Electrical issue

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
Have a 2006 Sterling Acterra having issue when lights are on the high beams come without touching and when using turn signals. it doesnt do it when lights are off. i have replaced several turn sig.switches,have replaced liught switch, have cleaned and used dielectric grease and still does this. Have talked to other owners who have same model and they say same thing but not sure what problem is. any help would be greatful.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Likely the turn signal switch. They don't last long. May have to replace the contact block if it is bad.
That is the part on the column where the actual turn signal switch plugs into. Dielectric grease will help, but only to a point once they are worn down. I repaired one by using jewelry tools. Have to be careful on the contacts though.

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Dave will try that i even replaced where the wiper module box also and still did it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It is a common problem. The only other place to look is the bulkhead module to ensure all the wire connections are good. Also, make sure you are using the correct bulbs. Some put higher rated ones in and they burn/short the connections.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I know on the m2 freightliner they have or had an ongoing problem with wires pinching in the steering tilt assembly my problem was wipers with their own mind
If the tilt assembly is similar the issue might be there as some fl and sterling a use the same parts in places