engine choice dilema and year model choice

brann524

Seasoned Expediter
I am considering purchasing new M2-MBE 900, 330Hp 1000Lb torque ,10 speed tranny pre-emmission or a 09 made to order M2 with cummings ISC 285 Hp 6-speed engine. Considering the EGR problems I've read on this sight what would you pro's do if it were you making this decision. The 07 truck is about 7000 cheaper in price. I don't want to buy a motor I'm going to have problems with right off the bat. Would sure appreciate any advice you all would have. Is ISC problem free motor?

Thanks
brann524

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
most of the egr problems i have read about here only relate to the sprinter mb engine and not the big truck engines.

how will the truck be spec-ed for that 285 hp engine? will it be single or dual axle? what is the torque? i have a 300hp engine in the truck i have and find it sufficient for the under
6k#loads i carry. when you get over 6k# then the lack of torque starts showing up from the stoplights/signs. the six speed also has a great start up gear but the tranny could use a 7th gear overdrive for better economy. maybe someone more experienced will add more info.

read the driver profiles section. there are a couple drivers there who talk a little about needed hp/torque for the truck.

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Buy used

Get a Cat or Detroit

Easy to fix
Can get fixed anywhere on the road
Parts are easy and cheaper to come by
Proven motors

My .02 for what it's worth

brann524

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the reply. Looks like we are going with the Mercedes 330HP 1000 LB torque 07 pre emission model. I apperciate your advice.

brann524