Engine Fan

ABEJR2004

Expert Expediter
I have a 2001 F/L Cummins N14+ noticed yesterday my engine fan kicked in, nothing unusual about it except it was not too hot a day and my temp gauge was in normal range. Stopped for a few hours and did,nt detect anything visually. Started out for home (3hrs Drive) and it kicked in just as i started down the road, and never kicked back out. So where do I start to look for problem?? Not sure if it's a clutch, sensor, selnoid or even the ECM. I know I should not run the truck with the fan constantly engaged + it burns more fuel.

Thanks Guys

AbeJr
(Still slightly a Newbie)
FedExCC
#D6425
OOIDA MEMBER

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Could be the fan temp sensor in the water manifold or a bad solenoid. But before you go that route. Check the binary switch on your AC dryer. Freighliners are notorious for them going bad and causing your fan too run non stop. The dryer is a black canister. On a century class if I remember correctly, is mounted behind the air filter housing. It will have two hoses going to it and two sensors on it. What you are looking for is the sensor that has a black rubber boot type plug on it. Try unplugging it and see if you fans stops running. If it does that is your problem. Good luck.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Usually if the solenoid is bad it won't come on. Not likely the clutch either as you said it took three hours prior to engaging. I agree, the binary switch @ the A/C or manifold sensor.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ABEJR2004

Expert Expediter
Thanks, I will give that a try and hope it it is something I can just replace, or it will be in the shop first thing monday AM.

AbeJr
(Still slightly a Newbie)
FedExCC
#D6425
OOIDA MEMBER