End of an era? S.S. Badger

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Seems like last year when i checked into it it was $120-130..i live around Kalamazoo Mi. ..and I go to Wi alot so I thought it would be a good alternative... but the cost and timming just didnt seem to work out...I have taken the ferry before from Long Island Ny. Over to Ct. That was only around $50.00 and only hour or two..was totally worth it... beat going back around NYC..

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I took the Badger from Ludington to Manitowoc in 2001 or 2002. Back then I think if was $85. It was a Friday morning. I had to be home in Minneapolis Saturday for a wedding. I delivered somewhere just east of Ludington, I was tired and needed to sleep. If I slept there, I would end up going through Chicago during rush hour. I figured I would catch the ferry, crawl in bed and sleep during the crossing. WRONG!

I got to the landing shortly before departure, with no reservation. There was room for me but I couldn't stay with my van. I tried sleeping in a hard plastic chair in the main room with the tv blaring. No go. I went outside into a cool and heavy mist. I tried sleeping on a chair under a stairway deck, out of the mist, but got cold. About an hour out of Manitowoc the sun came out and I crashed on a chaise lounge in the bow. When I got out of Manitowoc I pulled over and slept another few hours.

Price wise, it was cheaper at that time to drive through Chicago than to take the ferry. If I were to do it again, I would dress warmer and carry a blanket and pillow on deck. That trip I needed sleep and didn't get it. My own fault. Despite that, the crossing is one of those things everyone should experience.

Back in the 1930's my mother and her sister did a round trip Great Lakes cruise from Duluth to Buffalo with a side trip to Niagara Falls. I'd love to do a Great Lakes cruise.