll say so. If it flops, then that is what I will say, as well.

Respectfully,
Mark

Last edited:

mzraik

Active Expediter
Hello Everyone,

I have had some 500-700 mile runs now that have shown that the JDM chip is doing several things. First off, I noticed that the shifting of the tranny is smoother while running through the hills of Tenn, WVA, VA, NC, SC, KY. I used to use the manual setting on the shift column to force a shift from 5 to 4 on inclines sooner than the preset Nissan settings. The chip seems to have made that a non issue! The shifting happens more like I used to do manually.

As far as the mpg's go, it appears that the fuel bracket has moved up.
I have been able to maintain 60 mph using the cruise control, the loads weights are the usual 1200lbs or less, and according to the math at the pump (Using 89 octane), I am now realizing 19 - 20.5 mpg). This is in moderate to strong side wind conditions. With strong and consistent head wind conditions (The flags are flapping out straight), it still stayed in the high 18's. What an improvement! These kinds of headwinds used to drive the fuel mileage down into the 16-17 range.
With a good tail wind, the mileage gets even better, over 21.5mpg.

Across the relatively flat parts with moderate traffic and light winds, the math has been working out between 19.3 and 21'ish.

Note: I ran the tire pressures at 50 in the front and 72 in the back - cold, in accordance with the manual. With my maintenance performed today, I will increase the fronts to 55 cold. The tires have been rotated, oil and filters changed, chassis lubed up, with the outside washed clean and ready to go again tomorrow. I am looking for the total setup, not just engine mods. Airtabs come to mind here...but not yet!

Another note: When I put the pedal to the floor - it takes off like a rocket! I'm glad I don't have to do that very often, but it's nice to know it's there :)

So far, I am impressed with the chips performance and enhancements.

I'll keep an eye on this chip and it's changes, good or bad, so far they have been good.

We'll see you out there!
Mark

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Very interesting. Might make the new extended version a winner after all.

mzraik

Active Expediter
Very interesting. Might make the new extended version a winner after all.

Hi LDB,

Don't forget the 2014 Ford Transit...It looks very much like the Sprinter. From what the Ford website states, it should be available in Fall 2013. I am interested in seeing how Ford and the other van makers are going to respond to the needs of the many van markets, one of which is freight.

Will the new vans hitting the market have the right mpg's, cargo lengths and weight requirements?
Will they be affordable?

It's gonna be interesting :)

Mark

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, that new Ford is interesting as well. It will depend on the specs and dimensions as well as the pricing.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was told that pricing on the new Fords would be inline with the cost of a new Sprinter.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Let's at least try to make the effort to keep this thread on it's original topic. Thanks.

DST001

Expert Expediter
I have a Question to all you Vanners out there has any body used a water injection kit ? I have heard good reviews on the net and bad still leaning towards they are a scam

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
mzraik,
Remember vehicles always run better after a washing and go faster after you wax em L.O.L.
No realy, those are good results. How are the Nisans for expediting? Skid work and heavier loads arround 2000 lbs. Took one for a 15 minuite ride empty and it drove nice.

Do you have a smart phone? if you du look up the Torque app its good for showing real time data.
I dont have a smart phone yet but used it to diagnose a check engine light.

DST 001,
I would stay away from water injection its only usefull if your running an extreme H.P. carburated, supercharged, nitromethane. Besides, you can chance hydrolocking the engine the results is death for your engine. or at least ruin the catilatic converters. You already have enough water issues with the ethonol in the fuel.
A high quality air filter, and tune up Autolite Platnum plugs and keep your radiator clear and engine coolant at 50/50 will help.

DST001

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the info Mr Wolf I don't think I will be adding a kit to my sprinter anytime soon lol

mzraik

Active Expediter
mzraik,
Remember vehicles always run better after a washing and go faster after you wax em L.O.L.
No realy, those are good results. How are the Nisans for expediting? Skid work and heavier loads arround 2000 lbs. Took one for a 15 minuite ride empty and it drove nice.

Do you have a smart phone? if you du look up the Torque app its good for showing real time data.

Hi Bob,
I'll look up the Torque app!

The Nissan does well for loads that are 2k in weight (About 2600lbs max). It rides awesome at that weight. The fuel mileage holds pretty well, too. Being a hightop, it's the wind that kills the mpg's, not the weight. I ran a load from Alabama to North Chicago Illinois at 2200lbs and the mpg's were 18.5 at a consistent 60mph. The indashometer for fuel mileage is accurate after you get 50 miles of history built up. I have measured this against the math at the pump. I use a chip, too, which I believe has enhanced the already good performance of this vehicle. I didn't have the chip at the time of the Chicago load...

The 2500 models have 114"L(I promote 108") x 54"W(Between the wheels, I promote 52") x 68.5"H (This height takes into account the planks and E-Trak on the floor that I installed, if set up differently, you could go to 70". I promote 68"). If I get a chance, I will remount the rear door latches and switch box on a locking swing plate and get the whole height of 71-72" at the door.
In addition to the E-Trak, the units come with 6-1124lb each D-rings. One set about a foot behind the seats, another about a foot infront of the wheel wells, and the last behind the wheel wells. You can fully stand up to work the cargo, and there is usually room to go around the sides, too. All of this is and more are the reason I bought it. Vehicles like the Ford Transit or the Nissan NV400 (The extended van we're all looking for) weren't available.

For most of the freight loads at 2 pallets, this thing kicks well. It falls short on the space for 3 40" full pallets by just a few inches. If I take out the passenger seat, and I am willing to physically maneuver that front pallet, 3 pallets can be hauled, it's just a matter of not being 20 anymore!

Well it's been a great Holiday season and now we are back into the groove.

Regards,
Mark

mzraik

Active Expediter
mzraik,
HI Bob,
I just ran 2K and have run 2200 in the past with great results. To the extent that I forget it's back there. This truck only has the V6, but it does a nice job of handling the weight. The ride actually gets better at 1000lbs or higher, but just like any heavier load, you need to be mindful about the turns and stopping - but that's just common sense IMO.

I been learning some hypermiling techniques that have been paying off with mpg's running in the 20-22 mpg range. The last run I had to CT actually calculated at the pump was 23.6 for a 250 mile stretch through the mountains of PA. This was hauling 2000 lbs! There was also a tailwind that helped, I must confess, but even without it, the mpg's would have been 22+ish. IMHO, Not Bad!
I will take a look at this app.

Also, I removed the chip to create a good baseline. I am waiting for better weather to do this, then reinstall the chip and measure for sure what the final results are. So far, the winds have been too heavy to see any difference one way or the other. I have noticed as I reported earlier, that the tranny works differently, and the rocket acceleration doesn't seem to be there as it was with the chip. Here again, I'm really looking to squeeze out the best performance with regard to mpg's, not how many feet of rubber I can burn.

The 4.0L V6 has 256HP (I think, I haven't had to think of that in a while), or maybe it's 236, either way, it's more than enough to haul loads even at the 2600 lb max that I could haul legally. I also have hauled 1500 lbs+ through TN, KY and other Eastcoast mountain ranges and feel the V6 does a great job. I have talked to some other drivers that have the V8 and they have said that they get about 15-17+ mpg. The V8 uses a technology that changes the active fuel injection from 8 to 6 to 4 as needed. One guy thought the cylinders turned off, but I think it just shuts the fuel injectors off instead, but that's a subject for another time. I could be way off, and until I have the time to research it from technical sources, I can be happy knowing my V6 stays a V6 all the time.

Until next time,
Keep the rubber on the bottom side :)

Last edited:

mzraik

Active Expediter
I have a Question to all you Vanners out there has any body used a water injection kit ? I have heard good reviews on the net and bad still leaning towards they are a scam

Hi DST,

I know this is a bit late, but I wanted to share what I have come to believe with regards to water injection.

If it is done correctly, it will change the density of the air that passes by the Mass Air Flow Sensor by increasing the moister content of the air mass. This greater density sensor reading tells the ECM that there is more air density (Just like driving in the rain), and that allows the ECM to change the fuel/air mixture to accommodate.

The results:

First, there will be a bit of cleaning of deposits that have built up in the cylinders, which is a good thing in moderation.
Second, the ECM will continuously run the mixture rich, giving you a bit more power, but definitely at a gas guzzling cost.

If it done incorrectly, the engine can be damaged. IMHO - not worth the risk!

I too, have looked at the YT videos, read the websites and so forth. Water Injection is something that might work on some engines and not others. I think the older motors would and have benefited from this technology, but today's engines are far too entrenched in other technologies for it to be controllable and effective. The same effect can be achieved with an IAT sensor chip that basically modifies the sensor voltage reading that is sent to the ECM, thereby fooling the ECM and achieving the richer F/A mixture, not that it's guaranteed, but it would seem a better approach.

The whole goal and purpose of my approach to the Cargo Van is greater mpg's through greater performance of the engine. Unfortunately, when you mention greater performance, most folks lean towards burning rubber, the need for wheely bars and so on. I just would like to tip the scales of profit in my direction, as do we all. I too, would like to announce record breaking profits instead of hearing about the oil companies all the time!

I'll keep looking and posting as I go:)